Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Desk Jobs Suck

Dropping out of AD process for Guard/Reserve?

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of becoming a pilot on the AD side. I will be going to MEPS soon and assuming this upcoming board goes well, I'll be selected. I am interested in the Guard/Reserve side of things now and want to start pursuing that also but my recruiter said if I swear into AD and then bail, I'll never be allowed to have a job in the Air Force. Is this true? Say I swear in, complete my FC1 physical and then get picked up by a Guard unit, will I be able to join the Guard unit even though I swore in on the AD side?

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, torqued said:

What is your personal definition of "swearing in"?

Lol, well once MEPS is cleared and you swear in, that's what I would assume "binds" you to a contract. But can you break that contract and jump to the Guard side without ramifications? 

• Downvote 1

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I was already an officer in the Army looking at reserves and guard. Unfortunately for me I was 29 and most units would shy away from my application. Eventually I was going to apply to the FY19  AD board. Ended up getting hired by a ANG unit before the deadline and I was able to withdraw my application. There are plenty of pros and cons for going AD vs ANG / AFRC. If you are at all able, try to talk to folks that are currently AD and NG AFRC.

I am not sure how the timeline works regarding MEPS, swearing in, etc. I do know that if you were to apply to the FY20 board, get selected but turn it down, you will not be allowed to apply again. I think this is for the AD board. Also please note that once you are selected and accept, you will be on the hook for 10 yrs. Very difficult to get out of that ADSC from what I understand.

There are plenty of threads here that discuss lifestyles. Not sure if there is one for AD vs ANG AFRC. 

Good luck. P. S don’t believe everything that recruiters say. 

Cheers 🍻  

2 minutes ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Lol, well once MEPS is cleared and you swear in, that's what I would assume "binds" you to a contract. But can you break that contract and jump to the Guard side without ramifications? 

No.

You can't do that.

"Swear", "Binds", "Contract", "Commitment". If you don't fully understand or like these words, I suggest not signing up.

9 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

Also please note that once you are selected and accept, you will be on the hook for 10 yrs. Very difficult to get out of that ADSC from what I understand.

🍻

I'm still waiting my turn to go through the training pipeline, but I wanted to clarify you incur the 10 year commitment upon completion of UPT, NOT when you accept the training slot. If you fail out of UPT, it is my understanding there are the possibilities of being pushed to a different job with a shorter commitment (4 years?) or sometimes separated entirely depending on the needs of the AF. 

My advice: If you want a Guard/Reserve slot, apply for that. If you want active duty, do that. Don't try mix the processes to shorten the timeline or ensure a job. It's a recipe for disaster. 

Also, it turns out my phone is incapable of deleting the cheers emoji. Interesting.

44 minutes ago, Fly For a 62E said:

I'm still waiting my turn to go through the training pipeline, but I wanted to clarify you incur the 10 year commitment upon completion of UPT, NOT when you accept the training slot. If you fail out of UPT, it is my understanding there are the possibilities of being pushed to a different job with a shorter commitment (4 years?) or sometimes separated entirely depending on the needs of the AF. 

My advice: If you want a Guard/Reserve slot, apply for that. If you want active duty, do that. Don't try mix the processes to shorten the timeline or ensure a job. It's a recipe for disaster. 

Also, it turns out my phone is incapable of deleting the cheers emoji. Interesting.

Thanks for correcting the above statement. The 10 yr jail sentence begins after the completion of UPT. 

2 hours ago, Fly For a 62E said:

Yes and no, you sign the commitment a couple of times just after swearing in, if booted from pilot training it’s 4 years doing something else.

If there was only some sort of "instruction" the AF could put out that was searchable via the internet that would answer this question...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

I wish there were a way to get a FC1 physical without any commitments. 

IFC1s take time and money, so just like anything, you wont be given one unless you need it, i.e.being Rated.

19 hours ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of becoming a pilot on the AD side. I will be going to MEPS soon and assuming this upcoming board goes well, I'll be selected. I am interested in the Guard/Reserve side of things now and want to start pursuing that also but my recruiter said if I swear into AD and then bail, I'll never be allowed to have a job in the Air Force. Is this true? Say I swear in, complete my FC1 physical and then get picked up by a Guard unit, will I be able to join the Guard unit even though I swore in on the AD side?

So you're in the process of applying to an Officer Training School Selection Board with pilot as your priority. If/when you actually get selected for a pilot position that's when they'll start the SF86 process and schedule your IFC1. If you don't pass you IFC1 you may be offered a different position, or you can opt out of the process no harm no foul.

However, say you're selected for CSO, or even security forces officer; what we've been told is that if you decline being an OTS select in any way, then yes the door to active duty gets shut. If you really wanna try your luck if you get selected for AD Pilot, you could go through and get your IFC1 done, get your SF86 sorted, apply to Guard units, and if you get in, burn your bridge to AD at that time. It would probably not be pretty but you're certainly free to try it.

It looks like there are 2 schools of thought on this. I can do it or I can't do it. If I do do it, it won't barr me from the ANG side, correct? 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, tea_baggins said:

If there was only some sort of "instruction" the AF could put out that was searchable via the internet that would answer this question...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Not following boss...

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Not following boss...

Not surprising. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Quit putting your foot in your mouth.  To break it down for you... once you are offered the AD commission, meaning you are selected by the board, your recruiter is correct.  If you say 'no' at that point, you are essentially barred from receiving a commission.  Up until that point, you haven't committed to anything.  Don't waste an AD recruiters time if that's not 100% the path you want to take....they're already stretched thin enough.

4 hours ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Not following boss...

AKA "Air Force Instruction" 

AAKA "AFI" 

e-publishing.af.mil has everything you could ever hope to know and not know regarding AF regulations. Er, I mean "instructions".

1 hour ago, dmginc said:

Quit putting your foot in your mouth.  To break it down for you... once you are offered the AD commission, meaning you are selected by the board, your recruiter is correct.  If you say 'no' at that point, you are essentially barred from receiving a commission.  Up until that point, you haven't committed to anything.  Don't waste an AD recruiters time if that's not 100% the path you want to take....they're already stretched thin enough.

Well, I am interested in both AD or Guard/Reserves which is why I asked the question. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Well, I am interested in both AD or Guard/Reserves which is why I asked the question. 

If you're interested in both, rush Guard and Reserve units and if you're not being picked by those go AD. Don't half ass two things, whole ass one thing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My understanding as an applicant goes like this. You can sit in the AD applicant pool and still rush guard units. If/when the AD board convenes and offers you a position and you accept it you are then bound to the AD route. But up until the day you are offered an AD position you are free to chase guard units. 

• Upvote 1

I remember when this was a helpful and inviting place for new guys. Jeez, the dude is not in the AF, why would he know anything about AFIs?! And for a civilian, the recruiter is their only access to any information about AD, guard or reserve, and that's the recruiters job, to inform them...so saying they're wasting the recruiters time is such a load of BS. You guys make me ashamed...

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

On 6/28/2019 at 10:35 AM, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Not following boss...

Because he’s being passive aggressive.  We will be helpful and funny but if you’re asking for advice, be respectful and know your place.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2019 at 9:29 AM, Desk Jobs Suck said:

I wish there were a way to get a FC1 physical without any commitments. 

The only way to get an FC1 without any commitments is to go into the guard. What everyone else is saying is true. Let me distill it down for you plainly:

1) If you go the active duty route, once you swear in, they're going to have you doing something. Even if you flunk the FC1, you're most likely going to incur a 4 year commitment doing some other officer job. 

2) Once you decline an AD commissioning offer for which you applied, you will no longer be considered for future boards on the AD side.

3) If you are working through the process on the AD side, they will control your paperwork. So if you're pursuing both paths, AD will have to fully release all of your info before the guard can "take control" of your file. Which means lengthy waits, depending on how much you pissed off your recruiter.

4) Rush guard and reserve units. They will swear you in as an enlisted bro (E-3 typically) to get you on orders and moved through the process. Make sure your contract says "enlisting for the purpose of commissioning as a pilot with [insert squadron here]." That way if you flunk out anywhere in the process, you receive an Entry Level Separation and off you go back to whatever desk you were flying before.

Bottom line, forget AD. Go guard or reserve. And respect the older bros on here (and everywhere, for that matter). Calling people 'boss' and being passive aggressive won't yield good results for you if you plan to have any success in your 12 years of military service.

Edited by GDAL
added a line
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, GDAL said:

The only way to get an FC1 without any commitments is to go into the guard. What everyone else is saying is true. Let me distill it down for you plainly:

1) If you go the active duty route, once you swear in, they're going to have you doing something. Even if you flunk the FC1, you're most likely going to incur a 4 year commitment doing some other officer job. 

2) Once you decline an AD commissioning offer for which you applied, you will no longer be considered for future boards on the AD side.

3) If you are working through the process on the AD side, they will control your paperwork. So if you're pursuing both paths, AD will have to fully release all of your info before the guard can "take control" of your file. Which means lengthy waits, depending on how much you pissed off your recruiter.

4) Rush guard and reserve units. They will swear you in as an enlisted bro (E-3 typically) to get you on orders and moved through the process. Make sure your contract says "enlisting for the purpose of commissioning as a pilot with [insert squadron here]." That way if you flunk out anywhere in the process, you receive an Entry Level Separation and off you go back to whatever desk you were flying before.

Bottom line, forget AD. Go guard or reserve. And respect the older bros on here (and everywhere, for that matter). Calling people 'boss' and being passive aggressive won't yield good results for you if you plan to have any success in your 12 years of military service.

Thanks for the info. Surprising that people are getting offended by the word "boss". Interesting that you are able to draw passive aggressiveness from a post with no indication of tone. I was not intending to be a smart ass to anyone and was genuinely asking a question. I didn't think I was coming off as disrespectful and not know my place. Anyway, looks like I know what to do now and not create unnecessary risk and waste peoples time. 

• Downvote 1

18 hours ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Thanks for the info. Surprising that people are getting offended by the word "boss". Interesting that you are able to draw passive aggressiveness from a post with no indication of tone. I was not intending to be a smart ass to anyone and was genuinely asking a question. I didn't think I was coming off as disrespectful and not know my place. Anyway, looks like I know what to do now and not create unnecessary risk and waste peoples time. 

This entire post could have been accomplished with one word: understood.

• Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, GDAL said:

This entire post could have been accomplished with one word: understood.

Sorry majesty. Understood. 

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3