Brig Gen Short (Aircrew Task Force) AMA

AFsock

On 4/7/2019 at 12:58 PM, FLEA said:

Are these other FB pages written out (by group name) anywhere because I'm searching for a few that were just mentioned and can't find anything except MAF, Space and Acquisitions. 

There are quite a few Ops assignment FB pages out there, and for the sake of OPSEC I don't understand why folks continue to use FB to conduct official business.  If Big Blue is going to rely on a proven unsecured social media site then we should just stop with the whole SSN encrypted e-mail charade because both give the bad guys targeting information.  Might as well move the entire AF portal onto FB to save the taxpayers some money.

Btw, the whole SSN encryption requirement is dumb and 20 years too late.  Our SSNs have been available for a while now via other means and agencies.

Sorry to go off on a tangent.

1 hour ago, panchbarnes said:

There are quite a few Ops assignment FB pages out there, and for the sake of OPSEC I don't understand why folks continue to use FB to conduct official business.  If Big Blue is going to rely on a proven unsecured social media site then we should just stop with the whole SSN encrypted e-mail charade because both give the bad guys targeting information.  Might as well move the entire AF portal onto FB to save the taxpayers some money.

Btw, the whole SSN encryption requirement is dumb and 20 years too late.  Our SSNs have been available for a while now via other means and agencies.

Sorry to go off on a tangent.

My favorite is when it flags European phone numbers and won’t let you send things to people in the state department or NATO countries. 

On 4/6/2019 at 3:00 PM, pawnman said:

Mostly a waste.  Dodged the hard questions, blamed Congress for not raising the bonus.  I did learn the Air Force bonus take rate last year was about 45%, while the Navy/USMC rate was 78%... Something he cited as a reason Congress won't raise the bonus.  They think it's a cultural issue with the Air Force, since the Navy is doing fine with the same amount of money.

That is nowhere near accurate. The USMC has been spinning retention and readiness numbers for years. I personally know two Hornet dudes staying in.

I truly believe that the guys up at headquarters understand that there is a manning issue, but the truth is, nobody above them is really clamoring for them to fix it. SecDef doesn't seem to care that much, and POTUS obviously has enough on his plate. The wars and high priority missions are getting flown and fought, we're losing an acceptable number of jets (enough that it doesn't make the news), and Congress is getting money flowed into their districts under the current status quo.

I mean, let's all be honest, manning numbers are pretty much notional as it is. Until we start losing lives and jets because the few pilots that are left can't safely fly 200 hours a month, you're not going to see any revolutionary changes in the way we do business.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 6