Oregon ANG

Long time lurker here, 

I have searched through the forums without luck trying to find out a bit more about the OR ANG.

When applying I understand that they pool all applicants together and pick a couple highly qualified applicants out, for both Klamath Falls and also Portland. My question is if interviewed and picked up does the candidate get any say where he/she goes? Klamath has a largely different mission than Portland and I understand you'd get "farmed" out to another unit for several years before you return to the 114th and then are full time, whereas at Portland it is more of the traditional guard "gig". 

We were told you that if you were selected for K. Falls then you would not go directly there after B-course. You would be assigned to another unit until you have enough hours/experience to make IP then you would return to K. Falls to teach the B-course. This is gouge from a few years ago so YMMV. As far as being assigned to either unit, you are applying for both and should expect to be hired by either one based on needs of the ORANG.

27 minutes ago, Vimix22 said:

We were told you that if you were selected for K. Falls then you would not go directly there after B-course. You would be assigned to another unit until you have enough hours/experience to make IP then you would return to K. Falls to teach the B-course. This is gouge from a few years ago so YMMV. As far as being assigned to either unit, you are applying for both and should expect to be hired by either one based on needs of the ORANG.

Putting a brand new driver fresh out of FTU at K Falls doesn’t sound like a good plan.  Experience in an ops unit followed by IP upgrade there is the best option before someone goes back to Klamath to learn to instruct B-course students.  While it may be counter intuitive, instructing ops pilots in MQT, FLUG, IPUG, etc is easier and a very different animal than taking a zero hour pilot through FTU.  

When I was at Tyndall, checking out a one tour Eagle driver who had never been an IP was usually more work than one with ops instructor time. Not impossible or unavoidable at times, but at least he has ops experience. I can’t imagine have the equivalent of an “Eagle FAIP” is considered a good way to do things.  Short changes the IP in his effort to be the most effective and credible in his role and ultimately short changes his students too.