IBS and Aviation

Donnyteflon

Any current aviators that are in with active, but controlled IBS-C/D? 

I know the waiver guide considers the condition non-DQ if asymptomatic and controlled by diet, but requiring meds or symptomatic requires review and waiver. What is the likelihood of receiving this waiver based on experience? 

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Donnyteflon

10 hours ago, Donnyteflon said:

Any current aviators that are in with active, but controlled IBS-C/D? 

I know the waiver guide considers the condition non-DQ if asymptomatic and controlled by diet, but requiring meds or symptomatic requires review and waiver. What is the likelihood of receiving this waiver based on experience? 

Any input is greatly appreciated!

For someone applying to a flying position, I'd think the odds of a waiver are not good.  IBS and flying are just not compatible.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, pawnman said:

I don't have an answer, but I'd hate to share a cockpit for a 12-16 hour sortie with a dude that was shitting every hour on the hour.

I don’t have IBS-D so the chance of me shitting in the cockpit is zero lmao. Quite the opposite.

50 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

The medical commissioning guide and/or the aircrew waiver guide will spell it out, you need to check both.  Let Google be your guide.

Respectfully Sir,

Where do you think I pulled the criteria from in my OP? I read the waiver guide and did use google. I’m not asking if the condition is DQ or not. I’m asking if anyone has it, and the likelihood of a waiver. 

Neither the commisioning guide/aircrew waiver guide disclose this. Thank you for your responses!

Edited by Donnyteflon

9 hours ago, Donnyteflon said:

I don’t have IBS-D so the chance of me shitting in the cockpit is zero lmao. Quite the opposite.

Respectfully Sir,

Where do you think I pulled the criteria from in my OP? I read the waiver guide and did use google. I’m not asking if the condition is DQ or not. I’m asking if anyone has it, and the likelihood of a waiver. 

Neither the commisioning guide/aircrew waiver guide disclose this. Thank you for your responses!

I'm confused.  You're asking about the waiverability of a medical condition you don't have?

3 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

I'm confused.  You're asking about the waiverability of a medical condition you don't have?

I do. I just don’t have the “D” variant of the disorder. I have the other one (IBS-C). The one where I can’t shit. But I actually can if I just control it through diet which is what I was trying to articulate in my initial post. Sorry for the confusion. 

Edited by Donnyteflon

1 hour ago, Donnyteflon said:

I do. I just don’t have the “D” variant of the disorder. I have the other one (IBS-C). The one where I can’t shit. But I actually can if I just control it through diet which is what I was trying to articulate in my initial post. Sorry for the confusion. 

OK, then maybe my response was premature.  I'm not sure I can give you a good answer.  I haven't seen waivers or disqualifications for IBS-C.  All of the IBS cases I've seen are for the "D" variant which don't get approved.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

OK, then maybe my response was premature.  I'm not sure I can give you a good answer.  I haven't seen waivers or disqualifications for IBS-C.  All of the IBS cases I've seen are for the "D" variant which don't get approved.

Yeah. All the cases I’ve researched dealt with the “D” side of things. I just really want to fly and serve. Worst case though I get DQ’d and go back to nursing, but I don’t really want that.

I’ll shoot you a PM, Dayton.