Having Trouble Getting a Chance to Take the AFOQT/TABS

JohnClark

I've been trying since January to take the AFOQT. I have the study guides, I've taking the online practice tests, etc. But I can't seem to get anyone body to let me physically take the test! The threads I read on here say to contact your look AFROTC Detachment. I did and they told me they only allow non-cadets to take it once in the fall during the beginning of the semester. Only cadets can take it any time. I've gone to almost every Air Force recruiting office in my metro area to try and schedule a date to take the test. All of them say you have to be putting together an officer packet before they let me take the test and I don't have enough college credits to start putting together a packet. (I'm a Junior in college).

One of the recruiters did tell me about a line officer recruiter. He gave me there number and they are two hours away. I've tried calling but every time I do the phone just rings. No voicemail, it will ring for 10 minutes straight if I let it. I've also tried calling the Guard units I'm interested in rushing but I can't get a real person on the phone. (I have emailed them with my intentions of one day being and officer and flying for them, just haven't heard back).

Any advice on what to do?

AFOQT was harder to schedule. Be patient. Some guard units might do it once or twice per year, same with ROTC detachments. ROTC they usually do it early in the spring semester so not surprised if you missed it. Guard is up to them. I had one scheduled in June and another offered in October. Just take the extra time studying. It's an all day event so they want as many people at once as possible. 

TBAS they offered twice per week so that was easy to schedule. 

On 3/15/2019 at 12:06 PM, DifferentViper said:

AFOQT was harder to schedule. Be patient. Some guard units might do it once or twice per year, same with ROTC detachments. ROTC they usually do it early in the spring semester so not surprised if you missed it. Guard is up to them. I had one scheduled in June and another offered in October. Just take the extra time studying. It's an all day event so they want as many people at once as possible. 

TBAS they offered twice per week so that was easy to schedule. 

I asked my ROTC unit back in January. The Captain told me only cadets can take it in the fall due to limited slots. I want to apply to the New Jersey Air National Guard. Their deadline is April 15th. I've been trying to take the AFOQT since January to get a packet in to them. How often do units do hiring? Is it every year or is it once every few years?

I just had to be persistent calling the recruiter at my states ANG base. It took a while and a lot of me saying no to enlisting first, but after several phone conversations I got the test scheduled at a MEPS location. I dont remember the frequency of testing there, but I was the only one taking it when I did. 

I had some good luck talking to the Reserve recruiter and going through them for the testing. Sometimes they are more apt to do the testing as they have a wider scope than the ANG recruiter for a particular base. I live in a major metro area so the recruiter/MEPS is close to me so that plays into it as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Baseops Network mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

JohnClark,

I experienced some of the same initial problems as you two months ago. I ended up scheduling with a ROTC unit at a university near my house although I had the option of utilizing the testing center at Tinker AFB in OKC. To contact the facilities, I used the numbers listed on:

https://access.afpc.af.mil/pcsmdmz/TBASInfo.html

If you go to the left hand column and click on “TBAS Locations” then a list will appear with numbers for every TBAS center. All the facilities I called offered the AFOQT as well. 

To answer your question about recruiting, it would appear as far as I can tell that hiring is somewhat random. Some units seem to post a UPT board every fall or spring while others haven’t posted one in years, and some will hire 2+ applicants at a time... I typically reference https://bogidope.com/squadron-job-listing to figure who’s looking for applicants. Not every unit will post upt announcements here but a lot seem to. Another way is to go to the “MAP” on bogidope and find the specific unit you’re looking at and contact them via email or phone. Hope this helps.

V/R

J

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody get an error when trying to connect to access.afpc.af.mil sites? I keep getting: "Your connection is not private" with this message: NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

I tried on Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, work computer, home computer, iphone, and every possible combination of the aforementioned items. 

The site that I'm trying to connect to is this: http://access.afpc.af.mil/pcsmdmz/AFOQTPrepMaterials.html

I tried a security certificate workaround that I found by searching google, but no success.