Gov Travel Card abuse?

bennynova

Anything against building up an absurd amount of negative balance on your GTC account (by constantly overpaying it with voucher disbursement’s) and then using the ATM to withdraw $300 or over on a regular basis to do whatever you want with while TDY and away from the family?

asking for a friend

i know there are cash advance limits, but this isn’t really a cash advance as much as it’s using the GTC to hold money that belongs to you, and taking it out at your leisure.

Edited by bennynova
Added

I don’t know, but why wouldn’t you just save $300 and blow it when you get there, or get a separate credit card your family can’t see, or maybe save the money or find someone who doesn’t question....oh, nevermind, I’m ramblin’ now.

Putting it on your GTC seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

• Upvote 1

Doubt it. You’re allowed to use it for ATM withdrawals. The only issue would be when Citi cuts you a check for the negative balance you might have to pay it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, ihtfp06 said:

Doubt it. You’re allowed to use it for ATM withdrawals. The only issue would be when Citi cuts you a check for the negative balance you might have to pay it.

A negative balance is money that citi bank owes you.... am I reading your response wrong?

A negative balance is money that citi bank owes you.... am I reading your response wrong?

Yes. The issue is they will cut you a check for the negative balance, so when you make the ATM withdrawal you may have to pay it back. I think they automatically send you a check when you’re past the 60 day mark with a negative balance. Also, it sounds like the OP isn’t, but don’t ever use it for an ATM withdrawal when you’re not on a TDY.

1 hour ago, bennynova said:

Anything against building up an absurd amount of negative balance on your GTC account (by constantly overpaying it with voucher disbursement’s) and then using the ATM to withdraw $300 or over on a regular basis to do whatever you want with while TDY and away from the family?

asking for a friend

i know there are cash advance limits, but this isn’t really a cash advance as much as it’s using the GTC to hold money that belongs to you, and taking it out at your leisure.

That’s actually rather impressive. 

I guess if he is disbursing  his meals/mileage money on it it’s  prob fine, you could probably justify it without to much suspicion. I would be careful of intentionally overpaying money out of his checking account and holding a negative balance though. Eventually it’s going to raise a eyebrow at some level, best case he gets told to knock it off, worse case it starts a Miley Gate 2.0 situation. I’m sure some GS/OSI/legal would have a wet dream trying to fry him for it for abuse of his card.

Government don’t like when you mess with their $$$. 

Probably in everyone’s best interest to tell him it’s not a good idea and advise him of other ways to hide a stripper fund. 

*edit, as I re read your post, I guess if he is just withdrawing his mileage/meals as soon as the voucher pays and saving it for a rainy day it’s fine. As said above, just paying extra ATM fees. 

Edited by viper154

To be clear, i’m Not asking how to further get away with anything.  I’m asking because someone who works for me has been doing this....

are there any rules or regulations that state this is illegal?

Sorry man, usually when people say “asking for a friend” they usually mean “my ass is in a sling and I’ve gotta cover it quick.”
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, bennynova said:

asking for a friend

If your ANG, a simple trip to your OG GTC rep. for a quick chat, problem gone.  If your AD, probably not but it is a bit weird.  I though the same thing as @Gazmo but it could just be the way the dude does accounting, never letting travel money hit his personal accounts.

i had an outstanding $8k on my GTC for 5 months due to a clerical error somewhere in the bowels of Davis Monthan AFB, boy I heard about it, but everyone was understanding I wasn’t gonna pay it myself.

Edited by matmacwc

If your ANG, a simple trip to your OG GTC rep. for a quick chat, problem gone.  If your AD, probably not but it is a bit weird.  I though the same thing as [mention=76873]Gazmo[/mention] but it could just be the way the dude does accounting, never letting travel money hit his personal accounts.
i had an outstanding $8k on my GTC for 5 months due to a clerical error somewhere in the bowels of Davis Monthan AFB, boy I heard about it, but everyone was understanding I wasn’t gonna pay it myself.
A few years ago there was a DEAMS issue and lots of vouchers weren't getting paid. I had just come back from a 5 week deployment and my GTC had a hefty balance on it (we broke in Hickam twice... hate it when that happens!). Travel voucher went near 60 days overdue and unit leadership at the time was telling us we needed to pay out of pocket. I politely told them to pound salt and that I wasn't paying a dime until I got my money for the trip. Sorry...not my fault the GVT is as F'd up as it is and can't manage to run a "business" like it should.

A few years ago there was a DEAMS issue and lots of vouchers weren't getting paid. I had just come back from a 5 week deployment and my GTC had a hefty balance on it (we broke in Hickam twice... hate it when that happens!). Travel voucher went near 60 days overdue and unit leadership at the time was telling us we needed to pay out of pocket. I politely told them to pound salt and that I wasn't paying a dime until I got my money for the trip. Sorry...not my fault the GVT is as F'd up as it is and can't manage to run a "business" like it should.
Your APC should put the card in mission critical status - upsets Citibank a little, but prevents them shutting off your card, etc. and the other actions normally associated with late balances