Please Rate my Chances, Civilian, age waiver required

Metalhead731

Hi all,

I would like to apply for the various UPT slots this spring. I am 28 years old and civilian, turning 29 in March which is prior to many of the upcoming boards. My only military experience is a semester of AFROTC as a freshman in college 10 years ago. I did sit for the AFOQT during that time though and I was able to find my score. I'm currently working as a structural engineer. I have a master's degree and good GPA's. Hoping to apply for a fighter slot. I'd like to try until I hit 30 and then apply for heavies. I would appreciate any feedback on my info below. Also, I had a question about the AFOQT scores. Will the boards care that I took them in 2009 and didn't retake them again this year? I think my scores are pretty good and I'm a little worried about the risk of them dropping since the most recent one counts.

Regarding flight time, I used to be an aviation major my freshman year (hence, the AFROTC). I had about 66hrs logged and was about to get signoff on cross country solo but the semester ended and I had to go back home. Due to financial reasons (2008 recession), I transferred to an in-state school and majored in engineering. I plan on starting again soon (flight scheduled for this weekend) and will try to wrap up a PPL ASAP, but I do not have one yet, although I have soloed.

AFOQT Scores:

Pilot: 98

Nav: 85

Acad: 93

Verbal: 81

Quant: 98

Should I retake given they are 10 years old?

PCSM: 97 with 68 hours

98 with 81-100 hours

99 with 101-200 hours

99 with 201+ hours.

Flight time: 66hrs (w/solo, no PPL, 10 years ago)

GPA's: BS Undergrad 3.51 / MS Grad 3.10, Majored in Civil Engineering

LORS:

1. CEO of the company I work for (Professional)

2. My direct supervisor (Professional)

3. Co-worker and climbing friend. I figured he can write about my personality and dependability as I've had his life literally hanging in my hands before. 

Thanks in advance for feedback!

Edited by Metalhead731
Added PCSM Scores

I've only applied to one place and been to one interview so take this for what it's worth but i took the AFOQT in 2009 when i was in ROTC and nobody said anything. My scores were worse and i planned to retake it but i got hired before i got around to it. 

My opinion from the outside looking in is at your age (which is a couple months older than me) is it's too late to be too picky. If i were you i would apply everywhere you want to fly and try your best to get hired, fighters and heavies. After you get hired you will at least have a seat to training and then you can keep interviewing at fighter squadrons till you leave for training. I just don't think your scores and credentials are good enough for fighters or bust at your age. That being said I'm getting ready to send an application to a fighter squadron so i must still think there is hope...

Just my opinion based on research. Hopefully someone will come in and tell me I'm wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:52 AM, DifferentViper said:

After you get hired you will at least have a seat to training and then you can keep interviewing at fighter squadrons till you leave for training

How does this work if you get selected by a squadron, then let's say a few months later interview with a more appealing squadron and get selected?  Are you able to rescind your selection from the first squadron?

An update on my original post. I took my TBAS on Monday and got my scores back today:
PCSM: 97 with 68 hours
98 with 81-100 hours
99 with 101-200 hours
99 with 201+ hours. 
Hopefully, that's competitive enough despite my age. 

Awesome job man! As for fighters, it’ll just be up to the unit. Some are more than willing to do an age waiver for the right guy and some won’t even interview. Just make sure your cover letter is good, and addressed to the right unit. If you want fighters, keep applying and you could get picked up. It might take a little bit of time, but it’s definitely possible. Just make sure that if you get an interview, you do all you can and knock it out of the park.

If your are open to any airframe, I wouldn’t be surprised if you were picked up by a heavy unit within a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

10 hours ago, N730 said:

Awesome job man! As for fighters, it’ll just be up to the unit. Some are more than willing to do an age waiver for the right guy and some won’t even interview. Just make sure your cover letter is good, and addressed to the right unit. If you want fighters, keep applying and you could get picked up. It might take a little bit of time, but it’s definitely possible. Just make sure that if you get an interview, you do all you can and knock it out of the park.

If your are open to any airframe, I wouldn’t be surprised if you were picked up by a heavy unit within a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I’ve been hearing recently that the age limit increased to 33. Is it true?

I am in a similar situation with the older AFOQT scores, and for the handful of units I've applied to, my old scores have never been an issue. In fact, I also racked up the bulk of my flight hours from 10 years ago. I picked up a first class medical, and got in the airplane again for a few flights last year to show the various units I was serious about flying again. It has worked well for me.

You are no doubt highly competitive on paper with the scores, Engineering background, and flight hours. Best of luck to you. 

On 2/28/2019 at 3:19 PM, Iceborn said:

I am in a similar situation with the older AFOQT scores, and for the handful of units I've applied to, my old scores have never been an issue. In fact, I also racked up the bulk of my flight hours from 10 years ago. I picked up a first class medical, and got in the airplane again for a few flights last year to show the various units I was serious about flying again. It has worked well for me.

You are no doubt highly competitive on paper with the scores, Engineering background, and flight hours. Best of luck to you. 

Thanks, Iceborn! What kind of unit picked you up, heavy or fighter? 

I am currently sitting as an alternate for my local heavy unit. And given the recent age bump, I may just reapply to them next time around in the hopes of getting picked up then. Also actively considering retaking the AFOQT to raise scores, as that is my weakest point, and more flight hours or another rating is financially out of the equation. Not that the unit ever hinted that more hours was the key to getting picked up. They seemed very contempt with a PPL even if it was earned almost 9 years ago by now.