Airlift vs. Refueling

C-17 and C-141 guy here.  The nice thing about the C-17 is jet speeds, jet engines,  travel the world, and participate in world events as they happen, like earthquakes, hurricanes, contingencies, evacuations, VIP and Presidential support. For example, I flew into Berlin as the wall was dismantled, Panama invasion, all the wars and skirmishes since 1987. Left 6 years of active duty with 4400 hrs of international heavy jet time, which the airlines love. My buds in Tankers had 1500 hrs total in the same time frame.  To be fair that was during the time they sat SAC  alert a lot.  The nice thing about C-17 is it’s new’ish, you get to taste all missions, Airdrop, tac low level, special ops, Air refueling etc.  we had a few Tanker guys transition into my Reserve squadron and they liked the challenge of the mission but complained about all the currency.  Either way, if you notice the responses so far, most guys like the plane their flying and enjoy the mission.  If your goal is Airlines, I think a KC-46 would be tough to beat nowadays.
Good Luck
Just to be clear to the new dude, "only sitting SAC alert" died a long time ago and so did low hours in the tanker. I don't have the math but I personally have the same, if not more, hours in the KC-135 than my C-17 compatriots and definitely more than just about any other MWS. The AF has taken full advantage of the low mileage on the 135. Bad for being on the road, great for dudes that want an airline job.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Baseops Network mobile app

2 hours ago, baileynme said:

Just to be clear to the new dude, "only sitting SAC alert" died a long time ago and so did low hours in the tanker. I don't have the math but I personally have the same, if not more, hours in the KC-135 than my C-17 compatriots and definitely more than just about any other MWS. The AF has taken full advantage of the low mileage on the 135. Bad for being on the road, great for dudes that want an airline job.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Baseops Network mobile app

135 dudes are for sure building hours like crazy. I've been in the jet for 10 years and have almost 3100 hours, and that is on the low end compared to some of my bros flying the 135 (non-flying TDYs and my four month ADO deployment cost me about 400-500 hours).

Another benefit of the 135 flight time-wise is you rarely fly augmented. I've only flown augmented 6-9 times across my three ops assignments. Also, depending on crew compliment, you will probably keep you other time low. I only have about 250 hours of other time.

3 hours ago, Right Seat Driver said:

Another benefit of the 135 flight time-wise is you rarely fly augmented. I've only flown augmented 6-9 times across my three ops assignments. Also, depending on crew compliment, you will probably keep you other time low. I only have about 250 hours of other time.

^This. 

I spent 4 years in the C-17 and I only ever flew one trip as a basic crew. Racked up nearly 500 hours of other time during that assignment. Sucked balls. 

One often forgotten thing about tankers is that you work with almost every single other flying community in the AF. You have a piece of the fighter mission, conventional bombers, the AE mission, AFSOC, mobility, secret squirrel ISR, C2, TACAMO, Naval carrier defense, test pilot stuff, CAS, homeland defense alert, nuke bombers. You get a taste of several different parts of the flying world. Pretty much everybody except slick herks and helos.

On the airlift side, you tend to work a lot more with ground troops. Tankers have almost zero interaction with the Army. So if that's your bag, then go after it.

The most common guard/reserve heavies are herks and KC-135s, followed by C-17s, then C-5's, then finally KC-10's which only have 2 units, but honestly it's not that hard to transition if a unit is willing to hire you. But I guess what I'm saying is you're more likely to find a nearby tanker unit for your commute than you are a C-5 unit or something.

Former C-141 and C-17 guy as well. 141s were like airline flying, point to point throwing in Air Refueling (AR) from time to time just to be challenging. Never airdrop as we were not a SOLL II unit, but still basic fun. C-17 currency painful but plenty of hand flying like the Herc. HUD was a necessary cheat, but dumping a heavy aircraft into a short strip and stopping her (lightweight) before the Thrust Reversers (TR’s) were out was a kick. She is all brakes (Bugatti). I never really enjoyed the max rapid descents with TR’s out, preferred the non TR rapid descents personally. Departing the field at well less than 3000ft, suck the gear and continuing to accelerate, then pull (playing Fighter dude, that’s are best try) was another kick for a true heavy. She turns on a dime for a big girl and makes you look good with all the bells and whistles. I will say, unless you're doing Air Evac at .78/.80 smooth, trucking around at AMC .74 was dismal at times in the jet world. Flying an airline fast jet now and restricted to .90 max over the North Atlantic Tracks or customer restrictions to save gas/$ is still a lot faster than the C-17 ever was, so I now enjoy taking off after them and landing an hour prior to their arrival or more with normally more crew to split the task. I will say I do miss those hand flying challenges, or sneaking into dark airspace from 30K+ feet and reminisce over the few double AR days. Long and tiring, but incredibly rewarding getting that burn victim back stateside or whatnot. Flying to shattered places around the world with relief supplies and Rescue personnel is extremely rewarding as well. Bottom line, you will have some fantastic memories in the heavy world (Herc included) flying with your best friends taking the party to wherever you go = priceless!

Sounds like if your after flight hours the KC is the way to go, but you will get hired in this climate regardless if the commercial gig is what your after. I suspect the KC world would be easier to juggle both.

You can save a fighter dude or one of us heavy haulers who need to get somewhere and I was always greatful for Exxon on time! Beers and cheers to all of you @$$ kicking gassers out there. One of you fellas had to toboggan with me to help me out, great respect!

Note: This was Air Guard flying.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747
  • Upvote 1

C-130 and DV airlift guy here...

While I loved DV airlift, the 5-star hotels, and worldwide travel... the feeling of accomplishment from tac airlift can’t be duplicated elsewhere. 

The AOR airdrops, humanitarian support missions to untowered/unknown fields, and AOR LZ urgent medevacs have been the most rewarding missions of my career. 

Slicks aren’t ‘tip of the spear’ first-in assets like the MCs, but since MCs aren’t abundant, slicks augment SOC a decent amount. 17s are too valuable, so minus your SOL II flagpole flyers, it takes an act of congress to get AMC approval for anything dangerous/tactical in the moose

something to ponder

• Like 1

True, 17 is such a high demand expensive asset, it’s not thrown into just any situation. The Charleston SOLL II guys definitely are the blade in the real significant theaters of interest that demand bang for the buck, especially on 24hr or less worldwide notice. We had bullet holes in the 141 vs none during my 17 worldwide tour. 

11 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

If you have an opportunity to do either airlift or refueling in a MAJCOM that isn't AMC, you should seize that opportunity and stay there as long as you can.

Need to second this.  There is a lack of mission focus in AMC that you won't realize until you do a tour in PACAF or USAFE. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, NKAWTG said:

Need to second this.  There is a lack of mission focus in AMC that you won't realize until you do a tour in PACAF or USAFE. 

I found teaching in AETC while at the -135 FTU more enjoyable than I ever did my three previous assignments in AMC.

Edited by Sua Sponte
  • Like 1

Departing the field at well less than 3000ft, suck the gear and continuing to accelerate, then pull (playing Fighter dude, that’s are best try) was another kick for a true heavy.

At training weights on locals, it’s more like rotating at the captains bars. 900ft takeoff rolls and that’s with a derated thrust takeoff. It’s a blast to fly. I’m going to miss it, but I won’t miss all of the bs that goes along with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, hahaha very true - I didn’t pop up below 100knots unless stateside with the proper numbers of course. Since 03 and well beyond it was fantastic leaving our two primary AOR lengthy runways on just enuff fuel to the tanker/no cargo and back to Europe. Not that were speedy, but 250 was nice to ignore and bleed the speed on the pull, oh boy 2.3 Gs - stop laughing pointy heads. Great memories behind me as well as plenty of wheel barrows full of bs.

MooseAg03, you will miss it, you will miss flying with your buds, granted they will disappear as time drives on, but Chapter 2 ain’t bad flying for whatever reasons: $$$, lifestyle, great locations both foreign and domestic (see what I did there) or like me looking forward to good eats that really can’t be matched stateside. I also fly with my former mil friends a few times a year which is fantastic. Whether you fly light twins, heavy twins, pax and/cargo, international or domestic or both, it seems to be the first time a pilot can choose their desired location prior to their so-called dream airline if they so choose. Pick backwards, be my guest.

Fly your military jet folks and do it well. Those memories will never be paralleled outside of the “Force!”

Edited by AirGuardianC141747
  • Upvote 1