Asthma DQ for AD, try Guard?

Hey everybody,

Haven't posted in a while, was selected for OTS with a pilot slot last year, went to JBLM for my FC1 in February of LAST year and was eventually denied due to history of asthma, even after completing the MCT with no issues. I was urged by others to look for other routes into the Air Force, but due to my age (29), I figured it was a no-go.

Since the age has been risen to 33 for rated officer accessions, I was curious if anyone had gouge on medical requirements differing between AD and guard units? As far as I've read from stuff on here, asthma waivers with a successful MCT are usually no problem, so I was curious if it was due to the other waivers I had submitted (lasik, eye pressure out of limits), or based on me being in the pipeline for close to 3 years from first contact with a recruiter and they just cut me off. They never really gave me a hard answer, just a quick phone call.

Any info or advice would be appreciated!

Astro,

Guard and Reserve have to meet the same medical standards and process through the exact certification folks when applying since they are trained at active duty bases.  Once you complete training, then you are owned by ANG/AFRC, but until then you are treated the same as active duty.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:35 AM, PrivateFighterPilotLicense said:

How were you denied? The waiver states a history of asthma after the 13th birthday is disqualifying, but before the 13th birthday, a passing MCT is waiverable. That makes no sense. Did you disclose your history after or before you took the MCT?

I disclosed before - apparently there was an issue with civilian docs at MEPS that sent a bunch of people through that probably shouldn't have made it. There wasn't any documentation as to when my asthma "cleared," so I took the MCT, but that wasn't quite enough. Fairly certain my situation is like a lot of other peoples, a misdiagnosis.

Appreciate all the responses. I'll keep up the civilian flying and throw apps as they come, shouldn't hurt.