Applying to AD OTS and Reserves at the same time?

Riddles

Has anyone ever applied or attempted to apply for an OTS Rated slot and the Air Force Reserves for a pilot slot at the same time?

A little back story, I am AD and want to apply to the rated board this November (application due in October). However, they only picked up 20 pilots this last board and I want to keep my options open as I want to fly. What are the chances of being able to apply to both? Has anyone ever done it before? Both applications are due in October and both boards are in November. Am I going to be forced to choose one or the other?

IIRC, there's a legit thing for civilian applicants where the medical system can't handle you processing through applying to more than one component at once. But if you're already in, should be a non-issue. If you're competitive for a Reserve slot, why waste time on a long-shot at AD?

Not sure how it works with u as an active duty person, but when I was in the guard a long time ago I applied for OTS and some guard bases at the same time. I had a couple guard pilot interviews lined up when the AD pilot slot came calling.  U kinda get a guarantee-ish of what plane you’ll fly with the reserves tho. It’s always nice to have options and any accessions recruiter should b able to help u out. 

11 hours ago, Stoker said:

IIRC, there's a legit thing for civilian applicants where the medical system can't handle you processing through applying to more than one component at once. But if you're already in, should be a non-issue. If you're competitive for a Reserve slot, why waste time on a long-shot at AD?

I don't really know if I am competitive or not, but I know some people inside of that unit. I honestly believe I would be more competitive for an AD slot with a PPL than at a Guard or Reserve unit that pretty much requires one. The average PCSM score on AD this last board was 39 and only a few had their PPL already. However, I would like the stability of a Guard or Reserve unit. It's definitely a tough call, hence why I am wondering if I could do both.

8 hours ago, isuguy1234 said:

Not sure how it works with u as an active duty person, but when I was in the guard a long time ago I applied for OTS and some guard bases at the same time. I had a couple guard pilot interviews lined up when the AD pilot slot came calling.  U kinda get a guarantee-ish of what plane you’ll fly with the reserves tho. It’s always nice to have options and any accessions recruiter should b able to help u out. 

I will have to contact the closest one to find out. Thanks for the direction.

Why don't just do what Curtis Lemay did and join all three! 

"On June 14, 1928, the summer before the start of his senior year, LeMay accepted a commission as a second lieutenant in the Field Artillery Reserve of the U.S. Army. In September 1928, LeMay was approached by the Ohio National Guard and asked to accept a state commission, also as a second lieutenant, which LeMay accepted.

On September 29, 1928, LeMay enlisted in the Army Air Corps as an aviation cadet. For the next 13 months, he was on the enlisted rolls of the Regular Army as a cadet and he held commissions in the National Guard and Army Reserve. His status changed on October 2, 1929, when LeMay’s Guard and Reserve commissions were terminated. These commissions were revoked after an Army personnel officer, realizing that LeMay was holding officer and enlisted status simultaneously, called him to discuss the matter and LeMay verbally resigned these commissioned ranks over the telephone."