UPT Next

norskman

3 hours ago, pawnman said:

And what powers the prop...?

https://www.prattwhitney.com/en/products/general-aviation-engines/pt6a

https://monroeaerospace.com/blog/jet-engines-vs-turboprops-whats-the-difference/#:~:text=As the exhaust gases are,propulsion by powering a propeller.

Edited by Swizzle
https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/aturbp.html

On 8/4/2023 at 2:17 AM, Pooter said:

@Danger41 
Not to split hairs here but the t-6 is a jet. Quite literally. It has a jet engine in it that has no mechanical linkage to the prop, and it even has exhaust stacks that make a small but non-zero amount of thrust. 

So stop being afraid of your douche canoe enjjpt IP and tell him to open the dash 1, learn his systems, and maybe just eat a whole dick. 

By your logic nuclear submarines and M1 Abrams tanks are "jets". Turbine-powered does not equal jet.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, SocialD said:

I prefer to answer with callsign, then continue my conversation because I have them on TCAS, they're level, 1k above us, and clearly not a factor.  

If you can end the conversation with a strongly voiced “at this time”…absolute perfection. 

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2023 at 8:57 AM, pawnman said:

And what powers the prop...?

🎩 Magic!

On 8/4/2023 at 11:56 AM, Danger41 said:

Obviously the turbo.

Thats a good checkride answer!!!! Lol

On 8/5/2023 at 2:29 PM, RedEye1911 said:

The same people that get upset when people call a T-6 a jet are the same people that will call tally on traffic in the NAS.

Visual Friendlies, Tally Traffic (I mean target).. right side open 🔥 

Edited by Biff_T
Spelling bee failure

On 10/19/2022 at 8:56 PM, nsplayr said:

Hey how's UPT Next going? We lost the thread about a page-and-a-half ago...

What I want is an 18X -> 11X pipeline. ~4-6 months should do it. DA-20 refresher then maybe T-6 only or even straight to the T-7. If you can supposedly make a brand new 11X pilot off the street with UPT Next in ~6 months, shit, you can certainly make an 11X from an 18X who already knows chock-to-chock AF flying, AF pubs, tons of mission stuff, etc.

The AF says it's short of pilots, the airlines say they're short of pilots, well the MDS with the most pilots is the MQ-9 and with satellite landing & recovery / ATLC / LEO satellite ops coming online now, those people are doing everything from engine start to shutdown, including killing our country's enemies. It's one weird trick to having more Air Force pilots (also CC the FAA please 🙏).

I'd love to see a TX pipeline for getting the (typically) younger, more motivate sub-set of 18X MQ-9 pilots into manned platforms and frankly that should lead to shutting down the 18X career field entirely. It was a stop-gap in the first place and everyone who is an aircraft commander should go through UPT, learn the same skills and have the same wings IMHO.

Especially with the only remaining RPA platform eventually sunsetting, 18X is kind of a death sentence for a brand new LT on active duty because there is absolutely not a plan for what to do with you when the Reaper is put out to pasture.

I just finished T-6 so I have a few more thoughts on this now. Honestly, I don't think those extra few months saved are worth it. Better to go through the entire thing in my opinion. Yes we have some knowledge and know concepts related to flying as an 18X but it's nowhere near as in depth as you'd need to have a TX transition. If you're good, you'll PA some rides anyway. If not, you can use the extra rides to get better. I do think on average we probably had better hands and knew the T-6 a little more than someone who hasn't gone though any formal flying training for the Air Force but not enough to make a TX course worth it.

• Like 1