Reserve 135’s Shifting to 4 Month Taskings?!?!?!

On 2/23/2019 at 2:10 PM, pilot said:

I assume you’re a viper dude. What’s your forecast for ANG/AFRC viper deployment ops tempo over the next 3-6-9 years? (sorry for the continued thread drift). 

Not to sound too subversive, but I think a lot of it is going to depend on if the powers that be get their cake and get to eat it too. For higher fidelity info, stop by your friendly intel shop to ask more pointed questions and I’m sure you’ll come to the conclusion I have, 🤷‍♂️.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/45605173

YGTBFSM. I have served in some form for over half of my life. I’m a fourth generation (maybe even more) ‘soldier.’

We do what we do because it’s in our nature, and we are who we are. But always remember, ultimately: They. Don’t. Care. About. You.

I know it’s thread drift, but it goes to the larger overall issue in the Air Force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/45605173

YGTBFSM. I have served in some form for over half of my life. I’m a fourth generation (maybe even more) ‘soldier.’

We do what we do because it’s in our nature, and we are who we are. But always remember, ultimately: They. Don’t. Care. About. You.

I know it’s thread drift, but it goes to the larger overall issue in the Air Force.

This was from over 7 years ago. Took you this long to be outraged?

Mids pls delete all garbage not concerning the KC-135 120-day deployments. This is still developing, and there will be updated to talk about once the final message drops. Everybody else, make a new thread. GTFO here

Ummmmmmm, ok. It’s official policy per the NAF, acknowledged by our Wing and OG/CC’s. How they implement it? That’s a good question.

31 minutes ago, ImNotARobot said:

Mids pls delete all garbage not concerning the KC-135 120-day deployments. This is still developing, and there will be updated to talk about once the final message drops. Everybody else, make a new thread. GTFO here

who made you mod homey? Lady indeed doth protest too much. I smell management sycophant.

We (AFRC 135’s) are going to 120’s in country, 5 months total orders. NAF confirmation, Wing, OG, etc.

This is a huge issue to those of us that have fought for decades to keep the reserves as good as they can be.

The OP started the thread IMNSHO to get the word out as anyone considering what used to be a good gig in the early 00’s is now maybe not such a good deal.

But seriously- who the eff are you to tell people to ‘GTFO’ a forum because we are bringing attention to an idiotic policy that will be catastrophic to squadrons that we love?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, ImNotARobot said:

No justification needed. If this forum turns into a free-for-all like APC, I’ll be gone forever tonight. For now it still provides some useful information in between sport b!tching by maintaining a usefully organized & searchable narrative.

It’s not rocket surgery.

Bye Felicia

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We (AFRC 135’s) are going to 120’s in country, 5 months total orders. NAF confirmation, Wing, OG, etc.

This is a huge issue to those of us that have fought for decades to keep the reserves as good as they can be.

The OP started the thread IMNSHO to get the word out as anyone considering what used to be a good gig in the early 00’s is now maybe not such a good deal.

But seriously- who the eff are you to tell people to ‘GTFO’ a forum because we are bringing attention to an idiotic policy that will be catastrophic to squadrons that we love?

Woooosawwwww. You’re over analyzing.

The thread went off on a tangent not applicable to 135 reservists. This thread will be referenced by tons of AD folks jumping ship. You, at some point in time, probably scoured these forums for valueable insight and probably cared about ops tempo.

Simply put the forum needs redirection and he asked the mods to make it happen.

You, at some point in time, probably scoured these forums for valueable insight and probably cared about ops tempo.

Ummmmmmm, no. My buddy started the thread. The only valuable insight I’ve ever scoured on this forum was the movie thread (death of Stalin was fantastic btw), and I think that’s the only thread I’ve ever read on here besides this...Maybe? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - it’s not the forum’s fault, I just like other subjects!

Anyway, thanks for ‘over analyzing.’

LtG Scobee MFR released. More details, but 120s for tankers have arrived.

Local leadership should be distributing it, I don’t have a copy yet to post.

Although I thought the Felicia comment was pretty funny...

Was told this UTA weekend would have more clarity by my OG - and I guess this is it. Haven’t read the MFR, but I will be stuck discussing it among the masses. I am truly sorry for the TOADs stuck with this mess, especially those brothers and sisters in my beloved squadron. A lot of us tried, fought against the machine and did everything we could save for mutiny. We gave them plenty of good options, and they didn’t choose any.

It was a good ride, but the reserves of my youth are gone. We took count last UTA and estimated that 80% of our TRs will be gone in 2 years (some immediately and others as their dwell expires from this years turn in the meat grinder).

For those considering continued life in the 135 reserves, it wasn’t a bad deal and the squadron level folks were amazing. But 4 months away from your loved ones and 5 months lost income is going to be catastrophic to most TRs.

In my case, I will lose AT LEAST $35,800, and that’s nothing compared to not being around the family. Many of our jr TR’s already have good airline jobs and are contemplating IMAs, or flat out separating.

Our ARTs are the hardest hit. The security they traded for just vanished. We have a few that will retire early, and others that just put their apps in. I only know of two of the younger ones that have indicated any desire to stay in. TWO.

In a squadron that was 100% manned on both ART/TR’s, AFRC has in one “hold my beer” decision decimated us. Where do we find such men...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cheddar said:

Our ARTs are the hardest hit. The security they traded for just vanished. 

For someone still in training, can you explain this? How do the longer deployments affect their job security as ARTs? Also, aren’t you guys shifting to AGRs?

9 hours ago, ImNotARobot said:

LtG Scobee MFR released. More details, but 120s for tankers have arrived.

Local leadership should be distributing it, I don’t have a copy yet to post.

Welcome back.  Good to see that you have now found the same source everyone else was talking about earlier.

For someone still in training, can you explain this? How do the longer deployments affect their job security as ARTs? Also, aren’t you guys shifting to AGRs?

Not job security - the security of being home every night with no real disruption.

Thanks for your input. The MFR was in draft until yesterday, with changes prior to official signature and release.

I personally appreciate the updates regarding the MFR. Let’s hope the changes between last month and final copy include the ability to split/share 120. Fingers crossed.

For those of you in UPT, this is not going to be the paradigm shift it is for crusty old reservists like me and many others posting here. It will be your normal. At 1:5 dwell, this will ensure 25 months between deployments, from the 15 months we have now. You will likely go with larger groups (the good old days) and maybe with good DETCOs have a fighting chance against the lunacy of today’s modern deployed Air Force management.

But here’s the downside:

In a good, well staffed squadron most people only deployed once every 30-36 months for 2 months. It sucked, but it was a manageable suck. Now you have several factors against this cycle (5 months every 4.5 years) going forward - KC46 conversions and C status from other AFRC 135 squadrons
- pilot shortfalls already creeping in before this decision
- reduced squadron manning
- ability to go to a 1:4 dwell on individual mob

With all these factors, and other unforeseen circumstances yet to play out, individuals will be deploying 5 months roughly every two years.

My ultimate fear is that when faced with the manning crisis, our ‘top (wo)men’ at AFRC will only double down on their idiocracy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cheddar said:

Our ARTs are the hardest hit. The security they traded for just vanished. We have a few that will retire early, and others that just put their apps in. I only know of two of the younger ones that have indicated any desire to stay in. TWO.

Werd. That  ^^^^ part will certainly be an interesting dynamic. That historical house slave trade they had with the ARTs was always predicated on letting those pigeons stay grounded and close to the house. Nobody gives themselves that much of a retirement and FAE paycut unless homesteading is the end all be all.  Now you de facto invol mob them by virtue of lack of TR manning and yeah, you're about to see some reaaaallly penny wise pounds foolish outcomes on the day to day management front. I've already seen some ART lifer folks (lost decade types) who swore up and down they'd never utter the dreaded A word ever again in their lives, and they're already ballin' it up at big D et al.  AFRC has absolutely gone tone deaf.

And as I've mentioned before, we have TRs without 20 year letters leaving service with 10+ years of AD points on the table, cold turkey. It's complete willy wonka factory up in here. The whole place has jumped the shark lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1