Apply First, Retake if Needed

alarge2

So as it stands right now after my first attempt I scored the following on the AFOQT:

P:89

N:38

AA:37

V:31

Q:47

I will be taking my TBAS (mid April) when I return home from my current deployment. A little background about myself, I am 2 classes away from finishing my aviation degree and am 23 years old. I have a 3.89 GPA as well as 255 flight hours and my ASEL Commercial Certificate along with an Instrument rating. I have not received a grade throughout college lower than a B. Outside of academics I play hockey at the school, am part of a fraternity, enjoy pretty much anything with friends but along with hockey I am big into fishing and golfing. I have accumulated tons of community service hours as well. Currently I am an E-5 in the ANG as an Electrical and Environmental Systems troop. 

The big debate in my mind is should I apply to Units (Both Guard and Reserve) and see if I can get a slot? Or immediately retake the AFOQT when I get the chance. To me I feel like I should apply now since I am still young and see what happens. If I do not get picked up by a unit, Ill retake the AFOQT. Any thoughts on this Idea? 

My logic says don’t immediately take the AFOQT till you know you can beef the scores up. No point in taking it again if you are just going to get the same results. Do you have a game plan to get the scores up?

No hurt in applying though, hiring can be a timing thing so you might get in the right unit at the right time and wow them at the interview and voila. Not like a unit is gonna see your scores and put you on the banned forever list, they will probably be impressed when you come back with higher scores, it shows dedication and commitment, and the ability to improve.

Really is no excuse for not applying to every unit at every possible opportunity, except laziness. 

Best of luck!

Edited by jonlbs

I am the same age / similar boat, just got picked up by a Reserve unit. Sounds like you need to get a timeline going: make an application and apply to the units you want (and try to figure out which you want the most / why. Its important both for you and when they ask you at the interview why you applied there). If these units have set deadlines for applications and you think you can make that but not the AFOQT prior, then apply. I think you can do better on the AFOQT considering your grades and flight experience, I spent about a month studying every resource out there and taking practice tests, did well despite no flight experience. Like jonlbs said there's no punishment for going to a board more than once and you might be surprised at how much they weigh who you are vs. your scores. Study hard for the interviews and feel free to PM me for advice man. Good luck

PS study for that TBAS too. Yes, there's ways you can prep for it.