AFOQT Prep Book Recommendation

Hey everyone,

So I bought the Trivium and Barron test prep books and am using the AFOQT study guide website to aid in preparing for the AFOQT, which I take in about a month. Are their any recommendations or additional products I should use or possibly discard from my current study materials to help me get good scores. The first time I tested I didn’t study at all  (maybe 1 or 2 days) but this time I am giving myself about 1-2 months of prep.

i retook the TBAS and did pretty good. My current pilot is a 49 w/ a PCSM of 18. Once I retest I will start accruing flight hrs.

dude honestly, just get an SAT prep book and crush it. Same types of maths and english only thing it wont help is the blocks and spatial orientation stuff which i would argue is something you either have a talent for or dont.

Disagree. Knowing how the (spatial orientation, etc) questions are asked and how to answer them will only improve your score and reduce the stress of testing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I take the AFOQT at the end of this month. I also bought a couple prep books and feel like they are a valuable resource, but if you feel good about the table/instrument/aviation/blocks sections you might as well just use a SAT/ACT prep book for the other sections.

For the verbal  and word knowledge I have just been studying prefixes and using a GRE study guide (the link is one of the bogidope articles about the AFOQT), and for math just practice as many problems as you can from any standardized test prep book they all have similar underlying concepts you need to know.

3 minutes ago, Uptapplicant2019 said:

I had a 40 pilot AFOQT out of USAFA because I didn’t want to fly, bought the book attached and studied for 2 weeks and got a 97. Headed to upt in October 

183754A7-488B-4127-903C-268A5E3D322C.png

was the material reliable, I have had a few books that seem dates with a jumble of wrong answers? Did you supplement with anything else! (I.e., AFOQT study guide website)

Edited by UFTapplicant

9 minutes ago, UFTapplicant said:

was the material reliable, I have had a few books that seem dates with a jumble of wrong answers? Did you supplement with anything else! (I.e., AFOQT study guide website)

There were a couple questions where the answer was wrong in the back of the book but the number was very small, material matched what was on the test really well... that is the only study material I used 

I used three study guides. Barrons, Trivium, and Peterson's (ARCO) and went from a 67 to a 90 pilot score.

For the pilot section, make sure you understand what the question is asking. Be familiar with the *wrong* answers as well.

Edited by Ligma

I used Barrons and was 91 or above on each section. Pilot score of 97.

Maybe a silly question, but are you timing yourself when you take the practice tests? I find that to be hugely important. None of it is hard, but the timing and finishing all questions within the limit can be difficult.

So I’d definitely recommend using the time limits when you do the practice tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

47 minutes ago, N730 said:

I used Barrons and was 91 or above on each section. Pilot score of 97.

Maybe a silly question, but are you timing yourself when you take the practice tests? I find that to be hugely important. None of it is hard, but the timing and finishing all questions within the limit can be difficult.

So I’d definitely recommend using the time limits when you do the practice tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

So I have been timing myself. I am usually finishing ahead in everything except math and the table reading. The verbal and word I have been using GAMOOSH or whatever but that is all up to the word I get that day and being able to decipher the prefix or suffix.

so far I am getting most of the aviation, instrument and block reading right. I am also getting 17-18/25 right for the math and verbal stuff and I am using the Barron and trivium books.

Edited by UFTapplicant

I had a 40 pilot AFOQT out of USAFA because I didn’t want to fly, bought the book attached and studied for 2 weeks and got a 97. Headed to upt in October 
183754A7-488B-4127-903C-268A5E3D322C.thumb.png.e2108d43b53491f9440aade3792f338f.png

Did this book help you on other subjects as well besides the pilot section? I have this book and wasn’t sure if this was enough to study.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/18/2019 at 9:14 PM, tkownedu5 said:

Did this book help you on other subjects as well besides the pilot section? I have this book and wasn’t sure if this was enough to study.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I didn't study any of the other sections, so I can't answer to that.

• 2 months later...

Just a couple tidbits about the Trivium books:

The table-reading practice they have is not on the same scale as the actual AFOQT. The tables in the practice books are maybe 7x7 or 10x10, but the actual table is closer to 30x30 with smaller font and less space between numbers. It threw me for a bit of a loop because I was not accustomed to being that precise when scanning the table.

There were a couple questions in mine that straight-up had the wrong answer written in the answer key. If you find yourself tearing your hair out trying to figure out where you went wrong, chances are it's the book.

Everything else in the books is pretty awesome and reflective of the actual exam.

Nothing that hasn't been said already but I'll weigh in. I used this book: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1635301041/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and bought a couple others but ended up not using them. I'm going to parrot what Catman said and say that the table reading in all of the study guides is pretty worthless. AFOQTguides.com has the best one, but even given that: Make your own or use the one I attached here. Other than that and the instrument comprehension the book was pretty good on everything else. Instrument comprehension was easier (at least for me) on the test than it was in the books.

About a week out, maybe even more I'd stop studying and just start practicing. Run through the whole test one or two times then really hammer down on the areas you're not that great on. If you think you're good enough on table reading odds are you could use some more practice. It all comes down to time management. I thought I had it down but I guess not since I left 3 questions blank, having to stop as I was transitioning to fill the bubble. When you practice use a bubble sheet, since it's one thing to write an answer down or circle one, and another to fill in bubbles. They eat up time, especially on table reading. I did this and ended up with a 99/99/99/97/96.

Answer Bubbles.xlsx