Please confirm my understanding

LongShot

To make a long story short, I'm partially blind in one eye. I have a blind spot in my central vision that leaves me with normal peripheral vision, but no foveal acuity. It's a stable condition, but can't be fixed. Let's call that eye 20/400 and completely uncorrectable.

I'm 20/25 or so in the other eye, easily correctable to 20/20.

I'm having a hard time finding this definitively, but from what I can gather, I simply won't be able to fly jets for the military. Am I correct that a waiver or exception for 20/400 is simply not a possibility, despite being correctable to 20/20 in the other eye?

For what it's worth, my vision hasn't held me back at all as far as flying goes. I'm a civilian helicopter pilot and instructor (1500 heli hours), a regional airline first officer (1000 airplane hours), and an avid skydiver. No accidents/incidents. Ten FAA checkrides, no failures.

I'm prior enlisted military (4 years AD Army, 2 years Army NG).

I'd like to fly fighters in one of the Guard or Reserve components.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to read/reply.

Edited by LongShot

No chance as far as I’ve seen in the 19 years I’ve been flying jets in the USAF.  

Stick with the civilian career, sounds like it’s going well. You’ll be on with a major in no time. 

• Upvote 1

To add to EvilEagle, your vast flight experience in concert with your vision situation would be a tough cookie to sell. >1000 hours flying makes you an "old dog" to teach "new tricks" to. Some folks get hired on with these huge amounts of hours, but it's usually a stretch for them... and your vision would be another excuse for them to not take you on.

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate the responses. Thank you!

I'll revisit the thread occasionally to see if there are any other ideas, but it sounds like I should focus my efforts on the civilian side. It's disappointing, as I really enjoy the technology, tactics, and skillsets you fighter guys get to employ, but I do consider myself lucky to get to fly at all.

Thanks again.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

You'd have to have an insane interview experience to get past those issues. If you want to apply, apply. However, I think people ask these questions so they're not spending time and money on applying only to spin their wheels in a scenario where the chances are pitted against them. Even with airline standby benefits, it will get expensive.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:50 PM, Catman said:

To add to EvilEagle, your vast flight experience in concert with your vision situation would be a tough cookie to sell. >1000 hours flying makes you an "old dog" to teach "new tricks" to. Some folks get hired on with these huge amounts of hours, but it's usually a stretch for them... and your vision would be another excuse for them to not take you on.

Plenty of regional pilots kick ass and take names in UPT. I personally know two who graduated at the very top of their class, and another who finished in the top third. As a UPT IP, I've seen students with regional backgrounds excel far more than they tend to struggle and they're usually the ones leading study sessions and teaching their peers how to make sense of instrument flying. Those with "vast hours" who struggle do so because of their attitude, and are in the definite minority. I'd say your analysis, while true in some extreme cases, is inaccurate. 

Edited by CPE1704TKS
  • Like 1

I'm speaking from the standpoint of applications, interviews, and earning a slot. The interviews I've done and the pilots I've spoken to have taught me that the magic experience range is between PPL and IR, possibly CPL. However, though less often, the interviewers have said that on some boards, they are targeting those with much more experience. The least often they are looking for are those with <10 hours (no solo), though, apparently, that is occasionally something they desire. It depends on what they're trying to get out of the candidate -- generally, they'd prefer getting at least a couple years of full-time out of you before you back off to drill status. Sometimes they don't care if you go right back to your airline at the earliest moment. Others are desiring someone who will stay on full-time until retirement. Obviously, they can't hold you to any of those expectations, but based on manning and requirements, these boards have varying desires.

Edited by Catman