Signing medical release form for civilian records

rbigred300

I am a traditional reservist and coming up on my annual PHA.  The med group did a search for my previous Tricare authorizations/referrals and based on that, it sounds like they want me to sign release forms so they can access those medical records from my civilian doctors.  I have seen several different types of doctors for varying issues over the past year, but not diagnosed with anything, so I don't have anything to hide; however, it concerns me to just sign blanket waivers for these records.  One reason is I know how ridiculously long it takes for them to request the records, receive them, look them over, send to HQ to look them over, realize there is a required test to be done, do the whole process again, type a memo, and then get back to me.

My question: I am curious if I am even required to sign these medical release forms?  I am guessing yes, but I don't want to sign anything that I don't have to, and create more paperwork.  Is it normal for a reservist to have to sign a release allowing the medical unit to request civilian doctor's records?

Not sure if you’re required to sign, nor am i sure if it’s normal to allow access to civilian doctors records BUT...

I was shopping myself around on the reserve side and got in touch with a very nice Flight Nurse peer. This data is a year old but they confirmed they were acquiring members civilian records and subsequently processing members for Retention/MEBs based on conditions found in their civilian records. It all stemmed from the “lethality” memo the SECDEF pushed in 2017. If you can’t deploy you’re out. This unit in particular told members they had X months to find a non-deployable job and transfer or action would be taken. Again this is year old data but based on your inquiry it still may appear to be happening (i.e. gaining access to civilian records)

best of luck.