GPA waiver for AF Pilot applicant

I was referred to this forum by a current active duty AF pilot. I am currently in the end process of the AF Officer application process and currently have a scheduled start date for OTS. There are a couple of things that have come up in the last couple of weeks that have raised some red flags regarding the information I have been given by my recruiter versus what I have been told by several current AF pilots as well as a flight instructor. 

I am wanting to fly, however my overall GPA from college is just under the 3.00 requirement (2.75). What I was told by the recruiter that I have been dealing with is that if I want to apply for a pilot slot, I would have to get in and apply for a GPA waiver a few years down the road. May AFOQT score in the piloting section was in the top 19%, my air battle manager score was in the top 13%, and my navigator section was in the top 15%. I also currently have logged flight hours and am close to completing my PPL.

My question is two part. First, whether or not the information that I have been given by my recruiter is correct, or if the GPA waiver is something that I should have been able to get up front, which is what I have been told by everyone else. Second, if it is something that I should have been able to get up front, is there anything I can do to pursue that since I already have a scheduled OTS date for a non-rated position, and if so what avenue do I need to take?

I appreciate any advice/information that anyone can give.

Why did you apply for a non-rated board if you wanted to fly? They are completely separate boards that typically occur at different times of the year. At this point, if you turn down the non-rated slot, I believe you are ineligible to apply for any future AFOTS boards. The only established way forward would be to go to OTS and crush your AFSC then apply for the rated UFT boards down the road. I havent heard of someone getting picked up non-rated and making the jump to rated before attending OTS. The "recruiter is wrong/misled me" excuse won't wold much water, unfortunately. It is also not uncommon for individual recruiting squadrons to implement their own more restrictive policies in regards to GPA, waivers and so on. Their thought process is "why pursue a waiver when I have plenty of dudes applying who don't need a waiver?"

What AFSC did you get picked up for?

• Like 1

There are specific squadrons out there that have local requirements. I saw the 187FW from the AL ANG has a local 3.0 requirement. Essentially, that means it is unofficial, but if you are trying to apply to that base in particular, you're gonna have a bad time. If you can reach out to them well in advance and explain your situation, maybe they will relent.

It sounds like you're going the active duty route, though, so I think your recruiter is mistaken.