Did NASA/JPL rip off Squadron Posters?

Trogdor

10 hours ago, Trogdor said:

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/visions-of-the-future/

I thought of Squadron Posters the second I saw NASA's poster art.  I thought maybe Squadron Posters did some of the design...  Maybe the style is just one of those viral/in vogue design things that I don't keep up with.  Like Squadron Posters, I think they look cool.  

I'm pretty sure the Squadron Posters were themselves a translation of the early 1900s travel poster style.

• Upvote 1

No, art deco has been around for a century after replacing art nouveau as a major decorative style after WWI...

It represented a machine age aesthetic, replacing flowing, floral motifs with streamlined, geometric designs that expressed the speed, power and scale of modern technology.

Design influences were many, from the modern art movements of Cubism, Futurism and Constructivism to ancient geometric design elements from the exotic cultures of Egypt, Assyria and Persia. In poster art, precursors were the German Plakatstil, the Viennese Secession and the Parisian fashion design revolution that began in 1908.

The style received its name from the Decorative Arts Exposition of Paris in 1925, which marked the full flowering of Art Deco design. Simplification and abstraction were always it's hallmarks, although the graceful elegance and exoticism of its early days yielded to a more muscular and forceful style in the late 1920s and 1930s.

That final phase is often called the "Cassandre Style" after its most famous artist, who enjoyed a one-man show at the Museum of Modern Art in 1936. Cassandre's sleek designs of towering ships and speeding trains are still considered the style's quintessential images.

Image result for Caveman next time do a little research

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 7:47 PM, FishBowl said:

If some things are “in vogue”, what things are “out vogue”?

“In vogue” means something is in style or generally preferred.

“Out of vogue” means something is no longer in style or preferred.

“Straight out of Vogue” means something is really in style. 

Edited by HU&W

1 hour ago, HU&W said:

“In vogue” means something is in style or generally preferred.

“Out of vogue” means something is no longer in style or preferred.

“Straight out of Vogue” means something is really in style. 

Image result for Madonna Vogue

• Like 2