So I know this guy, I told him this was normal for the most part and easily explainable.  It’s good it’s on his radar, I’m sure there’s a fairly high percentage of dudes that have been through this.  It could come up in a security clearance interview.  There was a topic on meds, but this kid was never on meds.  What do the masses think?  I used the f’ing search function, mostly.

————————————————

When I was very young one of my parents passed away in an accident.  My other parent wanted me to see a counselor/psychiatrist about it.  I ended up having a pretty good relationship with the psychiatrist and met with him regularly from a young age through most of highschool.  I wasn't being "treated" for anything (at least as far as I knew) nor was I ever on any meds, we mostly talked about politics and school - but I just found out that he may have diagnosed me with some sort of very minor anxiety condition so that it could be paid through insurance.  I'm meeting with him soon to get some more detailed info on my medical history.

DoDI 6130.03 says the following is disqualifying: 

q. History of anxiety disorders if:

(1) Outpatient care including counseling was required for longer than 12 cumulative months.

(2) Symptomatic or treatment within the last 36 months.

(3) The applicant required any inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility.

(4) Any recurrence.

(5) Any suicidality (in accordance with Paragraph 5.28.m.).

I may need a waiver.  Is this even waiverable?  Am I screwed?

• 2 weeks later...

Based on what I have seen, if you have any type of mental health disorders documented anywhere you will be auto DQ'd and forced to apply for a waiver. Chances for getting one will depend on a variety of factors including specific diagnosis (anxiety disorder, major depressive, bipolar, etc), how long they received treatment (6 months, 18 months, etc), and if they needed any additional accommodations in school such as an IEP or registered with the disability office.

Based on what I've seen here, it is possible but will be an uphill battle. I recommend he get a letter from his psychiatrist explaining that they just talked and would have no problem serving in the military, can hold a TS clearance, etc. Also, get letters from each school counselor defending him with transcripts (hopefully A's & B's) and that he didn't need academic accommodations. His DODMBERB/MEPS package should have the full treatment history plus all of the documents I mentioned. Make sure he includes a document saying he did NOT take meds. Letters of Rec from you and other AF officers could help too. The DOD has a huge stigma against mental health and often make it very hard to get a waiver.

Edited by Sketch