How often do units do boards and hiring?

I tried searching and couldn't find anything on how often do units hire. Is it every year or is it once every few years?

I'm a 27 year old junior in college and New Jersey is my top choice (I'm originally from there). Ideally, I would love any unit in the Northeast, Great Lakes States or even Idaho or Wyoming. I love cold weather, four seasons, lush forests, mountains, hockey and snowboarding. Right now I live in the south and it's not for me.

I would prefer a fighter unit but I am fine with flying heavies.

The other reason I would prefer to move back is I would like a Law Enforcement civilian career. In the Northeast and Great Lakes states, the police unions are stronger. Up there the police are paid better and have more off time. I also have family in New Jersey, New York and PA that work in Law Enforcement that can help me get a job.

I'm hoping I can get the AFOQT and TABS done by April 15, so I can apply to New Jersey. But there is a chance I might miss the deadline. I know Wisconsin is hiring for 2020 and I missed New Hampshire.

It completely depends on hiring needs, but it seems a lot of places are twice a year; with once annually being the most common. McGuire has 3 options (2 KC-10 squadrons and a C-17 squadron) that seem to hire a decent amount. I've heard the KC-10 squadrons supposedly have low manning, but I've also met a metric f-ton of people recently going to fly for those squadrons. If you go Guard, you've got NYANG C17s at Stewart that will click off your season/mountain/civil service job points. NYPD pays pretty well, you're definitely seeing some interesting stuff and have a lot of options for work environments, and The City is pretty solid with supporting military service. That unit has quite a few NYPD/FDNY members, too. 

Anyway, knock out those AFOQT and TBAS tests and see where your scores will take you. It'll give you a much better idea where you stand that you'll know what doors will be open. Then you can turn your focus to the other pieces.  

3 hours ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

It completely depends on hiring needs, but it seems a lot of places are twice a year; with once annually being the most common. McGuire has 3 options (2 KC-10 squadrons and a C-17 squadron) that seem to hire a decent amount. I've heard the KC-10 squadrons supposedly have low manning, but I've also met a metric f-ton of people recently going to fly for those squadrons. If you go Guard, you've got NYANG C17s at Stewart that will click off your season/mountain/civil service job points. NYPD pays pretty well, you're definitely seeing some interesting stuff and have a lot of options for work environments, and The City is pretty solid with supporting military service. That unit has quite a few NYPD/FDNY members, too. 

Anyway, knock out those AFOQT and TBAS tests and see where your scores will take you. It'll give you a much better idea where you stand that you'll know what doors will be open. Then you can turn your focus to the other pieces.  

I'm definitely going to rush and get in contact with the 305th Air Mobility out of McGuire. Ideally, if I could live in Sussex County on a acreage property and either work as NJSP, Sussex County Sheriff or even NYPD that would be great. Do you think Sussex County is too far of a commute to NYC? Then again I new people who commuted from Ocean County to NYC every morning.

I also do have family in the city. Every borough except Manhattan. The only place in Manhattan I have ever been to is MSG to see the Rangers. (We took the train from Jersey).

Also Upstate New York is gorgeous. Going to Cooperstown as a kid is my all time favorite vacation better than Disney. I also have family in Utica, Rome and a few other places Upstate.

Edited by JohnClark
Formatting.

On 3/26/2019 at 12:08 PM, JohnClark said:

Do you think Sussex County is too far of a commute to NYC?

No idea, unfortunately. I will say that you won't be able to live in NJ (legally) while working for NYPD. Us and NYPD can't a mile across the Hudson in Jersey City, but you can live 100 miles out in Montauk on LI. Of course, there are folks that don't fully follow those NY State only residency rules, but you're doing so at your own risk and, if you get caught, it can be painful.

Sounds like you've got a pretty open batch of options, so good luck! You've got a lot of time, too, so just be persistent!

On the average units interview candidates twice a year/approximately 6 month intervals. Sometimes only once a year due to budgetary issues/bad years. As mentioned before it’s dependent upon unit manning requirements and how many slots are allocated per fiscal year. Sometimes 1 slot is only available sometimes 2 or 3, etc. Guard Bureau/ANGRC requests a certain amount and may or may not receive all of these slots. These requests are based upon Fighter/Heavy flow requirements/unit inputs. I suspect Reserves or AFRC HQ does the same as we have worked together on such budgetary concerns. Wishing ya’ll the best on your endeavors!

• Like 1