Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

There's an entire thread on Non-Availability but the bottom line is that a non-A slip CANNOT be given for a specified period of time. Regardless of the time specified, you can stay off base as long as required.

Good to know, and thank you!

• Upvote 1

Trying to get my stuff out of storage (yey they found it!).

And I was quoted three weeks for them to deliver my stuff from Columbus AFB to Scott AFB.

That sounds ridiculously long (STS). I got the phone number for JIPSO in San Antonio who I guess is in charge of it. So plan on calling them tomorrow. Just curious if I have a leg to stand on or if I will make myself look like a tard since three weeks is SOP.

3 weeks is it the no shit what they're required to do, it is possible they may get there sooner. I highly doubt calling JPSO will do anything for you. You obviously haven't been without all your stuff for 2 months yet, just wait till that happens and 3 weeks won't seem so bad.

3 weeks is it the no shit what they're required to do, it is possible they may get there sooner. I highly doubt calling JPSO will do anything for you. You obviously haven't been without all your stuff for 2 months yet, just wait till that happens and 3 weeks won't seem so bad.

2 months? Ouch!

No, I was just hoping I wouldn't have to much time on an air mattress. Pity they don't give us 3 weeks of PTDY. :(

2 months? Ouch!

No, I was just hoping I wouldn't have to much time on an air mattress. Pity they don't give us 3 weeks of PTDY. :(

Check to see if your base has a furnishing management office that can provide loaner furniture while you wait for your stuff.

I've been searching, but I'm guessing I'm just not using the right terms... my google-foo must be weak today. Anyways, I'm just commissioned via ROTC, and I'm about to PCS to my first PDS. I'm doing a full DITY (probably not even going to bring more than 1K lbs of stuff). I requested the advanced operating allowance of 60%. Unfortunately, I can't figure out where to get said advance. The counselor from the TMO office isn't sure if I work through my gaining unit or through his base (Patrick AFB), or if I work through my detachment (I assume the least likely option). Anybody have any words of wisdom here? I've sent an email over to the NCOIC from my det, but I haven't started bugging people at my gaining unit or at Patrick (don't really care to start off on the wrong foot). Thanks a ton!

If anybody's curious, I gave up and got the USAA Lt Loan instead.

Finance Guy and anyone else smart on all this:

I'm PCSing to another OCONUS base and have to store my car (right now it's at my house in the states with my family). The VPC is in Dallas, no where near my HOR, so I am personally procuring storage. My orders say "authorized POV storage" and I found the reg in the Defense Travel Reg saying I can personally procure storage. Now finance is telling me that to be reimbursed for the cost, I must have TMO at my current duty station write a memo saying I am authorized to personally procure storage and what the gov't will reimburse to (believe right now the max is about $270/mo). They are also saying TMO must add a fund site to that memo, but of course the TMO guy is telling me finance has no idea what they're talking about and the reimbursement would come from whatever fund site is already on my orders. Additionally, finance is saying I will have to file a voucher every other month at my new base to get reimbursed (WTF, there is zero way I have time or desire to do that). I don't know what to believe between these two offices, so hopefully someone can clarify the process on here. Thanks a ton for the help.

Finance Guy and anyone else smart on all this:

I'm PCSing to another OCONUS base and have to store my car (right now it's at my house in the states with my family). The VPC is in Dallas, no where near my HOR, so I am personally procuring storage. My orders say "authorized POV storage" and I found the reg in the Defense Travel Reg saying I can personally procure storage. Now finance is telling me that to be reimbursed for the cost, I must have TMO at my current duty station write a memo saying I am authorized to personally procure storage and what the gov't will reimburse to (believe right now the max is about $270/mo). They are also saying TMO must add a fund site to that memo, but of course the TMO guy is telling me finance has no idea what they're talking about and the reimbursement would come from whatever fund site is already on my orders. Additionally, finance is saying I will have to file a voucher every other month at my new base to get reimbursed (WTF, there is zero way I have time or desire to do that). I don't know what to believe between these two offices, so hopefully someone can clarify the process on here. Thanks a ton for the help.

You need to review JFTR U5462 and the few pages that follow plus U5470. Are you doing a POV storage in lieu of POV shipment or do laws preclude shipment/entry of a POV at GOV’T expense into that foreign/non-foreign OCONUS?

JFTR AF Supp says this:

6.11.2. (U5466-B2) Government-Procured Storage Not Available. The Air Force has NOT designated POV storage facilities under this paragraph. The TMO should issue a letter authorizing the member to self-procure storage until such time as government arranged storage is available. NOTE: This letter should not be issued for motorcycles under this paragraph unless there are no Non-temporary storage warehouses available.

So you have a choice to let the Gov't arrange it all and pay. If you choose to do it yourself, then you will have to pay each month and claim reimbursement at whatever frequency you decide but no more often than monthly.

AFI 65-114:

8.32. Claims Procedures and Authority for Storage of Privately Owned Vehicle. JFTR, par. U5464, authorizes reimbursement for storage of a privately owned vehicle (POV) when POV transportation is not authorized or storage in connection with contingency operation TDY. The member must provide a copy of the PCS/contingency TDY order and a copy of the paid storage receipt. POV storage payments are made after the fact, on a monthly basis.

Quick question, Google has turned up two bits of contradicting information.

I'm going to SERE this summer, would like to take a week of leave in California at the end of it. I've already signed the RIP with the requested leave. Now I need to get my tickets from Alamo Travel. Will they pay for a ticket from California back to Corpus Christi (up to the cost of a Fairchild->Corpus ticket) or will they only buy one from Fairchild back to Corpus Christi? I'm confused because of the verbage: "leave must begin and end in the local area" in one of the regs. I'd also heard that I could buy all my own tickets, and Finance would reimburse me whatever the cost the government would've payed. I don't have a real reliable Finance shop to talk to on base.

Thanks for the help.

Are you doing a POV storage in lieu of POV shipment or do laws preclude shipment/entry of a POV at GOV’T expense into that foreign/non-foreign OCONUS?

Japan will not allow me to ship a car, so that's why I'm storing it. All I get from TMO here is "we don't do POV storage anymore, call the VPC." Well, the VPC is no where near my HOR, so that's right out. If the govt could arrange for the storage near my HOR, then fine, but it seems like the only things they're willing to do is have me store my car at the VPC or reimburse me for personally procured storage.

I'd also heard that I could buy all my own tickets, and Finance would reimburse me whatever the cost the government would've payed.

You can do that; it's called circuitous travel. All it takes is an MFR that your commander signs, and TMO will write on there the max you'll be reimbursed by the govt for travel. You then have to purchase your tickets through SATO or ITT (i.e. not Expedia, etc). They will work with you to get what tickets you want and if it happens to cost more than the allowed amount, you just pay the difference.

Japan will not allow me to ship a car, so that's why I'm storing it. All I get from TMO here is "we don't do POV storage anymore, call the VPC." Well, the VPC is no where near my HOR, so that's right out. If the govt could arrange for the storage near my HOR, then fine, but it seems like the only things they're willing to do is have me store my car at the VPC or reimburse me for personally procured storage.

You can do that; it's called circuitous travel. All it takes is an MFR that your commander signs, and TMO will write on there the max you'll be reimbursed by the govt for travel. You then have to purchase your tickets through SATO or ITT (i.e. not Expedia, etc). They will work with you to get what tickets you want and if it happens to cost more than the allowed amount, you just pay the difference.

Awesome, that works. Thanks for the help.

Will they pay for a ticket from California back to Corpus Christi (up to the cost of a Fairchild->Corpus ticket) or will they only buy one from Fairchild back to Corpus Christi?

The travel office should be able to cut you a ticket from CA to Corpus if the price is equivalent to Fairchild to Corpus. If not, you may have to get your own round trip tickets from Fairchild to California, then resume your official travel from Fairchild to Corpus. This is a pain in the ass, but depending on your travel office, this may be how you have to do it.

I'm confused because of the verbage: "leave must begin and end in the local area" in one of the regs.

N/A when combined with TDY. This statement stems from the fact that you are required to be on leave status, even if you leave or return on a weekend. So if you leave Friday after work and return nine days later on Sunday, all those weekend days are included in your leave because it begins when you are in the local area and does not end until you return. Even if you don't put in for leave, finance will automatically deduct it from your leave balance when you file your voucher that lists the days of leave between your official travel.

I'd also heard that I could buy all my own tickets, and Finance would reimburse me whatever the cost the government would've payed. I don't have a real reliable Finance shop to talk to on base.

As Brabus mentioned, it's not a question for finance, it's a question for the travel office since they're cutting the tickets.

Quick question. Here's the scenario. I've been down here since December 09, so my lease at my house ran out December 10. I went to renew my lease and tried to get a 6 month because we knew we'd be leaving by July for Vance. Well the realtor told me he didn't do a 6 month. Only a year or month to month, and since we're leaving in July he wanted us to sign a month to month lease. We signed it, come to find out in March he's selling the house. I get a call in May that they've sold the house, and we need to be out by June 3rd. I fought with them and fought with them, and finally got an extention to the middle of the month.

Well this all worked out perfectly, because I finished up phase II on Tuesday, before the deadline so I could select today, however STUCON didn't realize when I was telling them that I had a cross country this week, and I'd be done by Tuesday, so they didn't turn my selection paperwork into the Air Force side. So now I'm not selecting until next week, and I'm waiting for orders.

I know I'm going to Vance because my number one and two are 38's and 1's, the problem is I don't have orders so I can't move my crap. I'm not expecting to get orders until around the 10th of June, which would be fine, but I have to be out of the house by the 17th. Is there anything that I can do to get TMO to set up the move of my household goods (without orders) until I get my orders, or am I screwed here?

Thanks for the help/advice.

BL

Quick question. Here's the scenario........ Is there anything that I can do to get TMO to set up the move of my household goods (without orders) until I get my orders, or am I screwed here?

Thanks for the help/advice.

BL

TMO are real people too...my suggestion: go tell them the Reader's Digest version of your story (you're anticipating orders next week, need to set a pack date of 13-14 Jun and a pick up date of 15-16 June, you'll bring orders in the same day you get 'em...can they please set the appointments up?) If they balk, bring out a letter from the CO that says the same thing, if they balk at that, have the CO call or visit...

Sometimes, just going in and explaining the situation and asking them to help you in the manner you describe works. Good luck.

TMO are real people too...

True, but they are people who follow their rules and regulations. I don't think your story (though legit) is going to sway them. I would suggest going straight to...

have the CO call or visit...

Talk to your Admin folks first. Don't know if they still do this, but you used to be able to get a letter in lieu of orders that was signed by the CO/Sq/CC. This would get the ball rolling with TMO prior to having orders in your hand. I know when I moved back to the CONUS from ETAR in '03, they TMO there had stopped using that, but this might suit your needs.

If not, then I agree with going to visit your CO.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'm going to go and work on the in lieu of thing. I've heard of it before, tricky thing is being on the Navy base, hopefully it works. Thanks again!

BL

Have you considered a DITY? Seems like that might be the easiest solution for you. It should be fairly easy to have TMO give you the brief with or without orders. As long as you document everything, it should be explainable that you had to move before you actually got orders. I'm sure TMO can also help you out with suggestions for storage before you have to move, which is claimable and not part of your DITY payment.

• 2 weeks later...

Finance Guy (or someone smarter than me)-

I have just moved from CONUS to a remote OCONUS base. I have been here for 3 weeks without my unaccompanied baggage even though I shipped it 2 weeks before I left my previous PDS. I was able to move directly into a dorm room but have essentially lived out of the suitcases I brought since I arrived 22 days ago. I saw in JFTR the section about TLA and I was wondering if I am entitled to a partial amount of it? I did not check into lodging because I was told there are rooms available immediately. I read U9150 and am just generally confused by it. My interpretation is that it appears I am not authorized TLA but I wanted to double check and receive all the payments I'm entitled to.

Any help is appreciated.

I have just moved from CONUS to a remote OCONUS base. I have been here for 3 weeks without my unaccompanied baggage even though I shipped it 2 weeks before I left my previous PDS. I was able to move directly into a dorm room but have essentially lived out of the suitcases I brought since I arrived 22 days ago. I saw in JFTR the section about TLA and I was wondering if I am entitled to a partial amount of it? I did not check into lodging because I was told there are rooms available immediately. I read U9150 and am just generally confused by it. My interpretation is that it appears I am not authorized TLA but I wanted to double check and receive all the payments I'm entitled to.

You're not entitled to TLA - this is strictly a reimbursement for your initial period before you get your own place to live.

From 9150

A. Purpose. TLA is provided to partially reimburse a member for the more than normal expenses incurred while occupying temporary lodgings:

1. Upon initial arrival (reporting) at an OCONUS PDS (includes reporting for TDY at an activity within the new OCONUS PDS limits (B-208740, 31 January 1983)) and waiting for a GOV’T QTRS assignment, or while completing arrangements for other private sector housing when GOV’T QTRS are not available;

Since they gave you a place to live, you're not entitled to TLA. If it makes you feel better, you wouldn't (shouldn't) have been able to claim TLA by staying in the Qs if the dorms were available.

You're not entitled to TLA - this is strictly a reimbursement for your initial period before you get your own place to live.

From 9150

Since they gave you a place to live, you're not entitled to TLA. If it makes you feel better, you wouldn't (shouldn't) have been able to claim TLA by staying in the Qs if the dorms were available.

Got it. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

SUBJECT: UTD/CTD for MAP 58-11(I)/CAP 73-11(I) -- PCS MALT Rate Effective 1 July 2011

1. SYNOPSIS: Change PCS MALT rate from 19 cents to 23.5 cents per mile effective 1 July 2011 based on IRS change and the Federal Travel Regulation §302-4.300 (41 CFR 302-4.300), indicating that the PCS MALT rate is identical to the published IRS moving expense rate.

U2605-B:

*B. MALT Rate

*1. Effective 1 July 2011, the MALT rate per authorized POC is $.235/mile. The MALT rate in effect from 1 January – 30 June 2011 was $.19/mile.

*2. The $.235/mile rate is effective for all PCS travel that commences on or after 1 July 2011 (i.e., the initial travel is started).

*3. PCS travel that commenced prior to 1 July 2011 must be paid at the old rate ($.19/mile) even if the travel was not completed until after 1 July 2011.

4. Par. U5015 clarifies general information and reimbursement ICW MALT.

NOTE 1: Regardless of the POC type used (except as described in par. U2615), this is the PCS travel MALT rate. Par. U2020 details official distance determination.

Anyone know why you get for a separation (not retirement)? The move is set up, is there DLA?

I don't think DLA is payable for accessions PCS (1st) or retirement PCS (last). At least that's what my memory holds...

Anyone know why you get for a separation (not retirement)? The move is set up, is there DLA?

6. May I be paid a DLA when I PCS from my permanent duty station/place of active duty to my home of record or home of selection (HOR/HOS) when I leave the Service?

No, by law there is no DLA authorized when the PCS is from your PDS to your HOR/HOS. In other words there's no DLA authority when leaving active duty.

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/faqdla.cfm#Q6