AFOQT Study guides and prep

Bros,

I went for an interview several months ago,I  felt I did very well, and got great feedback, the biggest thing being I need to get better scores. I totally got destroyed by the math and admittedly, I should have studied a lot harder and I am looking to do some major self improvement. I'm already an Army pilot and I feel a little bad posting this because I don't want to make us all look bad.

ive got a couple of the books, and am looking to get some math tutoring  on the side using the books as a guide to what I should study. 

Are there any courses or AFOQT reviews that AFROTC guys go to or that you guys recommend?  I have one shot left and I want to get hired and not get left behind.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by ATX51

Go on amazon and search for AFOQTs study books. 

I had to take it twice too. I’m an army pilot as well. First time going into the test I thought I would do pretty good but didn’t. Anyway, don’t be discourage if you don’t get the results you want. It’s important to look good on paper but I am pretty sure squadrons and chief pilots will focus on you as a person. Or at least that’s how my experience was. The bros in the squadron will care more about if your a cool guy to drink beer with. It relates to are you going to be a cool guy to seat next to for 8 hrs? Might be a bit different in the fighter world. 

Lots of army bros had made the jump and love it. Get after it and good luck. Also don’t be afraid of casting a wide net. 

Cheers 🍻 

I wish I was on my computer so I could go a little more in depth. If you decide you'd like specifics, let me know and I'll get everything I can for you (book titles and other resources). You probably know basic study habits since you've been through college, but I'll say it regardless. 

My background: AF electrical engineer with PPL. Took AFOQT to get into a special OTS program. Flying has always been the dream. Retook AFOQT to be more competitive for ANG/AFRC slots (did very well), was offered slot in April. 

Prep Books: In general, most books are okay for the pilot section, awful for the table reading (AFPC has practice tables you can use that are actually accurate and incredibly helpful), but good for the other sections. Some books are out of date when it comes to what the test sections are. Look that up and know it all so you don't waste your time.

What you want are... All books with practice tests (amazon). Learn the basic concepts and strategies, get yourself in a realistic testing environment, and seriously test yourself. This is the best thing for you. Include time limits. Review your answers and see where you need to focus your study efforts. 

I studied concepts and content for 30-60 minutes a day during the week and did a full practice test each day on the weekend. I felt as prepared as possible after a little over one month of this. 

Like flammable said, people get rusty. If you take it seriously and get plenty of practice, there's no reason you can't knock this out of the park. The AFOQT is not an intelligence test. It's a preparation test. Prepare your butt off. 

• 1 month later...

Having just gone through this in the last year, here's my take. I used the Trivium and Test Prep Books AFOQT guides (PM me and I can send you the links). I found them to be useful to an extent, though if I were taking it again, I'd add in some outside content. I'll second what others have said earlier - SAT prep guides should be helpful for you. The math and verbal concepts are pretty much the same as the SAT, so spending time reminding yourself of all the useless vocab and facts you learned in geometry in 10th grade will go a long way. 

My background is in aerospace engineering, but it didn't really do much for me since it had been so long since I learned the math concepts covered. I took the test 6 years out of college and 3 months after getting my PPL. If I were to do it again, I'd put more effort into studying on a regular basis - 30-60mins every other day would have been much better than the level of effort I put in. The test prep and SAT guides will ensure you study the right topics, so with a healthy amount of preparation, you'll crush it. 

My prep was 10-15 minutes every other day starting two months out and slowly ratcheted it up to 1-2 hours a day or more up to three days prior. After that stop studying and just practice. If you did the above there should be nothing left to learn in those last three days and it becomes all about time management and practice. I must have done the math sections a dozen times each and the table reading 50 times in the last couple of days before the test. Huge pain in the ass but all of my scores were above 95 so worth it.

Good morning. First time posting. I've been trying to get info on ANG for a while now but keep getting a wall when it comes to taking to AFOQT. I've been advised to check with an AFROTC detachment, but my emails are not returned from the ones nearest me. Are there any other options for taking the test?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I couldn't find how to start a new thread. 

• 5 weeks later...

+1 for Khan Academy, but I just found a GRE Prep and an AFOQT Study Guide in some boxes while unpacking that haven't been touched. If someone is interested in the, shoot me a message. They're yours for free just cover the shipping (Unless you're in the NW FL area to pick them up).

@Jordan P Don't email, call. Also look at local ANG/Reserve units, many of them offer it. Ask for education when you call. If they don't have it they may be able to point you in the right direction. Don't be a dick but don't necessarily take no for an answer. When I was taking it I initially was told it wasn't possible for either the AFOQT or TBAS as a civ but I called back again, got someone different, and got it scheduled.

• 1 month later...