AFROTC VS Marine PLC Aviation Contract

robspenc

I would like to be a pilot in the military. I will be starting at a university in a few months and I am trying to weigh my options. I am quite interested in AFROTC, but, I don't like the uncertainty of getting a pilot slot. A few weeks ago I found out about the Guaranteed pilot slot through USMC PLC. Which of these paths would you guys advise? Additionally, I am not too concerned about the airframe. I'd love to get a fighter, however, i'd be happy flying any manned aircraft of each of the branches.

Thanks

If you put an appropriate amount of effort in during ROTC/school, you'll likely get a pilot slot.  That's not to say good dudes who should have received a pilot slot haven't been surprised with a nav slot (luck and timing), but I think those are a minority.  Nothing in life is a guarantee, including the Marine PLC program.  Go with the branch/mission you think you'd like the most, work hard in ROTC/college and it'll probably work out, especially with such a pilot shortage that'll likely continue for several years.

As someone that was previously in the PLC program, I can tell you that getting an air slot is incredibly easy. You take the Navy/USMC version of the TBAS, and if you score high enough, you're slotted as "air." The hard part becomes getting the actual board, but it's no harder than qualifying for AFROTC -- good gpa, lots of PT, etc. I'm not a military member, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I know from hanging around these forums that the USMC does not use the same drop night logic that the AF does. Sometimes there's a plethora of fighters, sometimes there's none. Maybe evaluate how okay you are with fixed wing? 

For what its worth, nowadays at least, AF pilot slots are given to almost anyone who wants one from ROTC. I have a feeling we'll be shocked by the #'s next week when rated pref's come out. Doesn't mean it'll be the same when you go through though

Edited by ayz33

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2019 at 3:17 PM, ayz33 said:

For what its worth, nowadays at least, AF pilot slots are given to almost anyone who wants one from ROTC. I have a feeling we'll be shocked by the #'s next week when rated pref's come out. Doesn't mean it'll be the same when you go through though

Its almost comical how low some of the scores were for the cadets that got pilot slots last year. One of my peers said his pcsm was in the 30s with zero flight hours and still got one (great dude though, high CC rank).

Edited by Sketch

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Its almost comical how low some of the scores were for the cadets that got pilot slots last year. One of my peers said his pcsm was in the 30s with zero flight hours and still got one (great dude though, high CC rank).

We've got cadets in the bottom of our class and with sub 30 pcsm, barely passing the pt test, and bad afoqt scores/ft ranking still getting them..i'm sure they'll get weeded out at UPT. Not sure how I feel about that though..stuffing the pipeline with lower quality/potential dudes. I'm hoping they get it together before then! What bothers me most is the people saying "eh..i'll go for pilot i guess" and they get lucky in times like this. /rant

Edited by ayz33

We've got cadets in the bottom of our class and with sub 30 pcsm, barely passing the pt test, and bad afoqt scores/ft ranking still getting them..i'm sure they'll get weeded out at UPT.

You are obviously overestimating how much “weeding out” goes on at UPT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ayz33 said:

We've got cadets in the bottom of our class and with sub 30 pcsm, barely passing the pt test, and bad afoqt scores/ft ranking still getting them..i'm sure they'll get weeded out at UPT. Not sure how I feel about that though..stuffing the pipeline with lower quality/potential dudes. I'm hoping they get it together before then! What bothers me most is the people saying "eh..i'll go for pilot i guess" and they get lucky in times like this. /rant

And sometimes those dudes hit the real Air Force and perform like rock stars, I’ve seen it, a lot.  

• Like 1

I had a buddy that couldn't pass the AFOQT, now hes flying fighters after doing PLC.

Keep in mind the difference in how the Marines use their officers compared to the Air Force.  They are all Infantrymen first.

I think a lot of it boils down to attitude & what the individuals want out of their careers. I've met numerous cadets whom wanted to fly C-17s (mostly because of the lifestyle), some got solid pcsm scores and were bumped to ENJJPT, one in particular now flying hawgs, others barely scraped by and got bumped to pilot from RPA/CSO at the last minute. My point is, just because pilot slots are incredibly easy to get today doesn't mean you should take a chance on bad scores, do the work and get as high a pcsm as you can possibly get so you don't have to gamble and your slot is all but assured.

On 3/15/2019 at 5:54 PM, ihtfp06 said:

You are obviously overestimating how much “weeding out” goes on at UPT.

I can confirm. Wouldn’t trust some people with wings as SIC in a 172.

on the other hand, some people are shit at taking tests but end up having the hands and attitude.

Even when I went through UPT in ‘07, it wasn’t a high-attrition course. Out of the original 20 some, one self-eliminated (he was easily in the top half of our t-6 class, just realized it wasn’t for him), and two couldn’t get over airsickness. From talking to friends who are UPT instructors, it’s gotten a lot easier in recent years as the Air Force can’t afford to under-produce during a pilot shortage.

Don’t know if I agree in the current climate. I’ve seen more CRs in this he last four months than in the 3 years previous. We have been told to produce a certain number but are scheduled to pushed a 10% higher number.
From leadership, attrition is expected and supported.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:35 PM, Orbit said:

Keep in mind the difference in how the Marines use their officers compared to the Air Force.  They are all Infantrymen first.

This. It's a completely different world from what I've heard. You're not exactly the tip of the spear for the Marines, if you're flying for them. If your ultimate goal is flying and being the mission, AF ROTC would be a good shot with the amount of slots they're giving out now.