AF Officer Age Waiver for prior enlisted?

Just about to finish up my fixed wing private pilot should be 40 hours on the dot.

Anyone have any insight on how age waivers are looking right now for Active Duty?  I've already got a bach, with 4 years in the Air Force on the C-5 as a loadmaster.  I'm 37, so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to subtract 4 years from my age for already active duty served time?  If that's the case my age would be 33, would I even need a waiver?  My goal is to get back on the C-5 or C-17.  Would prefer to return to Fred as I really enjoyed the mission.  I've been studying for the AFOQT for close to a year with two study guides I got off Amazon, and with my recent private pilot knowledge feel like I'd fair really well on the test.  

Currently doing 50 pushups, 75 sit ups, and managing the 2 mile run on average in 18 minutes.  Never been a runner, even when I was active before.  

Thanks for any insight!!

Siamese Dream 🤘

I’m not sure if things are different now that the UPT age limit was increased to 33, but based on what I’ve read, it seems like those in charge of Active Duty accessions were completely unwilling to do age waivers regardless of circumstance (the AD officer rated cross-training board seemed to be a different story). Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge will chime in.

Is there any reason you wouldn’t consider Guard/Reserve? I’d heard of guys getting age waivers from heavy units at age 35 when the age limit was still 30, so it’s probably not unthinkable that they might stretch even further now. That way you’ll be able to search specifically for C-5 units. You’d probably be a really competitive candidate with your prior AF experience.

Edited by mb1685

I would be all in for a guard / reserve slot.  All my contacts in Dover have moved on when they started the transition to C-17s.  Is there a place to find current openings for C-5 slots on the guard /reserve?  I checked baseops and it looks like spam has gotten the job postings.  

12 hours ago, GeekUSA said:

I would be all in for a guard / reserve slot.  All my contacts in Dover have moved on when they started the transition to C-17s.  Is there a place to find current openings for C-5 slots on the guard /reserve?  I checked baseops and it looks like spam has gotten the job postings.  

I believe the unit down in San Antonio is having a board with a June, maybe end of June app deadline.  May want to double check the exact timeline as I'm not completely sure of the dates. 

@GeekUSA Check out https://bogidope.com/squadron-job-listing for a wealth of information regarding units that are hiring with POC information. I'd also recommend joining the "The Pilot Network on facebook" and search around on there.

@FDNYOldGuy gave several of us old wannabes hope by getting an age waiver at 36 for a reserve C5 unit. Congrats on the impending PPL and keep pushing (I'm in same boat as you)

BLUF: AFAIK, they aren't doing waivers for Active Duty that high up in age, but they are going through for Reserves/Guard. However, if you want it, you better start getting your ducks in a row and reaching out to any and all contacts you have from past service that might be able to help out. Networking is what makes this all happen. 

They have definitely eased rules, but I wouldn't push too much longer. You'll have a little more leeway with prior service, but you're not "buying" back the years you were in; they just might give you more of a look and be willing to work the age waiver for higher ages if you've got prior service time. 

That said, it's not a regular occurrence or given and I'd get cracking ASAFP. The process can be long; especially if you go the Guard route, which seems to take quite a bit longer than the Reserves for all of the boxes to be checked. I've also heard horror stories of waivers getting shot down at various levels in the NGB months into the process, so definitely be aware of the process if you push that route. Reserves you can get the ball rolling with a Reserves recruiter right now, work on getting MEPS and an FC1 done on your own dime, and get all of the other paperwork done by the time you sit down with any units for interviews. If you wait for a unit to hire you and push you through those steps, you're going to draw out quite a bit.

Honestly, I would start applying yesterday to any and every unit you can. If you're down for the C5, HERE'S A LINK TO THEIR UPCOMING HIRING at Dover. This is where I got scooped up and I couldn't be happier. They're an awesome group of guys and they're not strangers to doing a waiver (source: my old, non-prior-ass getting one at 36 that they helped immensely with pushing from their end). I'm CERTAINLY not the norm, but I was able to get from hired, through the UPT board, and stepping foot into OTS almost exactly 6 months later and will be starting UPT in less than 11 months from hire date. That is a pretty blistering pace for the process; especially with a waiver. That said, I did a TON of my own legwork with the recruiter before getting hired, got MEPS and my FC1, and a lot of paperwork out of the way PRIOR to interviewing with the 709th. They just pushed their hiring paperwork/my waiver through to get me to the next UPT board. 

Good luck out there! Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Just about to finish up my fixed wing private pilot should be 40 hours on the dot.

Anyone have any insight on how age waivers are looking right now for Active Duty?  I've already got a bach, with 4 years in the Air Force on the C-5 as a loadmaster.  I'm 37, so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to subtract 4 years from my age for already active duty served time?  If that's the case my age would be 33, would I even need a waiver?  My goal is to get back on the C-5 or C-17.  Would prefer to return to Fred as I really enjoyed the mission.  I've been studying for the AFOQT for close to a year with two study guides I got off Amazon, and with my recent private pilot knowledge feel like I'd fair really well on the test.  

Currently doing 50 pushups, 75 sit ups, and managing the 2 mile run on average in 18 minutes.  Never been a runner, even when I was active before.  

Thanks for any insight!!

I was recently hired by a heavy reserve unit at age 30, currently a non rated O-3 in the Corps with a PPL. I know of a guy who got picked up at 40 years old. He was kind enough to reach out to me when I made a post about age waivers on TPN (Facebook). I had similar concerns like you before the Air Force bumped the age limit to 33. I can get you in touch with him if you would like, he will probably be more than happy to share his story on how he overcame the “age” obstacle. I believe he is a prior enlisted Air Force guy as well.  

By the way, I thought the Air Force ran 1.5miles? Not to compare but I just ran 3 miles in 20:56 last week on my PFT, along with 26 pull-ups, and 130 crunches. Marine Corps PFT is no joke... I cannot wait to start the Air Force PFT! That’s why I’m making this transition to join the Air Force.