Trying to maximize leave close to retirement/terminal

Mox

Question for everyone smarter than me:

I am under my last year of AD service. I have 60 days saved, expecting 20 more between beginning of FY20 and 1 June 2020, then add 20 PTDY. I plan on taking the 20 days PTDY spread out in 3 day chunks mid-week, every other week just because. 

My question is for the remaining 80 day period. If 1June 2020 (retirement date) is on a Monday, do I have to take leave the Sat and Sun prior, or can I just return from leave on Friday and use those 2 extra days somewhere else?

TIA

24 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

You can’t break up your 20 days of PTDY. It is one block “for securing post AF job.”

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I’m curious what folks’ experiences have been trying to do this...Table 4.5 says PTDY may be taken in increments up to the maximum period, but not successive Monday through Friday (aka gaming the system to save days over the weekend).

Personally vested, as I’m currently OCONUS and will (hopefully) be making several trips back to the states for airline interviews using PTDY days...I foresee a battle with MPF on this one.

That was my plan. I thought the AFI said you can break up PTDY. I was going to do Tu,W,Th for multiple weeks to cover possible interviews. I’m also under the impression you can’t work while on PTDY, but you can be interviewing

8 hours ago, Mox said:

Question for everyone smarter than me:

I am under my last year of AD service. I have 60 days saved, expecting 20 more between beginning of FY20 and 1 June 2020, then add 20 PTDY. I plan on taking the 20 days PTDY spread out in 3 day chunks mid-week, every other week just because. 

My question is for the remaining 80 day period. If 1June 2020 (retirement date) is on a Monday, do I have to take leave the Sat and Sun prior, or can I just return from leave on Friday and use those 2 extra days somewhere else?

TIA

I'm thinking about filling out the eligibility form on VMPF or MyPers in January 2020. I will propose a January 2021 retirement date. Did you have any troubles with the eligibility process? Everyone said do it at least a year out.

In the infinite wisdom of our system, TAPS is expanding to beyond a year, but our service makes you wait until inside a year to apply for retirement. Yet another example of the left hand not talking to the right. Can’t imagine why people want to leave this organization. 

Source: https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/04/18/changes-coming-militarys-transition-assistance-program-fall.html

Edited by war007afa
Source

The PTDY can be broken up into separate chunks. I’ve used several blocks of a few days each to do interviews and look for a house over the last few months. I was hoping to use the remaining balance in conjunction with terminal leave if I can convince my CC to approve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You CAN break up PTDY as others have said.  I’m not sure that after being gone for 2 months that I would have wanted to come back to work for 2 days to out-process, like you are alluding to.  If it is approved as terminal leave then your plan will not work.  If you can convince your CC to sign an ordinary leave form for 60 days and then you come back, sign in and go out process then good luck to you.  In my experience, this won’t happen but YMMV.

Also, in your scenario expect your pay to be delayed and screwed up due to DFAS issues with processing it like you desire.

Edited by Herk Driver

If you already have a job lined up, you can Clep out of 3 1/2 days of TAP. 

Or use that time to work on your apps quietly in the back of the classroom. I turned my airlineapps data into pilotcredentials data and got a call from SWA about a week later.  It was a nice weeklong break...

• 1 year later...

Similar but different question.  I searched, but nothing popped up that was immediately identifiable.  I'm about to head overseas for my last assignment.  I'm within 2, so this will take me over 20 a bit.  I figure with my situation it's never too early to start figuring things out.  I'm going to be nowhere near an AF base, and recently I saw in some other thread (can't remember which one) that retiring from overseas can present problems.  Doing it away from big blue, I'm sure adds to that problem set.  I'm sure where I'll be working will have some info, and others filling this position have probably retired from it in the past, but this is a good source of info...

Anyone done this, or know someone who has?  I'll reach out with .mil if they don't want to talk here.  

5 hours ago, Chida said:

I separated at Yokota. No problems. I have read in the separations reg about stateside processing centers that could be applicable to your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried if I were at Ramstein, which will be closest to be via a plane ride, but I guess I'll figure it out.  In about 6 months, when I get there, I'll post up some answers to questions I ask in case anyone else runs into a similar situation.

I guess I'm not super worried, I just want to make sure the VA doesn't screw me on disability.  The job has done a number on my body, and not being close to one of those VA counselors that takes a look at your medical info to determine what you need to do is what I will miss.  I highly doubt someone like that exists where I'm going.

29 minutes ago, slackline said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried if I were at Ramstein, which will be closest to be via a plane ride, but I guess I'll figure it out.  In about 6 months, when I get there, I'll post up some answers to questions I ask in case anyone else runs into a similar situation.

I guess I'm not super worried, I just want to make sure the VA doesn't screw me on disability.  The job has done a number on my body, and not being close to one of those VA counselors that takes a look at your medical info to determine what you need to do is what I will miss.  I highly doubt someone like that exists where I'm going.

Find your state’s veterans affairs department (either where you are now or where you’re going when you retire). 

reach out to them now, make contacts, and explain your situation. 

the state folks are usually pretty good (and pretty aggressive) working your issues with the federal VA. 

our base guy was good at getting the ball rolling ... but missed a lot and it required a lot of work/coord after I retired. 

ive got florida contacts if you want them. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, HossHarris said:

Find your state’s veterans affairs department (either where you are now or where you’re going when you retire). 

reach out to them now, make contacts, and explain your situation. 

the state folks are usually pretty good (and pretty aggressive) working your issues with the federal VA. 

our base guy was good at getting the ball rolling ... but missed a lot and it required a lot of work/coord after I retired. 

ive got florida contacts if you want them. 

Great idea. Thanks!

7 hours ago, slackline said:

Just FYI, you can do 100% of your VA disability stuff up until 1 year after separation and get back pay until your date of separation.  This is what I did and had no issues.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 12:30 PM, Guardian said:

How far in advance can you do it?

The window to begin receiving benefits at discharge is 180-90 days prior to your retirement/separation date. I personally recommend having the paperwork already completed and ready to handover to the VSO at the 180 day mark. Make sure you keep track of your paperwork’s progress thru the system.

I unfortunately had a VSO, that retired immediately after submitting my paperwork, and they didn’t get a replacement for 4 months. The original VSO submitted my documents but the “receiving office” in Wisconsin failed to upload my medical records so they rejected my claim for lack of paperwork. I spent the next 70 days trying to get a status update, which couldn’t do because I didn’t have a local VSO to work with.

So the end result was the VA, rejected my BDD claim and stated they wouldn’t BEGIN processing my claim until my DOS versus the 180-90 days prior.

This started in Dec 2019, Mar 2020 is when I finally got some answers, which was too late at that point. 

Fortunately, I was hired by an Air Line, got in class, got sent home from training, withdrew retirement, and now I’m back on AD. 

At least I get a do-over when it comes to filing a disability claim, and I’m a lot more knowledgeable on the process now. 

• Like 1