Permanent vs Normal(?) Medical DQs

AlexLM12

Hello,

I was disqualified during my Class I Flight Screening after selection, and I'm currently applying for a Class III now to try and be an ABM. I understand that some conditions are permanently disqualifying from rated positions, but I have no idea if mine is (esophoria). Any idea where I can find out if I can even apply again? I've tried calling AFPC/AETC, and the base that performed the physical, but I haven't gotten much apart from the issue that DQ'd me the first time. If anyone has any info, thank you!

So the short answer is it is a very convoluted and opinionated process. I know this because was DQ’d and separated.

The Medical Standards Directory (MSD) is the quick view version of what conditions are eligible for what class of physical. However, it’s a very guarded product that exists in the medical world with the older versions occasionally popping up on google.

Between the MSD and AFI48-123, the opinion (and language) of the doctor submitting the waiver paperwork will make or break your waiver package or separation package.

In my experience if you can get a waiver for the class you need you can apply again for a job with that flight class of physical. i.e. if you can work a class3 physical with said waiver for your condition yes you are medically qualified and can apply again.

CAUTION: many of the conditions that DQ you from flying class physicals also DQ you from serving all together. In the MSD there is a column that identifies what conditions are or aren’t fit for retention. So just because you have a waiver for condition X it does not mean you are home free. If you run into the wrong doctor they could in their opinion say you don’t meet retention standards according to the MSD and could end up being separated. Retention cases trump flying class physicals qualifications. My condition did not meet retetion standards so when I asked my PCM and team to start a waiver I was straight up told no, it’d be unecessary work for a waiver for nothing as you still would not meet retention standards even if you meet FCI standards.

Edited by IMUA
RTR

17 hours ago, AlexLM12 said:

Hello,

I was disqualified during my Class I Flight Screening after selection, and I'm currently applying for a Class III now to try and be an ABM. I understand that some conditions are permanently disqualifying from rated positions, but I have no idea if mine is (esophoria). Any idea where I can find out if I can even apply again? I've tried calling AFPC/AETC, and the base that performed the physical, but I haven't gotten much apart from the issue that DQ'd me the first time. If anyone has any info, thank you!

Phoria standards are different for IFC I than for ABM applicants because ABM's do not have scanning duties.  That refers to clearing the aircraft of other aircraft or objects whether in the air or ground.  There is a phoria standard for ABM applicants, but it is more lenient than IFC I.  PM me if you want more specific information.  I'm assuming your IFC I was not done at Wright-Patt.

17 hours ago, IMUA said:

So the short answer is it is a very convoluted and opinionated process. I know this because was DQ’d and separated.

The Medical Standards Directory (MSD) is the quick view version of what conditions are eligible for what class of physical. However, it’s a very guarded product that exists in the medical world with the older versions occasionally popping up on google.

Between the MSD and AFI48-123, the opinion (and language) of the doctor submitting the waiver paperwork will make or break your waiver package or separation package.

In my experience if you can get a waiver for the class you need you can apply again for a job with that flight class of physical. i.e. if you can work a class3 physical with said waiver for your condition yes you are medically qualified and can apply again.

CAUTION: many of the conditions that DQ you from flying class physicals also DQ you from serving all together. In the MSD there is a column that identifies what conditions are or aren’t fit for retention. So just because you have a waiver for condition X it does not mean you are home free. If you run into the wrong doctor they could in their opinion say you don’t meet retention standards according to the MSD and could end up being separated. Retention cases trump flying class physicals qualifications. My condition did not meet retetion standards so when I asked my PCM and team to start a waiver I was straight up told no, it’d be unecessary work for a waiver for nothing as you still would not meet retention standards even if you meet FCI standards.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I really appreciate you passing along that info. I will look into the MSD, and the fact that I can apply again gives me hope for a different rated position. I am currently a non-rated officer, so I meet retention standards, but not sure if I can pass a FC yet. The opinion/language piece could certainly be frustrating. I hope all is going well for you in whatever you are doing now

4 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

Phoria standards are different for IFC I than for ABM applicants because ABM's do not have scanning duties.  That refers to clearing the aircraft of other aircraft or objects whether in the air or ground.  There is a phoria standard for ABM applicants, but it is more lenient than IFC I.  PM me if you want more specific information.  I'm assuming your IFC I was not done at Wright-Patt.

Thank you, I sent you a PM