Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mox

Trying to maximize leave close to retirement/terminal

Question for everyone smarter than me:

I am under my last year of AD service. I have 60 days saved, expecting 20 more between beginning of FY20 and 1 June 2020, then add 20 PTDY. I plan on taking the 20 days PTDY spread out in 3 day chunks mid-week, every other week just because. 

My question is for the remaining 80 day period. If 1June 2020 (retirement date) is on a Monday, do I have to take leave the Sat and Sun prior, or can I just return from leave on Friday and use those 2 extra days somewhere else?

TIA

Once you go terminal leave, you don't come back unless it's for some kind of administrative thing, which usually isn't good. 

• Upvote 1

Is PTDY able to be broken up like that for multiple weeks at a time....I didn’t think it was just free leave to use at your leisure, it’s for your “transition” to the real world

24 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

You can’t break up your 20 days of PTDY. It is one block “for securing post AF job.”

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I’m curious what folks’ experiences have been trying to do this...Table 4.5 says PTDY may be taken in increments up to the maximum period, but not successive Monday through Friday (aka gaming the system to save days over the weekend).

Personally vested, as I’m currently OCONUS and will (hopefully) be making several trips back to the states for airline interviews using PTDY days...I foresee a battle with MPF on this one.

That was my plan. I thought the AFI said you can break up PTDY. I was going to do Tu,W,Th for multiple weeks to cover possible interviews. I’m also under the impression you can’t work while on PTDY, but you can be interviewing

8 hours ago, Mox said:

Question for everyone smarter than me:

I am under my last year of AD service. I have 60 days saved, expecting 20 more between beginning of FY20 and 1 June 2020, then add 20 PTDY. I plan on taking the 20 days PTDY spread out in 3 day chunks mid-week, every other week just because. 

My question is for the remaining 80 day period. If 1June 2020 (retirement date) is on a Monday, do I have to take leave the Sat and Sun prior, or can I just return from leave on Friday and use those 2 extra days somewhere else?

TIA

I'm thinking about filling out the eligibility form on VMPF or MyPers in January 2020. I will propose a January 2021 retirement date. Did you have any troubles with the eligibility process? Everyone said do it at least a year out.

Posted (edited)

In the infinite wisdom of our system, TAPS is expanding to beyond a year, but our service makes you wait until inside a year to apply for retirement. Yet another example of the left hand not talking to the right. Can’t imagine why people want to leave this organization. 

Source: https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/04/18/changes-coming-militarys-transition-assistance-program-fall.html

Edited by war007afa
Source

You can also do TAPS at your house. You’re just required to get the briefings by CBT’s and show the Family Readiness Center the certificate at the end.

• Upvote 1

The PTDY can be broken up into separate chunks. I’ve used several blocks of a few days each to do interviews and look for a house over the last few months. I was hoping to use the remaining balance in conjunction with terminal leave if I can convince my CC to approve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

You CAN break up PTDY as others have said.  I’m not sure that after being gone for 2 months that I would have wanted to come back to work for 2 days to out-process, like you are alluding to.  If it is approved as terminal leave then your plan will not work.  If you can convince your CC to sign an ordinary leave form for 60 days and then you come back, sign in and go out process then good luck to you.  In my experience, this won’t happen but YMMV.

Also, in your scenario expect your pay to be delayed and screwed up due to DFAS issues with processing it like you desire.

Edited by Herk Driver

If you already have a job lined up, you can Clep out of 3 1/2 days of TAP. 

Or use that time to work on your apps quietly in the back of the classroom. I turned my airlineapps data into pilotcredentials data and got a call from SWA about a week later.  It was a nice weeklong break...