CSO vision requirements

I recently did my initial flight physical. I was initially told my vision would disqualify my from pilot, which I knew, but I would be good for CSO. My recruiter call me back yesterday and said I had been disqualified from both due to vision. When I was at the clinic that day, the med tech and I checked a vision standards chart and my refractive error fell into the CSO acceptable category, my refractive error is -4.00 in both eyes. I'm corrected to 20/15 in both eyes. Does anyone know if the standards have been changed recently, or if there is some other mix up that could have caused this? Thanks

7 hours ago, bronxbomber252 said:

For initial physicals there is also a minimum uncorrected requirement (when I joined it was 20/100 or 20/70, can’t remember exactly) that once you have your wings can deteriorate further without disqualifying you.

They no longer use a minimum uncorrected requirement. (Sorry to be that guy and correct you)

https://www.wpafb.af.mil/Portals/60/documents/711/usafsam/USAF-Waiver-Guide-190417.pdf 

Page 722 (scroll farther for Refractive Surgery info)

Don't know your case fully and you should discuss it with a USAF doc but it certainly looks like LASIK/PRK (whichever the doc recommends) is a great option for you.

12 hours ago, Molecular medic said:

I recently did my initial flight physical. I was initially told my vision would disqualify my from pilot, which I knew, but I would be good for CSO. My recruiter call me back yesterday and said I had been disqualified from both due to vision. When I was at the clinic that day, the med tech and I checked a vision standards chart and my refractive error fell into the CSO acceptable category, my refractive error is -4.00 in both eyes. I'm corrected to 20/15 in both eyes. Does anyone know if the standards have been changed recently, or if there is some other mix up that could have caused this? Thanks

At -4.00 you meet the CSO standard based on current policy.  Are there numbers after the -4.00 in your refraction?  If so those are added to the -4.00 and might be putting you over the limit.  See page 725 of the waiver guide link posted previously.

4 minutes ago, stuckindayton said:

At -4.00 you meet the CSO standard based on current policy.  Are there numbers after the -4.00 in your refraction?  If so those are added to the -4.00 and might be putting you over the limit.  See page 725 of the waiver guide link posted previously.

I do also have an astigmatism, but it looks like it is also within the standards. My cylinder is -0.75. I am going to get a hold of my recruiter later today, but I'm not really sure what we need to do. Does anyone have advise for how to get this resolved? 

1 minute ago, stuckindayton said:

With -4.00 sphere and -0.75 cylinder, your total myopia is -4.75.  It sucks to be over the limit by 0.25, but that's why you were DQ'd.  Threeholer was correct, if you want to fly PRK or LASIK is your friend.

Gotcha, thanks!