Timeline to starting ART job

Due to numerous issues, it’s been over a year since my unit submitted the initial RPA to hire me as an ART. The most recent RPA submission was exactly a month ago and the announcement hasn’t shown on USAJOBS yet.

Anybody have similar experiences? The wife and I are kind of freaking out, looking at returning to AD (life situation doesn’t support the airlines).

I had a few issues, state took away the job after I was hired, had to wait 4 months or so. A year is over the top, have them put you on days until it comes through? Also, if any other ARTs leave or retire, you can slide into (sts) their positions.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The first attempt made for me in the same situation was at month 5 before sq/cc finds out HRO said they had advertised the job and no one applied (so they let it close out and did nothing after that). The problem was they never informed anyone in the air guard about the posting (no mass email, contact leadership directly, etc). So wing had to resubmit. Long story short I’m now a DSG, and it was the greatest move ever. Perhaps consider the alternatives to ART, as this is just a glimpse into the well below average performance of HRO (unless you’re in one of the few states who have the ART program somewhat figured out, but doesn’t sound like it).

Edited by brabus

On 5/18/2019 at 4:09 PM, brabus said:

The first attempt made for me in the same situation was at month 5 before sq/cc finds out HRO said they had advertised the job and no one applied (so they let it close out and did nothing after that). The problem was they never informed anyone in the air guard about the posting (no mass email, contact leadership directly, etc). So wing had to resubmit. Long story short I’m now a DSG, and it was the greatest move ever. Perhaps consider the alternatives to ART, as this is just a glimpse into the well below average performance of HRO (unless you’re in one of the few states who have the ART program somewhat figured out, but doesn’t sound like it).

Where'd you end up Brabus?  Becoming a DSG was one of the best things that ever happened to me and my only regret is I didn't do it sooner.  If I had a dime for every time situations like yours happened...I'd have enough for a pour-over from the local hippie joint.  We once had a position announced and the only reason the masses found out was because a squadron wife happened upon it while searching USA jobs.  The whole technician program is archaic and painful, and is really only a good deal right now because they're handing out GS-13/bonuses like candy.  When I was a young FL it was GS-12 Step 1, take it or have fun on the outside...I ended up at a regional (before the pay increases) and couldn't have been happier.  The 2 or 3 techs we have left are just young guys waiting for an AGR or enough time to apply to the airlines.  Some of them even bailed to the regionals to gain hours and/or because AGRs were all full up/used to entice experience from AD.  I'd be surprised if we have any techs 5 years from now. 

With 72 AFTPs, UTAs, AT, rando TDYs, and some alert days/orders, even in fighter squadrons, you could make a decent living just bumming.  If you had no ambition for the airlines, this would an awesome setup for a side gig or lots of free time.  Of course, living cheaply or having working spouse would be beneficial.   

• Upvote 1