Unsponsored UPT Board for AD Marine Officer

Jetpower

Greetings All,

I am an active duty Marine Officer (non-rated) and would like to know if I am eligible to apply for the unsponsored UPT board. One recruiter (AFRC Officer Accession) said I could and the other said I could not since I will require two waivers, for age (just turned 30) and total commissioned time (7 years). I am aware of the sponsored UPT option which I am currently pursuing. I have already taken the AFOQT/TBAS, and got my PCSM. Please share your knowledge, thanks!  

Edited by Jetpower

I’ve heard no. In fact in the board announcements I saw (3 or 4 of them?) they specifically said no age/commissioned service ETPs iirc. But that could vary board to board. But if one recruiter said yes then maybe try to squeeze an app in? There is a person in pilot training right now who went unsponsored and had age and i think commissioned service waivers. Apparently said person had some serious connections though, so ymmv. Hopefully the sponsored route works out for you. Rush and apply wherever you can. Good luck. 

FlyArmy,

Thanks for the good gauge. I’m going to continue to rush the units. I should be able to compile a complete package together once I receive some letters of recommmendation from my supervisor and mentors. I am definitely looking forward to this opportunity. 

• 3 months later...

You can get a recruiter to work with you on having a packet ready, having all the paperwork required, medical stuff etc. It will make you look better when you rush a squadron and you can talk smartly about the process and you know what all it will take for you to get there. I had a recruiter work on my application to the board while I was rushing. All I needed was a unit to say yes to me and back me up with age and commission waivers. It’s a tough process that will make you feel like a bastard child from another branch. I ended up getting picked up my a ANG unit. As my packet moved along I can understand why some units will shy away from old fellas like ourselves. The with age and commission waiver applications and forms they got kicked back multiple times for missing initials or a signature here or there. Eventually, my conditional release expired and made the process even longer for me. 

Good news is that there is a new MFR out giving blanked waiver up to 33 and 8 yrs of commission time. 

I realize the post is a few months old but good luck anyway.

cheers.