Guard/Reserve Fighter Applicant

Yeeyee

Here are my scores, as well as my interesting background. 

AFOQT: 98/61/40/33/50

PCSM: 97

Flight hours: 1300

Flight Ratings: PPL, Instrument, Commercial, CFI, ATP (ERJ 170/190 type rating)

College: 3.80 GPA, B.S. in Aviation Management, A.A.S. In Aviation Flight

LORs: PPL instructor, Retired navy captain, prior Civil Air Patrol Squadron commander

Volunteer work: Civil Air Patrol (Transport mission pilot, Billy Mitchell award recipient)

My background:

I was at Navy OCS last February with a pilot slot (SNA-Studnet naval aviator). I was there for about a month before I got discharged for 2 medical reasons. The first was eyesight due to astigmatism. I got PRK surgery March 2018 on my own dime and it’s been over a year, no complications. The other medical issue was my sitting height. I’m 6’3” with a sitting height of 39.4”. The navy has 4 aircraft pipelines; strike, E2/C2, helicopters, and Maritime. You needed to be eligible for a minimum of 2 of 4 pipelines, and my sitting height was too tall for the T45 goshawk, which canceled out the strike and E2/C2 pipelines, as well as the UH-57 which canceled out the helicopter track for me. Because I was only eligible for one pipeline (maritime) I could no longer be a student naval aviator. The base commander said I could choose any other naval officer job, such as SWO or Supply, but I decided to discharge and continue flight instructing to be a regional airline pilot, which is what I’m doing right now. I don’t know if this experience helps or hurts. It could help because it shows that I’m not giving up on becoming a military pilot, but it could hurt because I really want to serve and the interviewees might ask why I just didn’t do another naval officer job then. 

I plan on taking the AFOQT over again, but I will be applying with my current scores and just see where it goes.

Here are my scores, as well as my interesting background. 
AFOQT: 98/61/40/33/50
PCSM: 97
Flight hours: 1300
Flight Ratings: PPL, Instrument, Commercial, CFI, ATP (ERJ 170/190 type rating)
College: 3.80 GPA, B.S. in Aviation Management, A.A.S. In Aviation Flight
LORs: PPL instructor, Retired navy captain, prior Civil Air Patrol Squadron commander
Volunteer work: Civil Air Patrol (Transport mission pilot, Billy Mitchell award recipient)

My background:
I was at Navy OCS last February with a pilot slot (SNA-Studnet naval aviator). I was there for about a month before I got discharged for 2 medical reasons. The first was eyesight due to astigmatism. I got PRK surgery March 2018 on my own dime and it’s been over a year, no complications. The other medical issue was my sitting height. I’m 6’3” with a sitting height of 39.4”. The navy has 4 aircraft pipelines; strike, E2/C2, helicopters, and Maritime. You needed to be eligible for a minimum of 2 of 4 pipelines, and my sitting height was too tall for the T45 goshawk, which canceled out the strike and E2/C2 pipelines, as well as the UH-57 which canceled out the helicopter track for me. Because I was only eligible for one pipeline (maritime) I could no longer be a student naval aviator. The base commander said I could choose any other naval officer job, such as SWO or Supply, but I decided to discharge and continue flight instructing to be a regional airline pilot, which is what I’m doing right now. I don’t know if this experience helps or hurts. It could help because it shows that I’m not giving up on becoming a military pilot, but it could hurt because I really want to serve and the interviewees might ask why I just didn’t do another naval officer job then. 
I plan on taking the AFOQT over again, but I will be applying with my current scores and just see where it goes.

With your pilot and PCSM scores why would you take the AFOQT again? You know they take your latest scores first? That seems like a wasted effort and a risky proposition.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Scooter14 said:

With your pilot and PCSM scores why would you take the AFOQT again? You know they take your latest scores first? That seems like a wasted effort and a risky proposition.

Contrary to the opinion above, I would recommend retaking the AFOQT. Most fighter apps will have higher scores across the board, so getting those up will only certainly help. It’s one less thing in your application to have to “explain”, at least.

Edited by cagg011
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Agree with cagg. It seems like anything under 50 is a concern. Large differences between scores are also concerns. An Air Force pilot is an officer foundation with pilot focus and skills built on top. If your resume is less than ideal for a generic officer like, say, Logistics or Maintenance, then your extensive pilot qualifications are almost moot.

Edited by Catman
  • Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

How much focus do you folks see put on the non pilot AFOQT scores? It seems to vary greatly from unit to unit depending on what the unit needs at the time. I was told from the folks I have talked too that at the end of the day its just one part of you and it does not define you. Just looking for some extra feedback thanks.