What are my chances for heavies?

Okay, this took me a while to get around to posting, mainly because I feel surrounded by some really smart folks on here. Be brutally honest with me and while I am not using this as an excuse, let me give you some back history on how I ended up where I am today. Back in April, I had ZERO clue people could just apply to the Reserves or ANG to fly with no military flying experience until one of my friends got picked up flying C-130s. That’s when I discovered this form, Bogidope, etc. So fast forward to May, I found a few units I wanted to rush and knew I needed to take the AFOQT and TBAS, but since I wanted to apply, I rushed myself (ill prepared) to take the AFOQT and TBAS. I wasn’t super worried with the TBAS as I’ve taken the ASTB before so I just needed to brush up on word memory and 3 digit operations. So here are my scores and how my package is assembled. (So far, my first application has been rejected for interview due to my scores).

AFOQT:

P: 75, NAV: 26, Acad: 34, Verbal: 36, Quant: 34 

I honestly only studied the pilot sub sections and I got a little lost on the table reading (didn’t finish the entire section). On the block counting... well, I finished but I guess I bombed it. 

Took my TBAS and scored a PCSM of 70 (with 130 hours), 74 at 201+. 

Background about myself:

I’m 24 years old, Aerospace Engineering major, works for a Defense contractor currently as an engineer, 3.21 GPA. 

I have 4 LORs to choose from so far:

1. Former F-16 Pilot in the AF, retired as an O-6 (also current senior manager) 

2. Former Navigator in the Navy, retired as O-6 (current co-worker)

3. Former college professor who I have known for all of my college career 

4. Owner/President of the flight school I learned at

I have a PPL, 130 hours and growing daily. I have around 5 other packages currently out there, mostly heavies which is want I want. Some people I’ve talked to say I’m fine for heavies but hearing back from the first unit with a rejection is definitely discouraging. I only rushed them once since that’s all the time I had. There is a ANG unit locally who will have a board sometime this year but I’ve already reached out to begin rushing, plus I have some co-workers who fly and navigate for them. 

Any suggestions? I can’t retake the AFOQT until October of this year, which is my current plan to do. Obviously studying will be a huge part of that effort, along with finding a dictionary to understand all of those dang words. 

Thanks for all the responses ahead of time. Thanks for all current members of the services for your service, I became an engineer to build you the best tools for the job! 

Edited by Canyon_FlyerMH

Your numbers seem similar to mine. I am a prior Army 47 pilot. Most squadrons, the competitive ones, will want your PCSM score to range in the mid 80s. Don't take no for an answer and for sure retake the AFOQT if you can. 

Cast a wide net. Most chief pilots will tell you the same. Priority should be in getting in the seat. Once your a season rated guy you can study other possibilities to get hired at other locations. I was rejected plenty of times before getting hired. I was 29 then similar numbers like the ones above. Most units would be quick to send a rejection letter due to my age. But there are over 200 ANG and AFRC squadrons out there, and all you need is one "yes". You want to look good on paper with good numbers and what not, but you also want to be able to sell yourself as the right fit for the squadron.

Good luck. PM if you have anymore questions. 

Cheers 

6 minutes ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

Your numbers seem similar to mine. I am a prior Army 47 pilot. Most squadrons, the competitive ones, will want your PCSM score to range in the mid 80s. Don't take no for an answer and for sure retake the AFOQT if you can. 

Cast a wide net. Most chief pilots will tell you the same. Priority should be in getting in the seat. Once your a season rated guy you can study other possibilities to get hired at other locations. I was rejected plenty of times before getting hired. I was 29 then similar numbers like the ones above. Most units would be quick to send a rejection letter due to my age. But there are over 200 ANG and AFRC squadrons out there, and all you need is one "yes". You want to look good on paper with good numbers and what not, but you also want to be able to sell yourself as the right fit for the squadron.

Good luck. PM if you have anymore questions. 

Cheers 

Thanks for your response! I edited my post to add that I’m currently 24 years old so with the new age allowance up to 33, I have roughly 8-9 years until I age out. Hoping it doesn’t take that long though! I only rushed that unit one time and there were definitely people who have been rushing for a year or so when I was there. Do most units not really give you a shot until you spend more time with them? I was just so late to the game but I made it known that I was seriously interested. I reached out to the squadron, visited them and within about 3 weeks or so, I had a package assembled about a week to deadline. 

My co-worker who is a nav for the ANG unit locally said they usually don’t hire from your first interview... So if I got an interview this year, it would really be for the interview next year. 

I’ll send you a PM with some follow ups. 

My co-worker who is a nav for the ANG unit locally said they usually don’t hire from your first interview... So if I got an interview this year, it would really be for the interview next year. 

That would be specific to that unit. Plenty of units hire on the first interview, so go in to every interview with the mindset to get the job!

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Upvote 1