Need some help for an Exception to Policy, anyone in AETC or knows someone?

Raider12

Thanks for reading!

I am a 10 year active duty Marine Special Operations Officer with Marine Special Operations Command.  I recently hit the lottery and got hired by an Air National Guard unit to change career paths and go to flight school and fly jets for them.

The day before my flight physical Wright Patterson called to let me know I can't do the physical because I have a back surgery on my record.  In 2011 I was wounded twice in Afghanistan and had some minor surgeries to recover in the coming years, and one was a micro-discectomy L5-S1 and was back to full duty two months later.  I have done over two years of operations since the minor back surgery and multiple training and combat deployments.  I have a current Spec Ops physical and no waivers or hardware.

If anyone reading this works at AETC or knows someone who does or is involved in an exception to policy, I would appreciate any help you could provide.

I have read the air force order and know that back surgery is disqualifying/non-waiverable but also know where there is a will there is a way.  My hiring unit is putting in an exception to policy for the back surgery, and I want to try and do everything I can to make it succeed.  This blog is a long shot, but if anyone out there thinks they can help I'd love to talk to you.  I have given 10 years of ground/spec ops service and hope to continue to serve as a pilot if I can get past this minor back surgery.

Thank you for your time.

• Like 1

It may be useful if your MDG leadership can get you evaluated at the USAF School of Aerospace Medicine Aeromedical Consulting Service (USAFSAM/ACS) at WPAFB.

ACS "may" recommend you get a waiver rather than an ETP, even though it's "not" waiverable.

Long shot, but they may be able to.

Edited by LookieRookie

Not sure if you checked it out but the medical forum has some ETP discussion for reference. 

I’m in the middle of an ETP in the AF reserve chain and if you do go the ETP route, AETC should not be a signature  anywhere in the chain. Message me if you are interested and I can provide a copy of my ETP that I put together for reference.

On trying to get approved medically, you can also apply to AFMSA (air force medical support agency) for a medical waiver. Not sure if ACS can help (cant hurt?) in my case they had already reviewed my case before AETC/SG said no. Have no experience with back related stuff as mine was vision related so  @stuckindayton may be the source for info on anything medical.

www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/topic/6866-exception-to-policy-etp-information/?page=4

Edited by jonlbs
Posted link to ETP thread

I’m not sure if it is different for an active flyer...but I know a guy who had a microdiscectomy in L5-S1 and he got a waiver to RTFS. It was a pain in the ass for him because the command wanted a bunch of extra stuff showing he could still push the rudder pedals and move the yoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Dude either way you had an incredible career. If you cannot get a waiver/ETP and it interest you, the RPA/MQ-9 community would really treasure you experience, if it interest you. Best of luck. I hope it all works out.

Are you going to an ejection seat aircraft? If so, I expect a waiver to be extremely difficult. This may be in their calculus for UPT, as well, since the T-6 has a seat. I’d expect to address that in your package. 

Are you going to an ejection seat aircraft? If so, I expect a waiver to be extremely difficult. This may be in their calculus for UPT, as well, since the T-6 has a seat. I’d expect to address that in your package. 

You will not get a waiver for the seat with previous back surgery. The seat going up the rails can paralyze you. I didn’t think of that.

My friend’s waiver says “non-ejection seat” or something like that.

5 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

You will not get a waiver for the seat with previous back surgery. The seat going up the rails can paralyze you. I didn’t think of that.

My friend’s waiver says “non-ejection seat” or something like that.

I’ve seen this, I’ve also seen it reversed.  The problem is he isn’t in the “club” yet, it’s going to be tough as an outsider.  The guy I knew was an Eagle baby, C-17s mid career then T-38s.  He got the reversal during his time in the C-17, but he already had silver wings.