Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LongShot

Please confirm my understanding

To make a long story short, I'm partially blind in one eye. I have a blind spot in my central vision that leaves me with normal peripheral vision, but no foveal acuity. It's a stable condition, but can't be fixed. Let's call that eye 20/400 and completely uncorrectable.

I'm 20/25 or so in the other eye, easily correctable to 20/20.

I'm having a hard time finding this definitively, but from what I can gather, I simply won't be able to fly jets for the military. Am I correct that a waiver or exception for 20/400 is simply not a possibility, despite being correctable to 20/20 in the other eye?

For what it's worth, my vision hasn't held me back at all as far as flying goes. I'm a civilian helicopter pilot and instructor (1500 heli hours), a regional airline first officer (1000 airplane hours), and an avid skydiver. No accidents/incidents. Ten FAA checkrides, no failures.

I'm prior enlisted military (4 years AD Army, 2 years Army NG).

I'd like to fly fighters in one of the Guard or Reserve components.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to read/reply.

Edited by LongShot

No chance as far as I’ve seen in the 19 years I’ve been flying jets in the USAF.  

Stick with the civilian career, sounds like it’s going well. You’ll be on with a major in no time. 

• Upvote 1

To add to EvilEagle, your vast flight experience in concert with your vision situation would be a tough cookie to sell. >1000 hours flying makes you an "old dog" to teach "new tricks" to. Some folks get hired on with these huge amounts of hours, but it's usually a stretch for them... and your vision would be another excuse for them to not take you on.

I appreciate the responses. Thank you!

I'll revisit the thread occasionally to see if there are any other ideas, but it sounds like I should focus my efforts on the civilian side. It's disappointing, as I really enjoy the technology, tactics, and skillsets you fighter guys get to employ, but I do consider myself lucky to get to fly at all.

Thanks again.

• Upvote 1