Interviewing with another unit after getting a slot

I’ve heard about this happening before but I can’t find the thread. Here is the generic situation:

Unit A is my preferred unit (location, airframe, mission, etc.). I also like Unit B, but not as much as Unit A. Unit B has a board a few months before Unit A.

IF I am fortunate enough to get the slot with B, how unethical is it to also try and get a slot with A? This would obviously occur before any training would begin.

On one hand, I see this as a douchey thing to do. On the other, they should have alternates right? Also, should I be upfront about it?

I'll caveat the follow with the fact that this is my personal opinion and not necessarily how others will view it, so take it for what it's worth...

I've sat on numerous ANG UPT interview boards and been in the military long enough to know that you are the only one looking out for you.  Interview at both and see what happens.  If you get both, then you'll have a decision to make and I would go with the one that fits you best.  We completely understand that we may not always be the first choice of everyone, but I will still pick the best possible candidate.  Personally, I respect the honesty if a candidate is upfront about their desires, but I also understand if they hold their cards close.  Either way, that's why we pick an alternate. 

Best of luck! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

I haven't been on any hiring boards yet, but I was in this position when I was rushing units! I'll piggy back off @SocialD since his advice is what I followed. I interviewed with a unit and the following month or so I already had another interview lined up with probably my more preferred unit. I was honest in the interview and told them I also had another interview lined up, and when asked if I was hired would I still interview at the other unit I respectfully said yes. They offered me the job the next day! I definitely think part of why I was selected was because they respected that I was honest with them! Fast forward to the other interview, I ultimately wasn't hired. When I called back to my hiring unit asking if the offer was still on the table they said absolutely, and never asked about the other interview.

Bottom line man go with what you are morally comfortable with! For me I just couldn't keep that from them and potentially burn a bridge! Had I never told them, interviewed at the other unit, and they found out then that phone call asking if offer was still on the table could have been a lot different. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When I call guys to offer the job I give them a window to make a commitment.  (usually 30 days or so) I expect people are interviewing at other places.  Once someone commits you can bet your bottom dollar that if they have a change of heart I'll be calling their new commander to inform him of that persons lack of moral fiber (and I've had calls about people the other way as well).  Just be honest, if you are good enough to get the job it won't matter.  Knowing that we weren't someone's first choice wouldn't stop me from offering them a job if they were the best candidate.  

• Upvote 5

I got picked up as a guard CSO, 2 days after being gained a reserve unit interviewed and offered me a Pilot slot. It's a logistical nightmare but everyone involved has been very understanding. The unofficial advice I got was "if you don't have training dates yet, you can bail" 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 3:28 PM, rudderrightmore said:

The unofficial advice I got was "if you don't have training dates yet, you can bail" 

I can confirm this rumor. Or at least I can now say I’ve seen a guy move to another unit after getting hired. I am in a heavy ANG squadron and for some reason there has been tons of delays at the NGB level to process packets in a timely manner. One day I had a bunch of squadron CC folks calling to tell me to stay motivated during the slow process and constant delays. Turns out they were calling because a particular candidate that was selected before I go hired got picked up by a reserve unit on a short fall slot to UPT and was asking to be released from the squadron. I might not have the full story on how he did it or what unit. Long story short, he didn’t have school dates in my squadron, got school dates with another squadron and he was gone. 

Good luck. 

Cheers 🍻 

On 6/18/2019 at 8:24 PM, CharlieHotel47 said:

I am in a heavy ANG squadron and for some reason there has been tons of delays at the NGB level to process packets in a timely manner. Good luck. 

Cheers 🍻 

Do you have anymore info to expand on this? I'm a few months out from my FC1 and haven't heard anything other than I'd passed it and waiting for the stamp.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:24 PM, CharlieHotel47 said:

I am in a heavy ANG squadron and for some reason there has been tons of delays at the NGB level to process packets in a timely manner.

They're just getting you conditioned for the rest of your career.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Insert name said:

Do you have anymore info to expand on this? I'm a few months out from my FC1 and haven't heard anything other than I'd passed it and waiting for the stamp.

Not sure. Some guys move faster than others. If your unit can somehow put your name to a UPT slot, your process will move quick. Regular bums like myself get assigned to the end of the line. 

WP doesn't allow off the street guys with no unit association to get an FC1 anymore. I think I was one of the last ones. Anyway, I went to WP on my own dime thinking it would speed up the process instead of waiting on my unit to assign me orders and what not. The FC1 is just a fraction of the big picture the squadron has to paint for NGB to put your name to a UPT slot. At least that's how It was explained to me. 

I know of other bros out there that had a totally different timeline that moved faster. Stay persistent with your squadron and with whoever is pushing your paperwork up the chain.