ARNG to ANG

Army pilot , previously commissioned but reverted from a 1st Lt. to a W01 in 2013 and now a CW2. Applied to a heavy unit . Found out the deadline was near and had to take the AFOQT ASAP to get scores back in time. Hopefully my scores will not affect the boards decisions, generally just seeing if anyone thinks I’m wasting my time . I currently have no service obligation at all.

Older guy at 31 now.

3900 hrs TT

Over 2000 PIC

ATP certificate holder , fly part 135 /Single pilot IFR as a captain for an air medical company .

4 year degree 3.2 gpa many moons ago .

Major : Aviation. Minor: Military Science

No PCSM or TBAS , packet did not require it to apply.

AFOQT: 60 pilot, 30 nav, 42 verbal, 20 Quantitative

I felt extremely dumb after taking the test , I did not realize how much math from college I had forgotten

My Situation is I’m not getting any younger. Should I retest and hope I’m picked up before I’m too ancient or let it ride ?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I'd definitely retest. Your scores are a bit rough, especially with all your flight time. I imagine you'll get hammered about them pretty hard in an interview, if you got an interview. 

Honestly, it looks like you just didn't study. Buy some prep books and use them. Take a lot of practice tests and give yourself the applicable time limits for each section when you do. And practice every section, I am not trying to be rude when I say this, but the math section isn't the only reason your scores are low. Also, I'm not sure what your Acad Aptitude is, but that score is important too.

Also, take the TBAS ASAP. It's hard to know REALLY where you stand without a PCSM and it is required before 99.9% of boards will even consider your packet. I'm honestly shocked that there was any board that didn't ask for it since it is required by the AF.

I don't think you're wasting your time, but I do think you need to retake the AFOQT as soon as you can (180 days from first test date, I think).

That was my issue, I had to take it literally within 2 days to make a deadline. The window of 180 takes me into November and then into next years boards and I’ll be to old. This specific unit doesn’t do waivers really. Basically crossing my fingers that this years board needs to fill a good many seats with not a ton of applicants. I guess my only hope is my flight experience can carry some weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Don't give up because of time. I've seen "waivers up to 35" on some announcements and one of the guys on the board got hired at 36. And he didn't have near the flight experience you did.

You will probably need to rush some units if you want to give yourself a better shot! I know it can get expensive, but it is a worthwhile investment!

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2019 at 6:26 PM, kona4breakfast said:

The process takes forever either way. Go for both. And they should already assume you're dumb. You joined the Army to fly.

I always thought Army aviation was selective and competitive until I started rushing Air Force units. Didn't realize I was dumb and that anyone can fly Apaches. Anyway, If I could do it all over again I would for sure go Blue at a young age. I am sure most Army pilots would agree. I am thankful for getting my foot int the door of Aviation as a pilot, but I have had enough of Army. I love the CH-47 and the cargo community, but I simply can't stand the Army. I did the opposite of what you did. I was a W2 first then went commission. Worst idea/decision I could have ever done. Army aviation is a warrant officers world. 

I had crappy scores as well. I went into the test thinking "I am a pilot, I should smoke this thing" but it wasn't the case. Don't let your numbers discourage you. Unfortunately you will have to wait 180 days until you can re-test but for sure take the TBAS asap so you can get a PCSM score. Numbers are important, but I think more important is for you to be able to present yourself as the right fit for the squadron. At least that was my experience when I was rushing multiple heavy squadrons. I had one chief pilot tell me, after I told him how many hours I had and deployments, that most of the guys didn't care about your flying experience. They can teach you how to fly, but they cant necessarily teach you how to be a "cool" guy to go drink beer with. This translates to you being a tolerable guy to sit next to while on a 8 hr sortie across the pond. During visit to another squadron, I meet a guy that was selected with scores in the 50s at age 31. Everyone just liked the guy and he kept hanging around during every UTA and squadron happy hours. 

Your age shouldn't be an issue as well. There is a new MFR out pushing the age limit to 33 with waivers up to 35. The process is long so don't wait to contact other squadrons. I was hired about a year ago and I probably wont make it down to UPT until next year. I would also recommend casting a wide net if your really want to make the jump. I have a list of contacts I could forward to you of squadrons I rushed a few years ago. Most chief pilots will probably tell you the same thing. Cast a wide net with priority in getting a UPT slot. PM if you have anymore questions. 

Lastly, don't take rejection personally. I was constantly rejected by squadrons because of my age or the pain in the ass that comes with transferring to the Air Force. The process is long but not impossible. 

Good Luck!

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...