How am I looking/opinion on Guard vs Reserve slot

Thanks in advance to all reading/offering your opinions! Looking to see how I stack up and your opinions on my next move. Currently Shot-gunning Apps to the majority Guard units hiring. Leaning towards Heavies but open to all except UAS.

MIL EXP: Rank-TSGT, ANG, F-16 CREW CHIEF, TIS:10+years w SECRET Clearance

AFOQT: P:97, NAV:67, AA:33, V:38, QT:29

PCSM:81    (61-80hrs=85)(81-100hrs=89)(101-200hrs=92)(201hrs+ = 96)

FLIGHT HRS: 52 w/Student Pilot Cert,FAA 1st Class Med

DEGREE: AEROSPACE OPERATIONS GPA:2.70

Weakness:
1.My college GPA; cant change the past but have learned from my past failure and willing to show how.
2.Flight Hours/no PPL; Right now I am working on getting my PPL and bumping my hours up which will also increase my PCSM. 

After shooting out apps to various UPT openings I've had 4 interviews so far. Unfortunately I haven't been offered that UPT slot yet. I've been offered and turned down a WSO(B1) and NAV(C130). 
I recently found out about the Reserves Un-sponsored Board and am very interested in that route as well. My only worry with going unsponsored is that if I don't get picked up before finishing UPT I could potentially get stuck flying some damn drone.

Ultimately In my position at my age would you keep grinding it out and stick to applying for Guard slots for a few years and keep the reserves as a back up, or just go all in on the unsponsored reserve slot?

Thank you!

I'm not sure if they bumped Unsponsored age cutoff up with the general UPT cutoff age (from 30 to 33), but I thought it was 28.. So, if not, you might be a little late to grab one of those. My .02 from the few Unsponsored dudes I know here at UPT is that it's not terrible. One got picked up before even starting UPT and the others are still in the hunt. You'll be likely shunted into T1s and leaving fighters a very long shot, but it's not impossible if you get picked up. I wouldn't rule it out if it's an option. They need meat in the seats, so my brief time on base at UPT hasn't had anyone dropping drones. But, that can always change.

You have a good explanation for the college scores, but you might have to overcome the AFOQT scores, too. Your pilot is strong, and your PCSM is decent for heavies (fighters will be a stretch, I'd guess), but the other scores might on the low side for a lot of boards. I had a low Quant, so they can definitely be overcome, but you've got a few that aren't helping much. 

In the end, it depends on how bad you want to fly mil, no matter the airframe, or if you're set on a certain mission. Keep networking and making friends in the community; that'll help, too! Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Hey FDNYOldGuy thanks for the feedback!

I believe they bumped the age cut off for unsponsored board as well but I will have to double check. Sounds like the un-sponsored board is not a bad route to take for heavies! Yea its hard to overcome some of those AFOQT scores. Might have to retake it in the future if nothing has panned out. 

Going to keep grinding it out and Let Jesus take the yoke!

Appreciate all the info!

No worries, dude! I'll definitely offer up the advice someone told me: make everyone tell you "No." Apply everywhere you'd consider applying to and to every airframe you'd think you'd enjoy flying. You're not out of any fight until they definitively have told you, "No," and closed the door on coming back for another application period. 

Unsponsored is good and you might have a leg up getting hired if you're already through OTS and here at UPT, because you've got pilot community connections helping make connections at a unit and an interested unit just has to agree to pick up the tab. In the Guard pipeline, this is doubly so, as they have to fight for each training slot (OTS, IFT/SERE, UPT, etc.); the Reserves just have you shunted to the 340th, which handles all training for all Reservists, regardless of the squadron. 

On the downside, until you get picked up, you're at the whim of the Reserves and don't have a "champion" of your cause. If you're picked up by a unit before starting the ride, you'll have them in your corner if you hit any bumps and to help push your paperwork. 

Pros and cons to both. Either way, just keep doing all you can to get that spot!

• Upvote 1

Never outa the Fight! Love that advice dude! 

Also Check on the age and they bumped it up to 33 so that's great news. Is it true that if selected as an unsponsored reserve candidate and you haven't been picked up yet in UPT there will be a AFR Liaison Officer to help you get sponsored while you focus on training?

Thanks!

Yes, as I understand it, part of what they do (beyond wrangling us Reservists) is to help place Unsponsored folks because they can't really go chasing down interviews while in training. But, there's always the chance "needs of the AF" overrules if you don't get picked up. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks in advance to all reading/offering your opinions! Looking to see how I stack up and your opinions on my next move. Currently Shot-gunning Apps to the majority Guard units hiring. Leaning towards Heavies but open to all except UAS. AGE: 28 

DEGREE: AEROSPACE OPERATIONS GPA:2.70   Weakness: 1.My college GPA; cant change the past but have learned from my past failure and willing to show how. 2.Flight Hours/no PPL; Right now I am working on getting my PPL and bumping my hours up which will also increase my PCSM.    After shooting out apps to various UPT openings I've had 4 interviews so far. Unfortunately I haven't been offered that UPT slot yet. I've been offered and turned down a WSO(B1) and NAV(C130).  I recently found out about the Reserves Un-sponsored Board and am very interested in that route as well. My only worry with going unsponsored is that if I don't get picked up before finishing UPT I could potentially get stuck flying some damn drone.   Ultimately In my position at my age would you keep grinding it out and stick to applying for Guard slots for a few years and keep the reserves as a back up, or just go all in on the unsponsored reserve slot?   Thank you!  

Hey Viper,

Your test scores, GPA, and flight hours look fairly similar to mine when I applied to heavy Reserve units. It’s really common for units, both ANG and Reserve, to offer nav slots to applicants who do not have their PPL. When I did my interview, I came across a few applicants who originally submitted a package for pilot interviewing for nav due to low flight hours and no PPL. So I think you’re on the right path by pursuing your PPL and raising hours at the same time. I had about 110hrs with a PPL at big 30 (current age limit for UPT is 33) when was hired.

Applying for unsponsored slots is definitely an option, however keep in mind that your sponsorship status is one of the selection criteria along with many other factors (GPA, flight hours, AFOQT, PCSM, leadership, etc.) for the AFRC board. Unlike sponsored applicants, not all unsponsored applicants get selected on the AFRC board.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help with the Reserve process, interview pointers, or what have you. I recently went through the process so my knowledge on this topic is fairly fresh.

• Like 1

Your scores are somewhat near mine when I got started. Had the same age as well and for the most part most of the heavy units wanted to see mid 80s PCSM score and age no more than 27.5. Your luck has changed since the new MRF, from what I understands covers all AD, AFRC, ANG. Furthermore, all you need is flight hours to increase your score which is awesome. 

Something I wish I would have done when rushing units was not focus so much on the bad (age, scores, GPA). I would always be quick to talk about the stuff I am still trying to work on (test scores, ppl, etc). Focus on the good that you have and how you will be a good addition to the squadron. Its easy to get worked on requirements and what makes you look good on paper. However, at least in my experience when I was rushing multiple heavy units, was that most of the bros cared about you been a "cool" guy to go drink beers with. This translates into you being the type of bro that other pilots will be able to tolerate during a 8 hr trip across the pond. Be sure to show them that you will be able to fit in with the guys... or gals. 

Anyway, I get its easier said than done, but your scores are good in my opinion and your chances of finding a home look great. Get after it!!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 5:40 PM, ViperChief720 said:

Thanks in advance to all reading/offering your opinions! Looking to see how I stack up and your opinions on my next move. Currently Shot-gunning Apps to the majority Guard units hiring. Leaning towards Heavies but open to all except UAS.

DEGREE: AEROSPACE OPERATIONS GPA:2.70

Our stats are pretty similar, my GPA was slightly higher but a lot of folks dont really care about it anyways. It might carry greater weight with the unsponsored board though. 

Pro-tip, if you still have a cac, look at the reserve vacancy finder in AFPC on the portal. You'll be able to see slots and usually they'll have a POC you can harass. I went this route and was invited to an interview that wasn't publicly posted, so there were only about 5 of us that showed up.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 6/18/2019 at 12:00 AM, Jetpower said:

Applying for unsponsored slots is definitely an option, however keep in mind that your sponsorship status is one of the selection criteria along with many other factors (GPA, flight hours, AFOQT, PCSM, leadership, etc.) for the AFRC board. Unlike sponsored applicants, not all unsponsored applicants get selected on the AFRC board.

The AFRC board - where / when does that come in the process? Is the board that decides whether or not a unit will select you? Or is it separate from your acceptance by the unit? Thanks - I am still learning about the process and not fully clear on the entire mechanics.