Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

Alright guys and gals, I think I found an official and current dity rate calculator. Hang with me as I explain how to get there.

1.) First of all you need access to DPS, which you can get from your TMO.

2.) Log on to DPS and go to Self Counseling.

3.) Click on the Create Shipment Icon on the right of the screen.

4.) Follow the steps until you get to the part where you put in your weight, then you can go back and forth using the arrows at the bottom and figure out an estimate of how much you will get for your Dity or Partial Dity move. (Don't save it or go too far forward or TMO will get your request sent to them)

Let me know how it works for you all! Thanks goes to a friend for finding this, I can't take credit!

Also, keep track of your mileage in the local area of Randolph, even keeping a daily log--those miles are separately reimbursable. As long as there is no government vehicle available for your use, POV miles between your TDY lodging location, your place of duty, and eating establishments are typically reimbursable at %.50 per mile. Previously, travelers needed to fill out a separate form, SF 1164, logging each POV leg, including date and purpose of each for reimbursement. It wasn't always the case that someone would remind the traveler to fill out this form, as it was submitted separately from the travel voucher. I don't know if it was standard practice, but our RA took to forms and processed the payment for us. Now, however, I think it is in the PiPs system along with the other forms you fill out following your TDY.

It could be helpful to just download the form and keep track of everything right on that--it's a little tedious, but even 10/15 miles per day for 3 months is worth and additional $675.

Edit: SF 1164 is used only for documenting mileage in/around permanent duty station, for instance, to claim reimbursement for an off-site or for an Honor Guard out-and-back day trip. Claiming in/around miles in a DTS voucher is simple: Expense tab, Mileage section, select "Pvt Auto-In/Around." I can't find a place to claim in/around miles in PiPS for mileage accrued during an en route TDY during a PCS.

Will you still get this TDY in and around mileage if you do NOT have a NON A? I would be surprised if you did, but am not sure.

OK, here at Columbus, I walked into Finance and asked about mileage. They looked at me as if I was on crack. They mentioned that I COULD NOT claim TDY mileage unless it was stated so on my orders. WTF?

1. When you go TDY, you don't know if you will be on or off base. If your TDY en-route, then your previous base's TMO cannot do the amendments (in my case, McChord).

2. They (CBM Finance) claim that I could claim a taxi (i.e. approx $21 a day....equal to the approx 42 miles a day I'm claiming to/from TDY and eating establishments for 120 days (comes out to about $2100 extra))....but that doesn't sound legit - to claim a taxi that I didn't use?

Bottom line, Finance Guy, what's the deal with the orders HAVING to state POC use authorized. ######, I'm TDY Enroute...it would seem obvious?

I'm only posting this because I'm about irate at the moment but in my recent move to Hurby my house has sold twice and both times the cocksuckers have backed out at the last minute (well I find out monday if the second contract has fallen through). Has this happened to anyone else? I talked with a corporate property attorny and the only thing I'm entitled to is the good faith payment they put down ($500...big deal). It's frustrating to say the least. There I was back in NE packing my stuff and I get a phone call saying this cheesedick is going to fold on the closing 5 days away. Guess it just goes to show that nothing is final until it's final but this is twice now and I've had to endure all the ass pain. Not that it's really on but RANT OFF. Worse part is my new home contract was contingent upon this one selling now I have now place for my wife and dog to stay. So here's to you mister deal backeroutof... :flipoff:

Cooter

OK, here at Columbus, I walked into Finance and asked about mileage. They looked at me as if I was on crack. They mentioned that I COULD NOT claim TDY mileage unless it was stated so on my orders. WTF?

1. When you go TDY, you don't know if you will be on or off base. If your TDY en-route, then your previous base's TMO cannot do the amendments (in my case, McChord).

2. They (CBM Finance) claim that I could claim a taxi (i.e. approx $21 a day....equal to the approx 42 miles a day I'm claiming to/from TDY and eating establishments for 120 days (comes out to about $2100 extra))....but that doesn't sound legit - to claim a taxi that I didn't use?

Bottom line, Finance Guy, what's the deal with the orders HAVING to state POC use authorized. ######, I'm TDY Enroute...it would seem obvious?

Do not claim taxis you didn't use--Even if you did those have to be approved too. Approval for in/around mileage (or taxis) doesn't have to be on your orders. It's one of those things that can be reimbursed after the fact on the voucher (see "Approve" definition below). Now if it's AETC funded it may be harder to get approved to be reimbursed, but many times the home unit (therefore your unit approves) will pay the cost and approve it on the voucher. Refs below from the JFTR--note in both C & D it says when auth/approved but doesn't say it has to be on the orders. Normally "Authorized" means it's on the orders before the TDY, but both allowances per the JFTR say they can be authorized or approved. So your finance office needs education on those definitions.

U2105 RETROACTIVE MODIFICATION AND AUTHORIZATION/APPROVAL

...Some allowances may be authorized only in advance of travel. Other allowances may be approved after

travel is completed. Other allowances may be authorized and/or approved. APP A1 for definitions of “authorize”

and “approve”. Approval after the fact, when permitted, does NOT constitute 'retroactive modification' of an order

to create, change, or deny an allowance.

Note: The only few things I can find that absolutely have to be approved in "advance of travel" (meaning on the orders) are premium-class travel accommodations, due to a medical disability/special need, Air Travel Medically Inadvisable and Actual Expense Allowance(AEA).

U3510 TRAVEL AT THE TDY LOCATION

A. Travel Points

. Transportation expense reimbursement in the TDY area may be authorized/approved for travel between:

1. Lodging and duty site;

2. Duty sites; or

3. Lodging or duty site and dining facility.

C. Commercial Travel

. When authorized/approved, a traveler who uses commercial transportation is authorized reimbursement of:

1. Local public transportation fares;

2. Taxicab fares plus transportation-related tips (when to the GOV’T’s advantage); and

3. Special conveyance costs between lodging and duty site and between lodging/duty site and dining facility (when to the GOV’T’s advantage).

D. POC Travel

. If authorized/approved, POC travel in and around the TDY station is reimbursed using the rules in par. U3505-C.

Definitions:

APPROVE(D). The ratification or confirmation of an act already done.

AUTHORIZED.

1. Permission given before an act.

2. The giving, through these regulations, of an allowance to an eligible individual requiring no other action. (Example: When the regulation states that an allowance is authorized, – the regulation means that an eligible individual has that allowance without further action by any other activity.)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tank Moose

Searched through the past posts and can't find anything quite related to my question. All of this is dealing with TMO, not finance.

I moved from Laughlin to Fort Rucker (993 miles) with 11,500 lbs as a full PPM.

I then moved from Rucker to Kirtland (1350 miles) with 10,500 lbs as a full PPM.

I was paid about $1500 LESS for the move to Kirtland.

Just trying to get some opinions on if that sounds right that I would have that great of a disparity in compensation. I had 1000 less pounds but I moved 350 more miles.

Thanks for any ideas!

Tank Moose, I would go to TMO and ask to see how they calculated your payment.

I don't know what will influences your payment more, miles or weight. If it is weight then that is probably the cause of the difference. However, I know rates for DITY's err PPM's or whatever new name they've come up with change all the time based on how much a contracted carrier would charge to move your stuff for that particular move. It is possible that the market changed enough while you were at Rucker to cause the difference. Either way, have TMO show you why you got what you did and if it looks jacked up call them on it.

I am going to LR in a couple weeks for requal, and instead of doing a TDY enroute, I am going TDY then coming back to Beale before PCSing. Now I need a rental car and everyone is pointing fingers at everyone else. Who is supposed to pay for the rental car? Gaining unit or unit I am currently assigned to?

Guest Touch & Go Rentals

I am going to LR in a couple weeks for requal, and instead of doing a TDY enroute, I am going TDY then coming back to Beale before PCSing. Now I need a rental car and everyone is pointing fingers at everyone else. Who is supposed to pay for the rental car? Gaining unit or unit I am currently assigned to?

Whichever unit is funding the TDY would pay for the rental car, if the rental car is required and justified. Historically, and based on my anecdotal observations, your home unit (losing unit) would have paid for a TDY out-and-back, which is why most TDYs were TDY enroute. However, I have heard more recently of some folks arranging for the gaining unit to allow a TDY out-and-back. For extended duration TDY, many families prefer the out-and-back since they can lend to a little more stability.

Bottom-line.... if a rental car is justified, it would be the unit paying for the rest of the TDY--that unit will be clearly identified through the accounting line on your orders (or selected through DTS). It should be relatively easy to justify a rental car at Little Rock, even if on-base quarters are available. Your flying and sim schedule will not accommodate you walking to the DFAC for every meal, so you will need to procure some meals off base. Also, base transportation is not setup to ferry you down to the flight line and back for your daily flight line schedule (the sim building, DFAC, and gym could be within walking distance, depending on which billeting building you are in).

Whichever unit is funding the TDY would pay for the rental car, if the rental car is required and justified. Historically, and based on my anecdotal observations, your home unit (losing unit) would have paid for a TDY out-and-back, which is why most TDYs were TDY enroute. However, I have heard more recently of some folks arranging for the gaining unit to allow a TDY out-and-back. For extended duration TDY, many families prefer the out-and-back since they can lend to a little more stability.

Bottom-line.... if a rental car is justified, it would be the unit paying for the rest of the TDY--that unit will be clearly identified through the accounting line on your orders (or selected through DTS). It should be relatively easy to justify a rental car at Little Rock, even if on-base quarters are available. Your flying and sim schedule will not accommodate you walking to the DFAC for every meal, so you will need to procure some meals off base. Also, base transportation is not setup to ferry you down to the flight line and back for your daily flight line schedule (the sim building, DFAC, and gym could be within walking distance, depending on which billeting building you are in).

Talking to MPF and Formal Training here at Beale, I can just elect to do a TDY rather than a TDY enroute, and that my gaining unit pays for the TDY while my losing unit pays for the rental car which doesn't make sense to me. How is it that nobody know this? I feel like MPF/Finance are making $h!t up off the top of their head. Is there no reg I can reference that dictates who pays for what? Nobody wants to pay for the rental car right now.

Talking to MPF and Formal Training here at Beale, I can just elect to do a TDY rather than a TDY enroute, and that my gaining unit pays for the TDY while my losing unit pays for the rental car which doesn't make sense to me. How is it that nobody know this? I feel like MPF/Finance are making $h!t up off the top of their head. Is there no reg I can reference that dictates who pays for what? Nobody wants to pay for the rental car right now.

This is not a call for MPF or Finance. The CCs or resource advisors in both units need to figure out who is going to pay for what. Normally AETC funded TDYs do not authorize rental cars so most are just stuck with their home unit funding it. In your case, the losing unit.

• 3 months later...
Guest goducks

We just PCS'd from the UK to Ohio. Our car was shipped to Baltimore. My wife (the active duty member) is being told that she is not allowed permissive TDY to travel and pick up the vehicle. She was forced to take two days of leave to retrieve the car. Is this accurate information?

Also, finance has said that she cannot get reimbursed for the expenses to get the vehicle (air travel, taxi from the airport to the port, one night hotel). Rather, they'll reimburse the mileage cost in each direction. Is this correct?

Many thanks for any information.

The mileage part is correct, you should get paid just the mileage (TDY rate) of driving a car round trip between your new duty location and the port AND the old duty location to where you dropped it off. The time spent should not be leave though. Look at the JFTR section U5413 part B.

Guest goducks

The mileage part is correct, you should get paid just the mileage (TDY rate) of driving a car round trip between your new duty location and the port AND the old duty location to where you dropped it off. The time spent should not be leave though. Look at the JFTR section U5413 part B.

Thanks Smokin,

I see the part about the mileage, but I can't find anything regarding the leave issues. Perhaps it's so self-explanatory that it doesn't need to be the in JFTR, but the folks at the Wright-Patt orderly room don't seem to feel that way.

We just PCS'd from the UK to Ohio. Our car was shipped to Baltimore. My wife (the active duty member) is being told that she is not allowed permissive TDY to travel and pick up the vehicle. She was forced to take two days of leave to retrieve the car. Is this accurate information?

She can't take The governing reg is AFI 36-3003 and it specifically states you cannot use PTDY to pick up a car:

12.8. PTDY Not Authorized. Unit commander cannot authorize PTDY if a member requests PTDY to:

12.8.8. Travel to pick up vehicle at port.

Now, that being said, I can't see any commander worth a shit making somebody take leave to pick up a vehicle. I would suggest she ask her commander/supervisor for a special pass to accomplish this. From the very first sentence in 36-3003:

It also is the authority unit commanders use to grant a 3- or 4-day special pass for special occasions and circumstances.

There is more detailed info under 8.3, but she should be good to go with this.

Shouldn't even need a pass, should just be a normal duty day.

"Travel time computed under par. U5160 is allowed for the round trips to deliver and pick-up a POV under par. U5413-B"

"5160-A4. When POV delivery/pick-up is separate from PCS travel, allowable travel time is computed using par. U3005-C2."

"3005-C2: PCS. Generally, 1 travel day is allowed for each 350 miles of official distance of ordered travel.. If the

excess distance is 51 or more miles after dividing the total official distance by 350, one additional travel day is

allowed. When the total official distance is 400 or fewer miles, 1 day of travel time is allowed. See par. U5160-E ICW additional travel time."

Bottom line is the JFTR repeatedly references computing travel time for POV pickup. What would be the point of computing a travel time if leave or even a pass is required?

Also, finance has said that she cannot get reimbursed for the expenses to get the vehicle (air travel, taxi from the airport to the port, one night hotel). Rather, they'll reimburse the mileage cost in each direction. Is this correct?

Many thanks for any information.

Check on R/T mileage. Check on no permissive leave since the authorized days are considered duty days for a PCS move

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm leaving for ASBC a week from today and graduate on 4 March and report to Columbus on 7 March. I plan on taking some of my stuff with me to ASBC but then I will need more of my stuff for when I get to Columbus. My car will not hold everything for me to just take it all to ASBC with me. I thought about driving back to SC (~5 hours) after ASBC and then using my dads truck to move my stuff to Columbus (~7.5 hours). Between my car and the truck we could easily get my stuff there, I imagine I only have about 400lbs of stuff to take. How would a DITY move work on that? My dad would have to drive one of the vehicles and then drive back or I could drive his truck and leave my car in SC for a week and meet them halfway to swap back vehicles the following weekend. What would be covered for mileage? (The trip to and back from SC or just the trip from SC to Columbus?)I haven't contacted TMO yet because I figure with all the people doing ASBC enroute to UPT somebody has had this situation already. Thanks.

Edited by ian2g3

Is Columbus a TDY point? If so for mileage you just get mileage from SC to COL and back. If PCS, you get one way. If you do backtrack or have dad help, you still only get mileage for one vehicle if single. As for the DITY/PPM, there you get what uncle would have paid to Send it to COL and then back. You can't fit 400lbs in a car? What about renting one of those top carriers?

Edited by Finance_Guy

• 1 month later...

I'm going TDY enroute to Malmstrom here in a couple months and my wife and I were planning on living in base housing. Our plan was to have her move to MT a couple weeks before i finished at Kirtland and get the house all set up and whatnot.

When we called up the housing office there today they said that I would physically have to sign into the base in order for her to be given a house, even though she has power of attorney. Is the housing guy wrong or can she get a house before i get to the base.

...When we called up the housing office there today they said that I would physically have to sign into the base in order for her to be given a house, even though she has power of attorney. Is the housing guy wrong or can she get a house before I get to the base?...

Common plan. Haven't occupied on-base housing in a couple years, but base housing used to permit you, the member, to apply for base housing the month before your RNLTD. Call them and ask. You may only get on a waiting list. Normally, only the member can sign for the house--I've never heard of a spouse signing for quarters. Don't sweat the small stuff--your unit at Malmstrom will give you 7-10 days to get settled (YMMV). Call your sponsor and explain the situation--you'll get the best advice from your sponsor--including help from your new CC if necessary.

Is there a such thing as Personally Procured Long Term Storage?

When I PCSed a couple years ago, TMO couldn't schedule someone to come pick up the stuff I needed to put in Long Term Storage (overseas PCS). So they gave me some letter, and told me to get a storage shed. I did and I am currently paying $75 a month for it back in Tucson.

Is this legit? How do I get reimbursed?

Edited by Vetter