OPRs for dummies

Lumbergh

Does anyone know of any documents that would explain (hopefully in layman's terms) how to read an OPR?  Long story short, I switched over to the Navy Reserve and I'm going before an application board soon and I need to include some of my last OPRs from the AF.  The board won't know how to tell a good OPR from a bad one.  They won't understand things like stratifications, etc.  Is there anything out there that would decipher OPR merits?  Thanks!

That's funny...I always look at the stuff that tries to explain what you actually did. Hmmm...always looking at the parts that "don't matter" (blonde, thin, firm boobs, thigh gap, rich, etc.). I really need to learn how to live.

~Bendy

• Upvote 2

On 3/12/2019 at 12:11 AM, Lumbergh said:

Does anyone know of any documents that would explain (hopefully in layman's terms) how to read an OPR?  Long story short, I switched over to the Navy Reserve and I'm going before an application board soon and I need to include some of my last OPRs from the AF.  The board won't know how to tell a good OPR from a bad one.  They won't understand things like stratifications, etc.  Is there anything out there that would decipher OPR merits?  Thanks!

I am switching Navy to Air Force so may I could give some insight, however some more info would be helpful. Are you already a SELRES in the Navy? Are you applying to a Pilot Selection Board or is it a Promotion Board? 

The best option may be to submit a letter to the board describing your career in the Air Force highlighting what OPRs would be equivalent to a Navy high-water FITREP at career milestones (i.e. post first operational tour, post instructor tour, etc.). But again some more info would help since a letter to the promotion board is different than a letter to a selection board. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 8:05 AM, Bob85 said:

I am switching Navy to Air Force so may I could give some insight, however some more info would be helpful. Are you already a SELRES in the Navy? Are you applying to a Pilot Selection Board or is it a Promotion Board? 

The best option may be to submit a letter to the board describing your career in the Air Force highlighting what OPRs would be equivalent to a Navy high-water FITREP at career milestones (i.e. post first operational tour, post instructor tour, etc.). But again some more info would help since a letter to the promotion board is different than a letter to a selection board. 

Already a SELRES in a flying squadron and applying to another SELRES flying squadron. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
42 minutes ago, soupafly06 said:

Anyone here refuse to sign their OPR because they disagreed with the strat (or lack of one) and job push recommendations? If so, how’d that work out for you? Asking for a friend....

It won't. There's a drop-down for your rater to sign for you that says member refused to sign 

1 hour ago, soupafly06 said:

Anyone here refuse to sign their OPR because they disagreed with the strat (or lack of one) and job push recommendations? If so, how’d that work out for you? Asking for a friend....

Read the text under the block. It reads acknowledgement, not agreement. 

With regard to strats and pushes, there is no right to them. They’re wholly-owned by the endorser. If a conversation can’t overcome the hurdle, refusal to sign is absolutely caustic  

This is a bad play.  

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the thoughts gents.  As a passed over guy I get no strats or decent pushes anymore despite assurances of a job well done from leadership.  I just have to tell myself it’s a vicious cycle of crapping on the passed over guy because it’s easy and “I had my chance” than a true measure of my performance within the organization.  

Still, it sucks to be down in this hole trying to climb out while the USAF keeps shoveling more dirt in on top, no wonder the APZ rates are so low.