First world problems

SwaggyMaggy

Question

So i am in a little bit of a dilemma (a good one). Currently 26 years old and I was recently accepted for the previous UPT board and am stoke, but during the dwell time I was applying to some guard units that I could see myself in if the active duty board didn't pan out. Ultimately, I haven't accepted/declined the Active duty UPT yet (because I haven't received any orders/RIP), and I just got a call from a Herc guard unit offering me a position flying with them. (Still no certainty that its an AGR gig). I have a wife and no children, and honestly the thing about active duty that irks me the most is the qweep associated with the job (Intel). What would you guys do and why?

5 answers to this question

19 hours ago, engeguy said:

Good to know. What if you applied for a UPT board and instead only got into URT. Would denying that still hurt your chances for applying to UPT again?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Depends on what the PSDM says, and how bad they're hurting for pilots.

Anecdotally, some claim that turning down URT/ABM/CSO made them less competitive for UPT. Personally, I was offered RPA my 2nd time applying and turned it down.  Got picked up my 3rd time for UPT. YMMV

Guard.

Because I wouldn't want to be relocated around the world on a whim working the long hours of indentured servitude during the slow motion collapse of a failing bureaucratic nightmare for 12 years without the ability to also pursue a career that doesn't devalue your intelligence, skills, and self-worth.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

[mention=79729]engeguy[/mention] Yes, you can be selected for the AD UPT board, turn it down, and still be hired in a Guard UPT Board. 
Also, last I was aware, if you turn down UPT for AD and then decide to apply AD again (for whatever reason), you will most likely not be selected for an AD board again.

As with anything else, nothing is impossible, but if you bail on AD to try your luck at the Guard and come up short, you’re likely SOL. 

Good to know. What if you applied for a UPT board and instead only got into URT. Would denying that still hurt your chances for applying to UPT again?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app