ANG is giving away 20k bonus to pilots/trainee’s

Nuggets up. Got a call today from the retention office. The guard is giving away 20k bonus to pilots and those in pilot training. 

Does anyone know if AFRC is doing the same? Asking for a friend. 

Nuggets up. Got a call today from the retention office. The guard is giving away 20k bonus to pilots and those in pilot training. 
Does anyone know if AFRC is doing the same? Asking for a friend. 
What do you mean by "pilots and those in pilot training"? Why would they give bonuses to kids that would die to fly military jets for food? It's the O-4's and 5's running to IMA and Cat E jobs they need to pay bonuses to. Are traditionals eligible?

What do you mean by "pilots and those in pilot training"? Why would they give bonuses to kids that would die to fly military jets for food? It's the O-4's and 5's running to IMA and Cat E jobs they need to pay bonuses to. Are traditionals eligible?

Yes traditional are eligible. However it comes with a 4 year commitment from what my retention office said.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

This is exactly what we discussed this past weekend. This targets the wrong age group. Guys freshly back from UPT are eligible. I think it targets up to 10 year dudes. I forget the exact group.

1 hour ago, Gazmo said:
1 hour ago, Duck said:

Yes traditional are eligible. However it comes with a 4 year commitment from what my retention office said.

So $20k upfront for 4 years or $15k after tax (a little under $4k per year) or $20k per year for 4 years?

I wonder how many O-4/5s would would change their mind for 4K a year. 

Depending on the airline, you could pick up 1 or 2 extra trips per year and still be making more than this bonus with no strings attached. 

Edit: That said, it is a move in the right direction. But do more.

Edited by torqued

1 hour ago, Gazmo said:

So $20k upfront for 4 years or $15k after tax (a little under $4k per year) or $20k per year for 4 years?

My unit (and a few others I've heard from) are working to get bonus-eligible guys on a downrange trip for the tax-free.  Not sure if any of them have received the pay-out yet.

34 minutes ago, herkbum said:

I think it targets up to 10 year dudes. I forget the exact group.

Less than 15 years time in service.

I wonder how many O-4/5s would would change their mind for 4K a year.  Depending on the airline, you could pick up 1 or 2 extra trips per year and still be making more than this bonus with no strings attached. 

Edit: That said, it is a move in the right direction. But do more.

$4k a year after tax is laughable. There are pilots losing tens of thousands of dollars per year to stay in the ARC. If it were $20k per year, I would probably throw the idea around a bit, but would still most likely bail. I am not eligible anyway past 15 years. I guess they think we over the humpers are stuck until the bitter end. I've got news for them....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, torqued said:

I wonder how many O-4/5s would would change their mind for 4K a year. 

Depending on the airline, you could pick up 1 or 2 extra trips per year and still be making more than this bonus with no strings attached. 

I picked up a GS last year that paid a grand more than that PER DAY.  I lose more than 4k every month I go on orders, and missed more money in GS's (due to mil duty) that what I made in the Guard last year.  This won't sway anyone, but some may take the extra cash.  

1 hour ago, FUSEPLUG said:

Less than 15 years time in service.

Loved that little nugget.  Pretty much ruled out most of us prior-E's...or about half the damn Guard pilots.  I wouldn't take it at this point anyway.

• Like 2

I am post UPT, but pre B Course complete. I meet all the eligibility requirements and did some calling around about this bonus and I am met with: "Why would they give a bonus to someone in the training pipeline?" On paper, I meet all the qualifications, but I don't know why this would apply to someone within their initial 10 year commitment? Am I missing something here?

Also, one of the contingents on bonus eligibility is to not currently be AGR or ART. The question I asked was if I was to be hired in an AGR/ART position within the 4 year "commitment," would I have to repay a pro-rated amount of the bonus back? The answer I got was "probably not." I know this was standard circa 2012 on the enlisted side. Can anyone shed light on this? 

• Upvote 1

Ideal solution would be to pay the part-timers what they deserve - a full month's flight pay for maintaining qualification in the jet/mission - along with reasonable participation expectations.

ROA used to fight for this back in the day, never came to fruition...

If the ARC wants to keep more of it's experienced talent, I hope they reconsider! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 years more... Good for a few perhaps, not good for many and definitely not geared for the experienced who take that experience to the majors. They have some higher offerings but it still won’t stem the tide. Come on AF, add lifestyle to the check.

I have always mentioned to my folks, government doesn’t offer anything that isn’t more advantageous to them. Redux = lose 10% retirement for life for a mere $30K before taxes, ha! Only if your close to retirement and you knew you were dying soon after retirement.