Prior Service - Any advice or criticism welcomed

Hey guys and gals. I’m a prior service army dude looking to convince someone in the Air Force Guard or Reserves to pick me up and send me to UPT. Big preference on fighters, however, I’d be happy flying a cardboard box so I’m open to heavy’s or anything else except UAS. I’ve had my fair share of deployments so if I could return to war in something designed to fight, I’d be pretty stoked. So to keep it as brief as possible, here’s a quick synopsis of my current qualifications:

PCSM – 98
AFOQT – Pilot 99 / Nav 97 / Acad 66 / Verbal 76 / Quant 52

Flight Experience – I have over 3500 hours in 23 different aircraft that include anything from military helicopters to a multi-engine seaplane to commercial airliners. An additional 250 hours in full motion simulators. Of that, I have provided over 440 hours of instruction that took place in 6 different airplanes and helicopters. I was also an Army UH-60 instructor pilot.

Flight Hours
Total Time – 3500+
CFI/II – 440+ 
NVG – 465
RW – 2384
FW – 1150+ (over 800 ME Turbine)
Combat – 941
Imminent Danger – 214

FAA Certificates
RW ATP/CFI/CFII
FW AMEL ATP
FW CFI/CFII/MEI
FW Comm AMES/ASEL/ASES
Advanced Ground Instructor
Instrument Ground Instructor

Army Schools
UH-60 Instructor Pilot Course
Tactical Operations Officer
PR 290 Joint Personnel Recovery for Command and Staff
SERE C
A few more military schools but none that are really relevant 

Education 
B.S. Aeronautical Science w/ minor in MGMT
GPA 4.0 Honors: summa cum laude
M.S. Human Factors in Aerospace (6 out of 30 hours complete)
GPA 4.0 so far…

Deployments (4 separate trips)
12 months in Iraq
9 months in Afghanistan
9 months in Kosovo

Current LORs 
AF Col Ret. (Former FS Commander)
AF Lt Col Ret. (Former FS Commander)
Army Col Ret. (Career in JSOC and a Navy Test Pilot Grad)

Potentials LORs I could possibly get if I sacrifice my first born child...
Congressman (Representative)
Army Brigadier Gen. (Guard Pilot and state chief of staff)

Volunteer work at a school for children ages 6 and under with special needs

Future looking at upgrading to CPT at my regional airline this summer and maybe adding a glider rating to my FAA certificate for the hell of it

My problems
I’m 32 and given what seems to be the average 1 year time span to start UPT, I’ll need an age waiver.
I also may possibly need a H2 hearing waiver and from what I’ve read in the waivers guide, it’s possible but also challenging for a FC1.

I think that about sums it up. My apologies for the length. I know waivers can be difficult but I feel I have a fairly competitive packet for at least something that flies. I’m looking for some recommendations on how I could strengthen or improve my packet whether it be through LOR’s such as a congressman or better scores (my last resort). I plan on rushing every unit I apply for and showing up with a gift of sorts for their bar.

Finally, I have gotten a lot from this forum already so Ill do my best to contribute. For anyone with questions about the post 9/11 GI Bill and using it for flight training, feel free to PM me. I’ve used it for a few FAA ratings along with my degree and I believe there’s a form to use it for civilian DPE fees as well which can run $600+ a pop.  Additionally, for guys already in the service, if you don’t already know, you can take your FAA written exams for free (including AMEL ATP) at many Air Force bases. I can post a link to a website with all the testing locations. I’m a regional airline and army helo pilot with 13 years in the Guard and going on 1 year in the IRR. If you have any questions that pertain to anything I do, PM me and Ill do my best to answer or point you in the right direction. Thank you for reading and any comments ahead time. Take care

V/R

-    J

You might in theory not need an age waiver if you get picked up by a Reserve unit, they've been somewhat quicker lately getting people into the pipeline (I've seen as little as seven months from squadron interview to UPT, and I think they're continuing to shorten the wait). You will likely get an interview with any heavy squadron you apply to. My guess is that fighter squadrons are a long shot, they're loathe to do waivers and seem to dislike hiring older guys who are, in their experience, less likely to successfully make it through all the required training.

I wouldn't go crazy pursuing more "senior" letters of rec. A captain who knows you well and can speak to you personally is far better than a general who signs a form letter.

You've got one hell of a packet, dude. While I know nothing of the hiring inner workings as a new guy in the training pipeline, I think you could write your ticket, especially in the helo or heavy world, with your scores and background.

Gonna second @Stoker completely; especially on the Reserves timeline. I'm old as shit and needed an ETP,  but was able to hustle and go from unit hiring to OTS in right about 6 months with the Reserves; that's with pushing the ETP. Guard has supposedly streamlined things, but I've heard more than a few horror stories of drawn out processes and would expect a longer ride, if you go that route.

Biggest advice on next steps would be to get talking to a Recruiter to get the ball rolling on paperwork and your FC1. If you can get over the medical hump, the rest opens up quite a bit and I think you'd have no problem getting snagged. 

Good luck! 

I know of at least one fighter unit that just hired someone and is processing an age waiver for them.

Your packet is incredible, so push hard with every unit that interest you. If you apply to heavies too, I’m sure you’ll be hired within 6 months. It may take a little longer if you want fighters, but if you Interview half as well as your resume would imply, I think you have a great chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Hey guys, I appreciate the input. I’ll stick with the LOR’s I got for the time being. In regards to age waiver, I’m planning that I’ll need it no matter what and if I sneak in before being to old, then great. As it stands right now, I’m applying to both Guard and Reserve and the earliest board for the particular fighters I’m looking at don’t even begin until June. 

I did call a reserve recruiter about completing an unsponsored FC1 though but he wasn’t sure it would be worth it. He said that if I got picked up by a Guard unit that they would more than likely make me redo the whole thing. Additionally, since I will more than likely require a H2 waiver, he wasn’t sure if being sponsored or not would increase the likihood of being granted one. I tried to do my own research on this but if anyone has any additional opinions, they would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks again

- J

Edited by Whirlybird
Grammar

3 hours ago, Whirlybird said:

Hey guys, I appreciate the input. I’ll stick with the LOR’s I got for the time being. In regards to age waiver, I’m planning that I’ll need it no matter what and if I sneak in before being to old, then great. As it stands right now, I’m applying to both Guard and Reserve and the earliest board for the particular fighters I’m looking at don’t even begin until June. 

I did call a reserve recruiter about completing an unsponsored FC1 though but he wasn’t sure it would be worth it. He said that if I got picked up by a Guard unit that they would more than likely make me redo the whole thing. Additionally, since I will more than likely require a H2 waiver, he wasn’t sure if being sponsored or not would increase the likihood of being granted one. I tried to do my own research on this but if anyone has any additional opinions, they would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks again

- J

An FC1 is an FC1 so it should be valid whether it comes from a guard unit or reserves. @stuckindayton should be able to confirm this. It's the same DD Form 2808 that the Army gives, just different tests. Refer to my post on the "recent FC1 experience" forum for a detailed description of the physical.

The guard does take longer to access new pilot applicants than the reserves. so that may be a factor for the ETP. Start rushing units now and visit all the units you would like to be a part of. I applied to several units around the country, had four interviews, and two job offers. Some people it doesn't take as long, but i got a lot of "no's" to receive the perfect "yes" for my family and I. I couldn't be happier even if it meant waiting long to transfer from the Army Guard to Air Guard.