What Are My Chances? - Current Enlisted

NattyBo

Hello!

I just wanted to get some feedback on where I stand currently and anything I can do to help. I’m currently a SrA with a little over 3 years TIS, I’m days away from PCSing to Europe. My plan is to start applying for ANG Units my last year over there and hopefully come back stateside for a month or so to come to some drill weekends/hopefully interviews. I’m not sure if this is feasible or not but that’s the plan for now. Also, the goal is fighters.

Stats: 

SrA 1A8X1 w/ 3 years TIS

A couple of minor awards (AETC Commander’s Award, etc.)

AA in Arabic from DLI w/ 3.5, Dean’s List every semester 

BA in Arabic Language and Culture w/ 3.66 Cumulative

Right now I’ve only got 13 flight hours, but I’m in contact with a couple RAF Aero Clubs, so I’ll be obtaining my EASA PPL, which can be converted to an FAA license. I’m planning on getting my instrument rating as well. 

AFOQT: P 98 / N 98 / AA 95 / V 98 / Q 82

I haven’t taken the TBAS yet. 

22 years old

Really I guess I’m just looking for things to do other than flight hours, and also other general feedback. 

Thanks so much!

Edited by NattyBo

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any idea whether or not it is feasible to start applying around 1.5 years before I leave AD? Even if I can’t go to open houses or any of the rushing events (I know some squadrons don’t do these), if offered an interview I could definitely fly back to the States. If I got hired say a year out, does the timeline approximately line up so that I could transition right into ANG?

To answer your second question, I'm a 1Lt engineer and started applying with just under two years left on my commitment. After two interviews I was offered a position with 1.5 years left active duty. I'm now trying to Palace Chase to get out early, but my unit doesn't mind if I stay active to finish my commitment. 

My advice: apply as soon as you can. Some units won't be interested because of your commitment - others won't care. Get that TBAS done, work those flight hours, sexify (it's a word) that cover letter and resume and you'll be in good shape.

• Upvote 1

I am not experienced enough to tell you whether or not you should start interviewing that early, but you could definitely start dialogue with these bases. Maybe send the application in and, if they offer you an interview, tell them about your commitment and explain that you would like to rush the following cycle. That way, when you do your interview for real, they know that flying with their base has been a long-term plan.

6 hours ago, Fly For a 62E said:

To answer your second question, I'm a 1Lt engineer and started applying with just under two years left on my commitment. After two interviews I was offered a position with 1.5 years left active duty. I'm now trying to Palace Chase to get out early, but my unit doesn't mind if I stay active to finish my commitment. 

My advice: apply as soon as you can. Some units won't be interested because of your commitment - others won't care. Get that TBAS done, work those flight hours, sexify (it's a word) that cover letter and resume and you'll be in good shape.

Thanks so much for sharing this, it’s exactly what I was looking for. Like the use of the long forgotten word sexify. 

5 hours ago, Catman said:

I am not experienced enough to tell you whether or not you should start interviewing that early, but you could definitely start dialogue with these bases. Maybe send the application in and, if they offer you an interview, tell them about your commitment and explain that you would like to rush the following cycle. That way, when you do your interview for real, they know that flying with their base has been a long-term plan.

Also a good idea, thank you for the advice. 

your numbers look good. Its never too early to contact chief pilots around to start the dialogue. I remember rushing a few units way before I was able to get a packet put together to submit. At UTAs visiting the unit I would get chat not just the pilots but crewdawgs and maintainers. Get their contact info and be sure to always follow up with them if you can. The guys will remember. 

Keep getting more flight time. Don't worry so much about the instrument rating. Its good to have but flight hours (total time) will count more towards your PCSM score. Good luck

Cheers 

8 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

your numbers look good. Its never too early to contact chief pilots around to start the dialogue. I remember rushing a few units way before I was able to get a packet put together to submit. At UTAs visiting the unit I would get chat not just the pilots but crewdawgs and maintainers. Get their contact info and be sure to always follow up with them if you can. The guys will remember. 

Keep getting more flight time. Don't worry so much about the instrument rating. Its good to have but flight hours (total time) will count more towards your PCSM score. Good luck

Cheers 

Hey thanks for the advice. Unfortunately for now I won’t be able to do the traditional rushing as I’m stationed in the UK, but I’ll at least apply to get my name out there. Kind of unsure how else to get my name out there other than just shooting applications which is kind of unfortunate. 

You could try calling the hiring POC or if there isn't one listed the Ops desk and seeing if they'll put you in touch with someone. Odds are good it'll be someone fairly junior at the unit but it would at least let you start getting your name out there. This has worked 1 for 2 on units I've tried so YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...

Just took my TBAS and got my PCSM. Turns out I only had 10 hours (not sure how I counted that wrong) and with my 98 Pilot I ended up with an 85 PCSM, getting up to 96 at 41 hours, 98 at 61 hours, and 99 at 81 hours. This gives me a pretty good shot, right?

3 minutes ago, NattyBo said:

Just took my TBAS and got my PCSM. Turns out I only had 10 hours (not sure how I counted that wrong) and with my 98 Pilot I ended up with an 85 PCSM, getting up to 96 at 41 hours, 98 at 61 hours, and 99 at 81 hours. This gives me a pretty good shot, right?

Your scores look awesome. Your 201+ numbers will make you pretty competitive. Good luck