Rejoin years after a Medical DQ?

DinaMight

Back in 2018, I was medically DQ'd for a cornea thinning issue for RPA.  Long story short, I've since started working towards my PPL and as of current, in the final stages of getting a loan so I am committed to civilian flying however, maybe years later down the line, would I be able to reapply for Pilot in the USAF through OTS?

Part of me still longs to fly for the USAF which is partly why I'm getting biannual checkups on my condition to establish some level of recorded medical history but I understand the odds are still stacked against me.  

I just want to know if I should just leave the dream of flying for the USAF and wholly commit to flying on the civilian side or is there maybe, just maybe, still a way?  The thought was reignited couple months back when I found out the age limit was raised to 33 (I'm 23).  I just want a straight answer and stop with the wishful thinking if there is nothing there to grasp.  

Thank you.

On 7/6/2019 at 5:57 AM, DinaMight said:

Back in 2018, I was medically DQ'd for a cornea thinning issue for RPA.  Long story short, I've since started working towards my PPL and as of current, in the final stages of getting a loan so I am committed to civilian flying however, maybe years later down the line, would I be able to reapply for Pilot in the USAF through OTS?

Part of me still longs to fly for the USAF which is partly why I'm getting biannual checkups on my condition to establish some level of recorded medical history but I understand the odds are still stacked against me.  

I just want to know if I should just leave the dream of flying for the USAF and wholly commit to flying on the civilian side or is there maybe, just maybe, still a way?  The thought was reignited couple months back when I found out the age limit was raised to 33 (I'm 23).  I just want a straight answer and stop with the wishful thinking if there is nothing there to grasp.  

Thank you.

A guy in my  UPT class  got a waiver for this very issue under the REACT study. I'd say try again with a waiver request.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2019 at 12:15 AM, matmacwc said:

Did your eye get fixed?  If not, no.

My condition isn't fix-able. I've been told it's hereditary or possibly a injury from childhood, you can say the explanations are endless.

Regardless, my guess is that if I can somehow disprove the docs original findings by providing biannual exam results I can say "look, it's dormant" then would I have a shot to get in?

On 7/13/2019 at 7:54 PM, thoma015 said:

A guy in my  UPT class  got a waiver for this very issue under the REACT study. I'd say try again with a waiver request.

Was he diagnosed with his condition before or after commission? I've head the standards change depending on which side of the fence you're currently on.

Also, what's REACT?

On 8/18/2019 at 10:44 PM, DinaMight said:

My condition isn't fix-able. I've been told it's hereditary or possibly a injury from childhood, you can say the explanations are endless.

Regardless, my guess is that if I can somehow disprove the docs original findings by providing biannual exam results I can say "look, it's dormant" then would I have a shot to get in?

Try for the waiver, but they are going to ask what is preventing your condition from coming back tomorrow.  I’m guessing nothing is preventing it so the answer will still be the same.

On 8/20/2019 at 6:57 AM, matmacwc said:

Try for the waiver, but they are going to ask what is preventing your condition from coming back tomorrow.  I’m guessing nothing is preventing it so the answer will still be the same.

I've been out of the program for over a year now, how can I still go about a waiver or reappeal process?

Edited by DinaMight