Reserve 135’s Shifting to 4 Month Taskings?!?!?!

Paragraph 1....YES! They're finally getting it!
Paragraph 2....blacked out for second.
 3a....WTF!?!?!  LONGER deployments?!?!
3d....So I get to pick between the blue pill or red pill, but the blue pill means losing dwell protections...
FlipTable.thumb.jpg.232caaff99ef2dd8908b042cf9ee9567.jpg

There’s some good in this. Things we should have done awhile ago.

The poison pill is no dwell protection for swap outs. They will be the first called up for the next ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Cheddar said:

There’s some good in this. Things we should have done awhile ago.

The poison pill is no dwell protection for swap outs. They will be the first called up for the next ones.

In all fairness I do see the good you're talking about, but losing dwell protections is a kick in the nuts.  It's kinda like what we have in the Guard where we have to pick between 12301d (vol) vs 12304b (invol) for our deployments.  Invol gets you USERRA exemption and dwell protection but no early retirement credit.  Vol gets you USERRA protection (not exemption) and no dwell protection but doest get you early retirement credit.  You say, contingency orders get you USERRA exemption, and you'd be correct.  BUT, when they keep sending us to NON-contingency TSPs (my last two "deployments), you do not get that exemption unless you choose to go voluntary.  Supposedly this is supposed to be fixed, but the checks been in the mail for over 3 years now.

• Like 1

In all fairness I do see the good you're talking about, but losing dwell protections is a kick in the nuts.  It's kinda like what we have in the Guard where we have to pick between 12301d (vol) vs 12304b (invol) for our deployments.  Invol gets you USERRA exemption and dwell protection but no early retirement credit.  Vol gets you USERRA protection (not exemption) and no dwell protection but doest get you early retirement credit.  You say, contingency orders get you USERRA exemption, and you'd be correct.  BUT, when they keep sending us to NON-contingency TSPs (my last two "deployments), you do not get that exemption unless you choose to go voluntary.  Supposedly this is supposed to be fixed, but the checks been in the mail for over 3 years now.

Exactly! The devil’s definitely in the non-existent details. I can’t see them approaching this any differently, or spending one dime more than they have to.

Again, it’s (swapping) in there as a placating measure, but there’s ZERO benefit to doing it even if the squadron has the people (which they won’t).

And how as a CC do you distinguish who gets to swap and who doesn’t?

Eyewash only my friends.

I just can't reconcile how that language is being proffered in 2019.  The turnover rate is gonna go to 11. The entire premise of even entertaining the Strategic Reserve model was predicated on enough baked-in experience not to worry about the chilling effect a "greening demographic" would have on spin ups. Under this paradigm, the Reserves become driven by R-ATP applicants only (aka don't have a better option at the moment), and if they don't mort themselves in training and/or drive the class-A rates to Pluto, they get to pass GO, collect $200, mainline number and at year 2 they punch from the mil cold turkey. The ART cadre gets burnt out, tightens the spiral. UFB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cheddar said:

Again, it’s (swapping) in there as a placating measure, but there’s ZERO benefit to doing it even if the squadron has the people (which they won’t).

I know you know this, but there is absolutely a benefit of attempting to salvage some morale for those allowed to swap.  I know we're talking AFRC vs ANG (as well as tankers vs fighters), but we were given more swaps than we needed on our recent deployment.  We also pressed to test on taking the absolute min number of pilots required...surprisingly they approved our plan.

3 hours ago, Cheddar said:

And how as a CC do you distinguish who gets to swap and who doesn’t?

Oh man, the bigger issue we've run into was deciding who has to go and who gets to stay home, especially since we have a home station alert tasking.  For a minute I felt like I was watching a group of high school girls fight because Karen kissed Johnny (who is dating Susie) under the bleachers after the football game.  

How I would handle it is to allow anyone who wants full time to do that.  Everyone else gets a swap...if guys turn into teenage girls bickering over first/last half, do damn lottery.  Anyone who doesn't go this time is on the next one, no questions asked.  There really is no other way to do it without dealing with petty bullshit.  This is predicated on the idea that local leadership is willing push it up the chain that they must have as many swaps as needed.  It needs to be conveyed that the swaps are a small price to pay to keep valuable experience and avoid being unable to fulfill future taskings due to lack of pilots.

We all love to bitch, but until more guys start voting with their feet, nothing will change.  To many guys love the uncle sugar MLOA trump card to massage their schedules and get holidays/weekends off.  That alone will keep many in, at least until they hold holidays/weekends off and/or they have enough numbers below them on the list.  

I’m confused by the 180 day rotational period for C-5/C-17s. The reserve units don’t do flying deployments, is this referring to non-flying deployments?

It’s a possibility.... (AFRC) Recommend y’all start asking about staff tours. When, where, how long? Can we split? Etc...

So I read this memo...and it says:

The rotations a unit are responsible for are 120 days and commanders can split them up. If you get told to deploy...you get dwell protection. If you volunteer to deploy you don’t get dwell. Seems to be not a big change...since you already don’t get dwell for volunteering.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

13 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

The rotations a unit are responsible for are 120 days and commanders can split them up. If you get told to deploy...you get dwell protection. If you volunteer to deploy you don’t get dwell. Seems to be not a big change...since you already don’t get dwell for volunteering.

"Volunteering."  In our case, we get told the squadron is being mob'd, so in theory the entire squadron could be told your going (or backfilling our alert det while the squadron is gone).  We then "get" to pick our flavor (vol vs invol) of being mob'd...which is akin to asking if we'd like a reach around while we're being bent over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matmacwc said:

If you really want to be difficult ask for the in-vol order, betcha in the end they wouldn’t write it, but you’ll get all sorts of interesting people wanting to talk to you.  

I like talking to interesting people.  

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Cheddar said:

Looks like the revolt (and numerous retirement papers and 1288) has raised some eyebrows. Word is that Reserve KC135’s will continue with 60 day deployments (for now).

Further proof that leaderships take on this issue is that it's not a problem, until it's a problem.  

Things are starting to get even more interesting in the ANG as well.  Rumors we just got handed a shit ton of 6 month individual mobs for MX supervisors.  Given that these are set to take place as we are spinning up to deploy, what could possibly go wrong?

Tanker demand isn’t falling, one or a combination of the following will happen.

1. Demand in AOR is curtailed and managed correctly.
2. The way we deploy changes. (ie another of the 3 picks up the slack)
3. Contract AR will explode.

Tanker demand isn’t falling, one or a combination of the following will happen.

1. Demand in AOR is curtailed and managed correctly.
2. The way we deploy changes. (ie another of the 3 picks up the slack)
3. Contract AR will explode.

Agree on all points. Number 3 needs to happen - but as an old Omega bubba they just can’t compete with the Airlines and the demand is too much- on all fronts.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to 120

No one is 100% what’s going on with 120 policy at this point. They’re not off the table with Scobee policy letter just on pause. I suspect that the mass exodus from Grissom and March? gave pause to the policy.

I do know that there is a last minute conference in Atlanta next week and AFRC 135 unit members were asked to attend.

My question.... Currently there’s nothing in writing that exists contrary to 120 policy. If the deployment policy has already “changed back” after 4AF input, how is this going to be any different? What’s to stop them just changing it again?

7 hours ago, kapilot said:

I do know that there is a last minute conference in Atlanta next week and AFRC 135 unit members were asked to attend. 

So they're going to pay you to hang out in Atlanta, have beers with your DL-internal-rec bros, and hear about how much greener the grass is? Someone didn't think this through.

So they're going to pay you to hang out in Atlanta, have beers with your DL-internal-rec bros, and hear about how much greener the grass is? Someone didn't think this through.

Was it you?

Wrong on all accounts. I’m not going, I avoid Atlanta, I have no “bros” at Robbins, and keep my opinion of civilian flying to myself unless asked while sipping whiskey.

Nice try though.

Nunya makes a funny joke and you go offensive...WTFO?

I’d be offended too if someone accused me of wanting to hang out at Robbins, especially with Delta pilots...

All I hear about is their amazing upgrades and ps, but it’s amazing how quick that money talk disappears when the bill is due. Those guys never, ever pick up the tab.

Now the old NWAs - all night long baby!

Cause the boyz n tha hood are always hard
You come talking that trash we'll pull your card
Knowing nothing in life but to be legit
Don't quote me boy, cause I ain't saying shit

Omg that just made my morning!