Guard units who want to keep the F-15

I am in the process of applying and was wondering if there are any units that specifically want to remain with the F-15 in the future. I realize one can't afford to be picky in applying, so I'm shot gunning apps to any fighter unit I can stand to live at that gives me the best ability to go home and spend time with family. A recent conversation with a pilot in a C unit told me they were indifferent to the -35 or new 15s. I think it would be cool however to fly the jet that was on posters hung in my room growing up, and it may be beneficial to invest more time in visiting those particular units. This thread is not intended to turn into a -35 vs -15 debate, there is a seperate thread for that. 

I think you are confused on how all of this works.  If they “wanted” to have fighters, I think 90% of units would be flying them.  It’s a way bigger picture than I’ll lay out here or you need to understand, but it’s up to Congress (and sometimes, very rarely, the states) to place fighter units around the country. If congress decided to take away or switch airframes, there isn’t a lot the individual unit can do but bitch.   Stick with units that appear to provide some sort of costal defense and you’ll be good.  And I don’t wanna call bullshit, but none of my F-15 friends would ever say that, most would stick with the F-15.  Do you wanna fly fighters or live by your family?  You may have to decide.

Edited by matmacwc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know of a unit that when they were forced to switch from fighters to heavy they took all the squadron furniture threw it on the flightline and set it on fire. This was at an international airport nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you want to be at the leading edge of capability and uniqueness and capability of thought, go to a unit that flies something in the Air to Air role. F15C/F22. It is a dynamic ever changing environment that you can’t really plan 100% for but you can prepare for. Fighters in general are that way and all are awesome in their own rights but take a tremendous amount of daily commitment and desire to be good at employing the platform you are in, in a war time environment. You don’t want to be the guy who is average or ok. You won’t last long because they can’t afford it. So if the only answer to why you want to fly fighters or F15Cs in general is because you had a poster of them on your wall when you were growing up, I can tell you that won’t be enough. So when you are busting your butt and working really hard to get where or what you want, and you ask yourself “why am I working this hard and doing this to myself?” and you answer because of a poster and because it’s cool (it is) then you will likely not do as well or give up. So really you need to sit down and self assess the what and the why and then don’t let anyone stop you because your why is so powerful to you that you would do most anything to accomplish it.

• Like 1

As matmacwc said, stick to the coastal defense / alert units for longevity sake. Regarding unit conversions (very unfortunate at times) its a very political arena and you get water boarded til you comply - Eagles to Herks (Montana). Or from Vipers to Reapers (Boys from Syracuse) - These are just examples and I am not picking on anyone so forgive me for bad memories. Despite being a heavy lifter almost from the get go, I have worked/seen a few unit transitions from the pointy nose world to us trash haulers and they are far from smooth like Duck mentioned. And the most current mess from fighter to lift and now possibly something else to meet “the needs” of the Air Force (PRANG) - and the list will go on forever. Like real estate dictates “location, location, location” - buyer be ware - it’s longevity, longevity, longevity if your stove piped with your mindset to a particular weapon system or an actual flying gig. Good luck with all your endeavors and understand the workload, dedication and commitment like Guardian mentioned.

• Like 1

Looked at similar questions during my search. Oregon has the most to lose if the F15 goes away due to K-falls being the training base. So the state as a whole will maneuver to keep the F15, but if they get something else that sends federal pork to Oregon, the state powers won't care if it is a blimp or fighter. That said, the F15C/D will have to go away at some point. Whether it is replaced by the F15X, F35, a new F22 line, a brand new clean sheet fighter, or some unmanned aircraft is totally subject to political maneuvering that is outside the desires of any unit as matmacwc said. The remaining F15 locations that hire for UPT would probably have to be replaced by some sort of fighter if the F15 goes away - but the safest are those that have no other fighters nearby like Fresno and Portland.

I would also argue that the K-Falls location would be silly for the AF to give up due to the costs of the area being fairly low, high flyable days a year, balmy winters, and no hurricanes/tornados. However logic like that is not used in deciding base realignment/closure. Part of your search might also include where you can get your day job when the guard flying dries up, who you want to spend considerable amounts of time with (each unit has a different culture), and who is willing to say yes to you too. If air to air is the mission you want, visit the F15 units that are hiring and decide. If you want to mix it up with some air to ground then check out the -16 and -35 units as well. If you want to be in a fighter at all costs and don't have things in your file that distinguish you head and shoulders over your peers, then find whoever will say yes to you and run with it.  There is definitely tough competition out there for the boards. Years down the road, after you pay your dues, you can apply to a rated board elsewhere and even in a different airframe if that's what you want at that point.  

• Like 1

No, K Falls is good for now because it’s an RTU, but don’t think that Oregon having 2 fighter units hasn’t gotten anybody’s attention.  Other than that, if your not getting info straight from the NGB, you’re guessing.  Fake news!!!

• Like 1