2020 Air Force Active Duty UPT Board

On 4/15/2020 at 8:21 AM, AirForceAg said:

Originalturk: Did you get "new" date or did they just cancel your training RIP without reslotting you?

Its been cancelled without a re-slot. Got a re-slot for RIQ though. Heard from my afsoc brethren its the same over there. Some people are getting re-slots and some arnt. Not alot of standardization, apparently our "training" wasnt really that important, I guess I can see where the FAA was coming from.

As a pilot about to leave for IFT mid May I can confirm that RPAs are taking the slash on their IFT slots. As of right now in my element all pilots IFT dates are unchanged however the RPAs are all cancelled without new date. 

4 hours ago, T_ChaseR said:

As a pilot about to leave for IFT mid May I can confirm that RPAs are taking the slash on their IFT slots. As of right now in my element all pilots IFT dates are unchanged however the RPAs are all cancelled without new date. 

T_ChaseR, has their been any discussions at IFT on a waiver being signed for RPA training. I got a buddy in the May RFT class and they told him to prepare as normal. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally have my orders switching me from Randolph over to Columbus for UPT(still bummed about this).  RNLT of 31Aug(didn’t change). PCSing from Dyess AFB end of July has been approved. Still no class start date but talking to an instructor I have been told Columbus won’t class anyone up until arrival on station and the current wait is about 6 months. Longer if the Academy/ROTC grads get on station before you arrive. 
See you folks in MS!

-Dan

On 4/19/2020 at 7:20 AM, Bode said:

IFT for UCSO training is gone and may be fore good. The PTT on how students do without it is about to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UCSO training doesn’t need IFT. Instructors have been trying to get rid of it for a long time.  Most of the people I went through UCSO training with hated IFT and didn't learn anything that helped with our training. A few of the guys liked it only for the flight hours they could log toward getting their PPL but those hours don’t mean much when you lose a year between IFT and CSO graduation. Unfortunately during CSO training you get no PIC time so it doesn’t help with PPL. Good luck to anyone going to Pensacola the city is probably one of the best places to be stationed for training. The base sucks though because it’s an old  old old navy base. 

1 hour ago, DanT87 said:

Finally have my orders switching me from Randolph over to Columbus for UPT(still bummed about this).  RNLT of 31Aug(didn’t change). PCSing from Dyess AFB end of July has been approved. Still no class start date but talking to an instructor I have been told Columbus won’t class anyone up until arrival on station and the current wait is about 6 months. Longer if the Academy/ROTC grads get on station before you arrive. 
See you folks in MS!

-Dan

I think for the class start dates it's situation dependent. My RNLTD to Columbus (see you there!) Is 15 Sep and my current projected start date is 14 Oct. Still no orders or RIP for me though. I'm just thankful with everything going on I'm still able to move.

8 minutes ago, Lost as you are said:

I think for the class start dates it's situation dependent. My RNLTD to Columbus (see you there!) Is 15 Sep and my current projected start date is 14 Oct. Still no orders or RIP for me though. I'm just thankful with everything going on I'm still able to move.

Same here, was told a Columbus start date of 14 Oct.  Look forward to meeting you guys. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.  Update on UPT 2.5 from what I know.  To lead, I have no idea if any other base is doing this or if it's just Vance.

Was just briefed we're starting UPT 2.5 in July.  The timeline is going to be T-6s to Wings in about 7 months.  Heavies will find out both airframe and location at/before graduation.  Fighter/bombers will continue on in the T-38 to do IFF and some B-Course related stuff.  Unsure of their timeframe and exactly what they're going to be doing.

As I'm sure we're all aware, the AF is trying to get rid of the T-1.  Well, this is where they're starting.  Looks like they'll be either completely removing the T-1 from the syallabus and replacing it with only T-1 transition to a heavy airframe Sims...or doing a mixture.  T-1 timeline is guesstimated at about 2 to 3 months.  Then off to Altus or Little Rock or San Antonio.  Unsure if they're planning on extending those secondary trainings or if their idea is to place a lot more training on the gaining unit.

Again, I'm not involved in the planning of any of this.  Just what we've been briefed as the OSS at a UPT base.

Feel free to ask any questions!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, WannaFly2019 said:

Hey guys.  Update on UPT 2.5 from what I know.  To lead, I have no idea if any other base is doing this or if it's just Vance.

Was just briefed we're starting UPT 2.5 in July.  The timeline is going to be T-6s to Wings in about 7 months.  Heavies will find out both airframe and location at/before graduation.  Fighter/bombers will continue on in the T-38 to do IFF and some B-Course related stuff.  Unsure of their timeframe and exactly what they're going to be doing.

As I'm sure we're all aware, the AF is trying to get rid of the T-1.  Well, this is where they're starting.  Looks like they'll be either completely removing the T-1 from the syallabus and replacing it with only T-1 transition to a heavy airframe Sims...or doing a mixture.  T-1 timeline is guesstimated at about 2 to 3 months.  Then off to Altus or Little Rock or San Antonio.  Unsure if they're planning on extending those secondary trainings or if their idea is to place a lot more training on the gaining unit.

Again, I'm not involved in the planning of any of this.  Just what we've been briefed as the OSS at a UPT base.

I’m actually at JBSA Randolph for UPT 2.5 and they have still kept us in the dark on everything. However, from what we have heard here and there I can confirm that this does sound correct.

7 minutes ago, WannaFly2019 said:

Thanks for sharing, this alone could almost warrant it's own discuss thread in/of itself. Interesting times we live in!

23 minutes ago, WannaFly2019 said:

Very interesting, started last week at Laughlin and not a single word about this. Going to assume its Vance/ Randolph at the moment.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 11:23 AM, WannaFly2019 said:

@WannaFly2019 Thanks for sharing. Do you know what sets UPT 2.5 apart from UPT 2.0?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 9:39 AM, yervis said:

@WannaFly2019 Thanks for sharing. Do you know what sets UPT 2.5 apart from UPT 2.0?

Well the biggest thing is that UPT 2.5 is going to be ~7 months until you're a winged pilot versus ~12.  Only 96 hours in the T-6 and you're winged.  You can technically speed up that process as far as I'm aware, but you have to be good.  We also have a "early access" program.  Essentially what this means is that you can complete all of your academics in the 3 weeks prior to your class start date.  This then allows you to get on the flight line and ride sims/flights on a Space-A basis. Oh, and the "class" structure is demolished... no more class patches, for example.

• 2 months later...

I commissioned May 2020 and was just switched from Columbus to Randolph for upt, my ead changed from October 2020 to May 2021. Does anyone know if all classes at Randolph are upt 2.5? Also, because Randolph is in a bigger city has it slowed down more so compared to other upt bases in smaller cities because of covid? I have friends that commissioned the same day and have already gone to their upt bases so I wonder why the wait for Randolph is so much longer. Any info helps!