Improving AFOQT scores

Kmike

I took the AFOQT last year and did really well in my Pilot (93) but sucked in every other category (44-Nav, 36-Academic, 28-Verbal and 47- quantitive). I studied for the test using some test prep books and the online practice questions but still managed to underestimate it and score poorly. The hardest part of the test for me was the first 3 sections (Verbal Analogies, Arithmetic Reasoning, and Word Knowledge) I can guarantee that these were the sections that destroyed my scores because everything else seemed relatively easy. The two verbal sections I screwed up on because of my lack of vocabulary and the time constraint. The Arithmetic Reasoning section I scored poorly primarily due to the time constraint. I was expecting a timer to be projected up on a wall to know exactly how much time you have left but instead all we got were random time call outs. I think I managed to get through half of the Arithmetic Reasoning problems due to this.

With all that said, what are some pro study/test taking tips that could help me improve my scores particularly in those areas? What are the best ways to tremendously improve my vocabulary for the test?

Id like to get everything in the 80s and 90s the next time I take it. I know I could do better but I’m currently not fast enough on the Arithmetic Reasoning and not knowledgeable enough on the vocab.

Edited by Kmike

I’m using the Vocabulary Builder by Magoosh app on my iPhone during my downtime to brush up on some vocabulary. I’m a big reader; therefore, I didn’t expect that vocabulary would be that challenging but I always forget that they love to put the most obscure words in the history of words on tests. Words like “eponym” and such, haha. Or perhaps I’m just dumb, never discount that, anyways, practice-practice, like the poster above suggested, seems like the best plan. 

@Kiloalpha: If I was looking at the right post, you seemed to use the same study materials as me when I first took it. So maybe I just need to study/practice harder and focus on conquering one section at a time. I’ll have to look at more GRE/SAT prep stuff too. What about ACT/ASVAB test prep stuff? Do you think they’d help as well?

@gatsby: I just downloaded that app and the barons GRE vocab last night too. I hope these will help. Please let us know if they help you when you take the test.

@Zoom22: I’m going for Grd/Res fighter units. From what I can tell they seem to be super competitive so I want to make sure my application looks great from all angles.

I have been around the guard going on 7-8 years. Your scores qualify you for UPT that's no problem. At this point since you want a guard slot, are you a good fit for the unit and is the unit a good fit for you is the limfac. Like I said, if you take it again and bust one of those scores there goes your shot. FWIW. 

I got hired ( Guard 16's ) one and done with almost identical scores to yours. Didn't get asked a single question about the scores in the interview. Seemed they cared more about flying experience and being an overall bro. 

@elvis: That’s encouraging. Which unit did you get picked up at if you don’t mind me asking? 

I looked at at one of your previous post and you had 300+ flying hours. I only have about 40 flight hours and no PPL. I’m working on getting one though. Besides your flying hours, what other areas helped you stand out to get an interview? Did you have any additional pilot ratings?

11 minutes ago, Kmike said:

@elvis: That’s encouraging. Which unit did you get picked up at if you don’t mind me asking? 

I looked at at one of your previous post and you had 300+ flying hours. I only have about 40 flight hours and no PPL. I’m working on getting one though. Besides your flying hours, what other areas helped you stand out to get an interview? Did you have any additional pilot ratings?

Tucson, I've been enlisted there since I was a freshman in college, so them knowing me probably helped a bit. I held off on anything past private since I'll get my instrument through UPT and I didn't want to start learning habits I'll have to forget a year or two later in UPT. Just from what I've read each board is different, but mine didn't want to hear robot answers. Mostly had to talk about flying experiences and how I overcame failures and things like that. Interview prep is huge, had a family friend that runs an interview prep business which helped tremendously. I've heard bogidope has a good interview prep. Just things to avoid saying/ how to phrase certain sentences. 

Edit: Depending how the interview is going, throw something in to make them laugh. 

Ex: What makes you the best candidate here? Well, I'm better looking than all the other applicants...then go on to the real answer. 

Edited by elvis