Another Guard Fighter Wannabe

benfng

5 hours ago, Yeeyee said:

For the 176th FS (WIANG), are you all going to make that video that is optional? Just wondering if people will do it.

You absolutely should, and don't forget to post a link here for us to watch and give feedback 😉 

In all seriousness, I highly recommend it because it's a chance for the hiring board to put a face and personality to an application.

Edited by iRobot
  • Upvote 1

On 9/23/2019 at 7:26 AM, iRobot said:

You absolutely should, and don't forget to post a link here for us to watch and give feedback 😉 

In all seriousness, I highly recommend it because it's a chance for the hiring board to put a face and personality to an application.

Thanks man. Definitely agree with that. Do you think a webcam in front of a desktop PC will suffice? 

Thanks man. Definitely agree with that. Do you think a webcam in front of a desktop PC will suffice? 

I have a nice camera that I used with a tripod. Lots of folks used their laptop and desktop. Anything works, but I’m a perfectionist and prefer good audio and visual quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

31 minutes ago, Yeeyee said:

iPhone with the selfie stick will undoubtedly give you the most style points. If you're feeling ballsy, you can do the selfie style with an iPad and that could land you even more style points, given the execution is good. If you are able to pull it off, hold a laptop with a camera selfie style. This will be the hardest to pull off but if you do it correctly and well, you are almost guaranteed an interview.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Seadogs said:

iPhone with the selfie stick will undoubtedly give you the most style points. If you're feeling ballsy, you can do the selfie style with an iPad and that could land you even more style points, given the execution is good. If you are able to pull it off, hold a laptop with a camera selfie style. This will be the hardest to pull off but if you do it correctly and well, you are almost guaranteed an interview.

Use a DJI drone instead 😉

• 2 months later...

So to bring closure to this thread, I got picked up by a guard 135 unit and selected for naval aviation in the same week. I went with the guard 135s for a few reasons. From my research QOL in the guard is exponentially better, I get to keep my house and live closer to family. While the chance of landing hornets on a carrier is bad ass, I'm not sure it outweighs 9 months on a carrier on the Arabian ocean.

Good luck to everyone else in the process, my only advice is to try to meet as many current military pilots and pick their brains on what the different missions are really like before limiting yourself to one specifically. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/26/2019 at 9:38 AM, benfng said:

So to bring closure to this thread, I got picked up by a guard 135 unit and selected for naval aviation in the same week. I went with the guard 135s for a few reasons. From my research QOL in the guard is exponentially better, I get to keep my house and live closer to family. While the chance of landing hornets on a carrier is bad ass, I'm not sure it outweighs 9 months on a carrier on the Arabian ocean.

Good luck to everyone else in the process, my only advice is to try to meet as many current military pilots and pick their brains on what the different missions are really like before limiting yourself to one specifically. 

First off, Congrats!!

This is honestly great advice for anyone limiting themselves to only fighters or bust.  Get an idea of the lifestyle/mission/flight hours/etc from as many different units and squadrons as you can.  Go and meet people in the unit by visiting to see what the place is like.  After the new shiny toy effect wears off, now you’re stuck living that life for 10+ years and you want to make sure these are the people you want to hang out with (they want to make sure the same thing when it comes to you).  If it’s a good fit, then more power to you and that’s awesome.  Remember that even raging around in an F-22 eventually becomes just your “job” and I’ve got many friends I know that are sick of that and ready to punch.  I know an Air Force Demo team fighter pilot who can’t wait to jump to the airlines and currently has no plans to even go to the Reserves/Guard.  And his job is pretty freaking cool from an outsider looking in at what he has done and is currently doing. 

The biggest thing I caution anyone reading this is that you’re only getting older and that 10 year commitment isn’t getting any shorter.  I am an OTS guy and I’m watching guys younger than me all punching out for the airlines and it makes me wish I had joined sooner and I was 25 when I commissioned.  

If you have goals of being an airline pilot, don’t forget to consider that some airplanes build your hours more quickly than others.  Figure out how much the units you’re looking to fly for actually fly.  I have friends that haven’t flown much because their reserve unit is short on money for flight hours.  Things I never would have thought about before joining because I just didn’t know.  Best of luck to you all regardless, I think you’ll find that no matter what you fly you’ll be pretty happy to put on a flight suit and go hang out with the bros in the squadron if you pick the right unit for you.

Edited by Infamous
Congrats!
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...