Syncopal episode

The wife and I are both WSOs on AD...15ish years for me on the MDS, about 10 for her.

She is in excellent health, not on meds, etc.  This weekend she experienced two syncopal episodes (loss of consciousness) while we were eating lunch.  No alcohol involved, she had finished her food and all she was drinking was water.  First time lasted 60-90 seconds, second time occurred while paramedics were checking BP and lasted less than 10 seconds.  She had low BP (no surprise there) but at the ER all her labs came back normal.  She's not pregnant (that was confirmed).  No root cause established.  Saw the flight doc today, more labs (NSTR) and she is now trying to get an appointment with a cardiologist but that will take a little while.

Anyway, the flight doc says it could be a bit of work to get her returned to flight status.  Does anyone know which regulation would apply to this and specifically, where waiver information might be found?  Her DO recommended we familiarize ourselves with the terminology surrounding the waiver so she can use the right vocabulary with the cardiologist (who will be a civilian) and increase her chances of returning to fly.  Fortunately, she is PCSing shortly to a non-flying gig (school) so there is some time to work this without it impacting an ops assignment.

Thanks for any help or advice in advance.  PMs welcome, but open responses are fine too, as they might help someone else in a similar situation.

Used to be easy to find on Google... But no luck when I just searched.

You can get it from an official source though. I believe if you search for the medical KX site on air Force portal, you can sign up for an account an get to the waiver guide that way.

Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you the copy I have (Sep 2018)

Used to be easy to find on Google... But no luck when I just searched.

You can get it from an official source though. I believe if you search for the medical KX site on air Force portal, you can sign up for an account an get to the waiver guide that way.

Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you the copy I have (Sep 2018)

We had a pilot in my squadron who passed out and fell. It took months of medical stuff and the Sq/CC fighting tooth and nail to return that pilot to flight status. Even then they had to always fly with an IP and we had to make specific comments/notes in their training folder. That training folder was nearly two inches thick several years later when they finally received the med ok to upgrade to AC.

It was a longer blackout and a fall...but the bottom line is you will have to fight hard and have leadership backing you.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• 2 months later...

Quick update - return to fly approved! Total time DNIF was about 5 weeks and included a PCS. Two awesome docs worked together and put in the waiver paperwork. Definitely helped that it was a “one-off” event, and was written up as such. Also, no cause was discovered which allowed the docs more leeway to use their judgement.

• Upvote 1